Hondo's Bar

3:10 to Yuma

The NZA

51u75ShqsCL._SS500_.jpg

This was really good, especially after the expectation-lowering modern westerns like Open Range and shit do for you.

Crowe's a really great bad guy here, whose ruthless pose gets mixed up with ranchhand Batman (Bale) in a retelling of a classic western that has all the elements, even the Shane-like moments. The cliches are true to form, and the action and suspense are well shot/executed, with some particularly good moments from Bale's trying-to-do-right-now-former-soldier-protagonist.

There's not a whole lot to add here; if you're a fan of the genre, as you should be, its among the better ones since the early 90's when we got Unforgiven and Tombstone. That said, i gotta check out The Proposition finally, hopefully sometime soon.

Open Range had one of the best gunfights I've seen in ages and Robert Duvall hadn't been that good since Lonesome Dove. Probablem was Kevin Costner stank it up like usual and the non-shooting non-Duvall parts sucked ass.

But 3:10 to Yuma was great and Ben Foster deserved an Oscar Nomination for his supporting role which he plays brilliantly. It also occured to me that if you disregarded the fact that they obviously had nothing to do with one another storyline wise you could actually make this in your mind into a prequel to The Quick and the Dead.

I personally loved it. I hope they continue to make more Westerns like this today, considering most of the movies nowadays just plain sucks. Maybe they could coax Clint Eastwood to hop back on his saddle and go for one more ride?

That's about as likely as seeing the end of the Every Which Way But Loose trilogy or Dirty Harry 6

i dunno, i could see Eastwood doing one more although i imagine it'd be tempting to just leave it at Unforgiven.

Tor - agreed. christ, i even sat through All the pretty horses, if that tells you anything. Also, thanks for reminding me, when speaking of great modern westerns, TV series or not, i cant keep leaving Lonesome Dove out, that was top notch in my book.

youre gonna have me thinking all day about that prequel thing, even if i didnt really dig Quick & The Dead (felt like a Mortal Kombat western to me).

I actually liked Brisco County Jr. I thought it was a pretty funny show and I loved the music and the Bly episodes were the bomb! Not to mention I had a mad crush on Dixie Cousins, wow I thought she was hot! I was pretty pissed off when they cancelled the show after one season!

What about "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford", has anyone seen that? Any good? It should at least win an award for longed film title.

It would be beat out by 'Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan" :kotter:

In word count, Don't Be a Menace to South Central While Drinking Your Juice in the Hood wins by two words. Borat does have the edge on characters though.

And I was not joking about Brisco County Jr being a good modern western.

BriscoDVD.jpgBriscoCounty.jpg

I don't discriminate against comedies. One of my favorite Westerns is Maverick, which is also a comedy, based on a comedy TV series which I've never seen, but is widely highly regarded.

Maverick_movie.jpg

• 10 months later...

Just watched this the other day. What a refreshing new direction for classic westerns. I couldn't get past the first half hour of the good, bad and ugly - it is quite slow paced. But this one, wow! it's no last man standing action, but is a good mix of characterization and action. Ben Foster is a big surprise here, especially if you saw him in six feet under! Crowe is a great Wade and Bale is as always, perfect.

Granted, it's not realistic (ending) but you gotta admit this movie is damn good entertainment.

ps.. and that open range movie? i want my 2 hours back.

yeah, bale has a different way of speaking in every movie.. check out the prestige, vietnam poilot flick, american psycho and batman. he is very convincing. check out how he talks in his interviews..

and crowe does so well here... dare i say better than gladiator?

funny how this is an american western and the 2 top billed are australian and welsh (not sure, but i know he isn't american)

Maverick was more of a western parody than a western, it certainly had the setting but it mocked the conventions of westerns in a much more subtle manner than say Blazing Saddles or Wagons East.

Brisco County Jr. was a spiritual successor to Wild Wild West (the show, not the movie)

Archived