Hondo's Bar

Hellboy 2: The Golden Army

Hellboy_2_poster.jpg

July 11th, and i cant wait - the new villain looks great, but im not sure what book it's based off of (there's a vamp that looks like him in the current B.P.R.D. 1945 min-series). Either way, anyone else as hyped? I still stand that the animated was a little better (for me) than the 1st movie but that's not a slight against the film, it was very well done though, again, i was worried it was a bit too esoteric. Anyway, this looks along the same lines, and awesome.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

True enough.

Checked the IMDB site for more details. Ron Perlman, Selma Blair, and Doug Jones will reprising their roles (hopefully with David Hyde Pierce as Abe Sapien's voice). Guillermo del Toro's ben getting a bit of love in the Hobbit thread, so no one should be disappointed that he's also returning to direct this movie.

In case it wasn't obvious, I am looking forward to this.

I don't believe I've seen the animated series (cj has though I think?), but that's cool! At least it's someone who knows what they're doing. I just have a soft spot in my heart for David Hyde Pierce is all.

Edited by MetalHeart
typo... geeze I'm bad today.

• 2 months later...
eh, i prolly agree, i guess im just happy they can get the funding that they do. i mean, sure, Hellboy's big for indie/dark horse but a few years back, i dont think idve seen this being done, you know? I longs for more.

I don't know, Dark Horse has moved up in the world over the last 15 years what with The Mask, Sin City, Hellboy, and Alien vs. Predator being big films and even Mystery Men didn't do too bad.

And in reply to Logan, I am psyched to see this movie, Guillermo Del Toro is a brilliant film-maker and he will definitely bring the goods this movie just makes me pine more and more for him to do a movie in the realm of H.P. Lovecraft, I can practically taste it.

And in reply to Logan, I am psyched to see this movie, Guillermo Del Toro is a brilliant film-maker and he will definitely bring the goods this movie just makes me pine more and more for him to do a movie in the realm of H.P. Lovecraft, I can practically taste it.

Oh, hey. That would be good.

Well given that Hellboy One had five "monsters" in it (Hellboy, Abe, Samiel, Kroenen, and the zombie) and this one I lost count how many there were in the trailer then I'd say that's a good indication that he has a much higher budget, granted he used practical effects rather than CGI most of the time but even that isn't the cheapest in the world.

• 3 weeks later...

I saw the midnight showing of Hellboy last night. I was very worried going in, because I was such a big fan of the first movie. It was one of those things I didn't want to see get all fucked up. All of that went away after the first 15 seconds it was better than I thought it was going to be. Guillermo Del Toro and Mike Mignola are a great team based on a story they came up with and not on one of the books it's a real treat. Of comedy and horror and Del Toro still an obsession with bug like creatures. The new bad guy was also real cool and very creepy I don't want to give to much away about the story, or anything like that. The one thing I will say is that Ron Perlman is great! Everyone is put on this earth to do something. George Washington be president, Steven King write books, Ron Perlman Be Hellboy! He's just the shit and that's!

I saw the midnight showing of Hellboy last night. I was very worried going in, because I was such a big fan of the first movie. It was one of those things I didn't want to see get all fucked up. All of that went away after the first 15 seconds it was better than I thought it was going to be. Guillermo Del Toro and Mike Mignola are a great team based on a story they came up with and not on one of the books it's a real treat. Of comedy and horror and Del Toro still an obsession with bug like creatures. The new bad guy was also real cool and very creepy I don't want to give to much away about the story, or anything like that. The one thing I will say is that Ron Perlman is great! Everyone is put on this earth to do something. George Washington be president, Steven King write books, Ron Perlman Be Hellboy! He's just the shit and that's!

nice, even more hyped for tonight.

:ghost: by the way, good to have more texans!

Thursday night I witnessed HELLBOY II: THE GOLDEN ARMY!

Guillermo del Torro has created a successful sequel, but it also stands alone. I believe surpasses the original. As you expect it funny, but it's also got lots of heart. You can now tell this is the same visionary who directed Pan's Labrynth. The movie is grand in scope and there are interesting items and creatures to look at in nearly every frame. Though it is based on Mike Mignola great series, GDT has put his stamp on these great characters. But, he still maintains what makes the comic books work so well, which is the balance that Hellboy represents between light and dark. I saw many good things that I believe bode well for his Hobbit movies.