Hondo's Bar

Best of the Best

King of Snake

What were the best storywise or just the coolest looking cutscenes ever? I know the thread is gonna get RPG dominated (that is if anyone posts :D) but if there's any good ones to add from stuff like Metal Gear Solid (2), etc., add em to the list...try to keep things spoiler-free tho.

Vagrant Story - Just before the fight with Kali at the end of the Temple of Kiltia section is about the coolest scene I've seen in a game! Fucking classic!

FFVII - The end of disc 1 (ie the biggest spoiler for the game) or the flashback to Nibellheim (sp?) with Sephiroth among the flames and turning his back to 'camera'.

FFVIII - The opening sequence duel, I was blown away when I saw that on a demo disc, ages before I could even play the game. The space scene with Rinoa is about the most beautiful thing I've ever seen computer-rendered and the duelling Gardens just plain kicks ass!

Anyone got anymore?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately, since technology improves so much for games, classics get forgotten as they are less impressive now. But at the time, the most impressive cut scenes for me came from the original Resident Evil. I bought it knowing nothing in the middle of the summer. My friend said he heard it was really scary and we shoudl play it in the dark. So we started playing it at night ad never fell asleep. We were hooked and he came over every night for like weeks until school started. The cut scenes were really scary And along the graphics are corny now and the voice acting was corny even back then ("You were about to become a Jill sandwich", "Haha, you're right"), they were really impressive for the time. That was groundbreaking stuff back then. Maybe I've just become more jaded since then, but I've not been so impressed since then.

The intro to WarCraft II and the whole speech about ...

"NOW UNITED AGAINST A COMMON FOE MANKIND STANDS ON THE SHORES OF DESTINY AWAITING THE COMING OF THE TIDES OF DARKNESS!!!  DUNN DUN DUNNN DUNN!!!

that really sent the shivers up me spine

Metal Gear Solid 2, if for no other reason than sheer cinematic value: there were parts where that shit was like watchin a great movie, and the Zimmerman orhcestral soundtrack didnt hurt either.

I think the first cutscene i recall was from Ninja Gaiden 2.

• 5 months later...

I'm a big fan of Blizzard cut-scenes. The intro to Act V in Diablo II, the beginning of Starcraft, and the end of Episode III in Warcraft III come to mind as especially memorable ones.

Warcraft III has some amazing cutscenes. I also always liked the alien-type scene in StarCraft, where the marines board the science vessel, and the introduction scene to Brood War was great. Has anyone seen the introduction scene to Kingdom Hearts? It's gorgeous.

And I agree with IC. Without even discussing the graphics, Metal Gear Solid 2 has some of the most impressively directed and animated cutscenes I've ever seen. Uh, on the top of my head, I'd say the highlights are the into on the George Washington Bridge, the introduction of Vamp, the scene just before the Harrier fight, and (minor spoiler here) watching Solidus single-handedly take out 3 Metal Gears in seconds, towards the end.

Oh, and the intro scene to the GameCube Resident Evil revamp.

Have to agree with a lot of what's been said here. The FFVII Sephiroth scene is chilling, and that music just makes the whole thing damn incredible. I'd have to say the whole Cloud's dream sequence from that game rates highly too.

I especially love the Diablo 2 scene with Tyrael when he steps out of time for a moment and goes "Fool!...", and the resulting fight. In fact, all the D2 cut scenes are amazing - the weary narrative just builds and builds and the ending (before the expansion) is very cool.

Devil May Cry had a few pretty cool cut-scenes. I especially liked the part in the intro when Trish throws her motorcycle at Dante.

"Didn't your father teach you how to use a sword?"

"Swords, hah (pulling out and twirling two handguns on his fingers). Time to go to work, boys."

• 1 month later...

MGS 2 definately has to be one of the best. I wish i could check out how substance is.

note... However, I think the content of mgs 1 is better. Mabye because there was so much going on and so many new and strange things going on... graphically, mgs2, but the whole thing of mgs 1, even though not a 'cut scene' was awesome. If they remade mgs1 with playstation 2 graphics, it would be ungodly. who could forget the battle with psycho mantis? (i was using a sony tv and the font of hideo was the same that sony uses... I stopped playing cause i thought something was going on with my tv!)

ff10 also, from the little i've played, it has beautiful cutscenes.

i know i'm forgetting to mention a bunch, but i will get back here when i remember.

• 4 months later...

There was one game that no one mentioned that came to my mind. That was FFIX. In fact a lot of the story and reason why it was good seemed to come from it's cut-scenes. To mention a few- the main characters being chased by a dark mage, the summoning of Bahumut and Odin, and the fight between Alexander and Bahumut.

• 3 weeks later...

The blitzball/tidal wave scene at the beginning of FFX. That was nice. And the one later on with Yuna dancing across the water was beautiful.

The scenes in The Getaway are nicely done. Nothing spectacular like you'd find in Metal Gear or anything, but nice little London gangster scenes, with some damn good voice acting (the music sucks, though...thankfully they don't use it much).

I haven't played it, yet, because I've heard it sucks, but from what I've seen the new Batman game Dark Tomorrow has some wonderful cinematics to it. Has anyone actually played it?

What about Enter the Matrix? Can we even call those cut scenes?

• 1 month later...

I never could, either, until someone finally explained it to me.

You go find the picture you want on a website, basically, right-click on it, then select "Properties". Copy the address for the picture from there. Then in your post paste the address in with "[ img ]" (without spaces) before it and "[/ img ]" (without spaces) after it.

So -

[ img ] http://www.hulkgames.com/images/ss_screen_16.jpg [/ img ]

with spaces becomes

ss_screen_16.jpg

without spaces.

Edited by Silent Bob

• 1 year later...

ffvii: Either the Nibelheim burning, or the rise of the weapons

ffviii: the triple highwind launch to space, and the scene in all the music videos where squall gets impaled by edea's ice spell

ffix: never touched it

ffx: the cutscene before you have to fight kimahri, the underwater kiss, and the ending, the entire ending (it made me cry)

resident evil: the first person view introduction of the hunters

resident evil 2: when the tyrant crashes into the conferance room through a wall

resident evil, code veronica: when the dude goes all schizo, when your friend gets infected

resident evil 3: I forgot, been too long