• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Except, unlike Troy, Wanted is getting great reviews:

http://www.cinemaverdict.com/2008/06/20/review-wanted/

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25337920/

http://www.rowthree.com/2008/06/18/review-wanted/

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/imdb/r...=thrsiteimdbpro

Sorry guys, but good summer movies are a rare enough occurrence, I'm not going to boycott one of the few just because it deviates from the book it was based on. So did Jurassic Park.

You can't compare the discrepencies between JC book/movie(the best bit-man gets devoured by basilisks was covered in the sequel anyways) and Wanted. Sure 'nuff staying true to content would have made a preposterous, camp bomb of a movie but goddamnit why did they have to adapt this shit? ANd if so why did they have to even maintain the name? Guaranteed this movie wouldn't have pissed folks off anywehere near as much if it were a random movie that drew comparison to Wanted. Infact that would have only served to boost it's stock. Same goes for Punisher. Sure Wanted's getting favourable reviews, but I could give a shit what some coked-out tamed hack gets to write about his last paycheck and would sooner divine the overall effect of this movie by reading patterns in my dhiarretic turds.

this is the reason why i have a major issue with this movie. here is a summary of what the graphic novel is about. as you can all see the movies resemblence in the graphic novel story pretty much ends after the first paragraph.

Wesley Gibson is the ultimate pathetic loser. His girlfriend is cheating on him, his boss ridicules him day after day, he slaves away at a boring job just to get nowhere, and getting walked over is a daily part of life. This all changes when he discovers that his father is the deadliest hitman the world has ever seen and killing people is written on Wesley’s very DNA. To make matters worse, his father is dead and Wesley must take his place or go back to his pathetic life.

He gets brought into a world where super-villains have taken over, getting rid of every last superhero on earth. The villains call themselves The Fraternity and they control everything you see behind the scenes and can do whatever they wish as they have rewritten history to hide their presence from daily life and have every government organization working for them. The world is divided up between five different villains, each leading their “house” in the manner they so choose. There is dissention amongst the ranks though, as two of the houses, led by Mister Rictus and The Future want to go public and rule the world with fear and power. The other houses disagree, worried that the heroes of the multiverse will descend and attack what they have so carefully set up. Caught in the middle is Wesley Gibson, who trains to take the mantle of his father, The Killer, to join the rank with The Professor, one of the villains who would prefer a more legitimized existence of villainhood.

When Mister Rictus shows his hand in a diabolical plot to take over, it’s up to Wesley and his father’s girlfriend, The Fox, to stop the villains one bullet at a time. Wesley goes from being nothing to being Wanted in the blink of an eye.

this is a story about super villains revenge on super hereos, not about some league of assassins. the main villain Mr. Rictus has a skull for a face for christs sake, and morgan freemans character should be a short balding evil scientist called the professor. and one of my favorite charaters... crap (literally) i forgot his name, but basically he looks like clayface but is made completely made of shit is now where in the movie.

Uhm.... Shithead? He was your favourite? Heh. I was a big fan of Fuckhead(Bizarro) myself, in a tragic kinda way. Is that quote from Wiki?

Another thing that caused stabbing pains in my tender bits the first and only time I saw the preview is the use of magic bullets. That's Underworld's (TM Marvel) bit you fucking hacks!@+!!! At least imbue the man with some natural skill as opposed to this fucking cuntrag excuse for a 'darkside' movie. Acch. Fuck.

to summarize 'tor's review for the TL:DR crowd: it out-matrixed the matrix, plus threw in Fight Club and a solid ten minutes of jolie's titties, and thusly he gave it a 2.7 out of 13 and refused to read the trade.

hah, so yeah, you werent heralding the trade as Millar's finest like some people were. it was fun shock value around an interesting idea, sad to see the movie sorta left that idea out though.

It was good but there were a lot of... let's say questionable things he put in there. Honestly it reminded me of Garth Ennis' The Pro only it was just slightly more serious.

I only caught the Wiki of the comic and went to see Wanted, and I thought it was fun, good even. I don't see why people are dumping on it so, but then again, from what I understood of the comic plot from Wiki, it really screws with it a lot; but if you take it at face value, it really is a pretty awesome action flick... no full on tits, though, that was just a tease...

Ahh there you go. I'm giving an :confused: to Drifter for clarifying the burning issue: All tease, no nipple. Therefore no need to entertain the idea of watching this movie. Call me a bitch or whatever else, I agree with Jailbayt that Wanted was by no means Millar's finest, and the comparison to The Pro is actually pretty spot-on, but it was just so damned entertaining I can't stand the idea of some bastardised 'homage' at best.

Ahh there you go. I'm giving an :sarcasm: to Drifter for clarifying the burning issue: All tease, no nipple. Therefore no need to entertain the idea of watching this movie. Call me a bitch or whatever else, I agree with Jailbayt that Wanted was by no means Millar's finest, and the comparison to The Pro is actually pretty spot-on, but it was just so damned entertaining I can't stand the idea of some bastardised 'homage' at best.

The movie is intertaining in the same way they just get the same result with a totally different storyline, also Wesley isn't a complete cocksmith in the movie and doesn't look like Eminem (honestly with the likeness he couldn't have been anything BUT a cocksmith)

See that's the thing. While you can't identify with an *ahem* cocksmith, it's nice to have a character once in a while that breaks the mould. I'm sick to shit of seeing the 'hesitant descent into evil'. You know who did that previously and did it better? Episode 3. Let's see this Mcavoy cunt of a poor excuse for a comic impersonator act or kill his way through a Jedi academy!!

See that's the thing. While you can't identify with an *ahem* cocksmith, it's nice to have a character once in a while that breaks the mould. I'm sick to shit of seeing the 'hesitant descent into evil'. You know who did that previously and did it better? Episode 3. Let's see this Mcavoy cunt of a poor excuse for a comic impersonator act or kill his way through a Jedi academy!!

Are you really saying that an actor can't top a performance by Haden Christensen? Trust me, this kicks that and the big badass scene in the comic in its face. Remember the lobby scene from the Matrix that was so fucking awesome for the time and was really great until you reflect on it and realize that Neo and Trinity are really just killing a bunch of innocent people trying to do their job? Well it's kind of like that only way cooler and you don't look back on it and feel bad about yourself.

See I, I watched movies since the Matrix and really only have the faintest recollection of what you're talking about. I understand Australia to be the cultural skidmark of the free world, but we stopped wearing black trenchcoats and sunnies at night about 2002. You may recall those Wachowski fellas made some sequels that kinda took the shine off that apple. I can't state that Episode 3 and/or Hayden Christenson are better than Wanted and/or James McAvcoy's performance without seeing Wanted, which just isn't going to happen.

WHat I WAS saying is that the slow descent into evil has been done many, many times, and cited Episode 3 as a more favourable example of this. To a lesser extent I was impugning James McAvoy's(his name is ash on my tongue!) heterosexuality, omitting the general 'fag' terminology and simply pointing out he's made his name as a lacecurtain period actor, insomuch as he not only acts in movies where everyone dresses and talks like poofs, but said genre foists the feeling of especially heavy bleeding from my reproductive organs, however I digress. Wesley Gibbons the comic character, while despicable is nearly unique as is Wanted the Comic. Same goes for The Fox, The proffessor and any other character you should care to invoke. They're all entirely two-dimensional and should be taken thusly, not converted into hookers with hearts of gold.

Well, there was no real decent into evil in Wanted, this was very much about a young man lost in life, discovering some superhuman reflexive abilities and then being totally fucked with only to end up really taking control of his destiny at the end. The last words in the movie were said straight into the camera, directly at the audience: What the fuck have you done with your life lately?

and now that I re-read that, I'm suddenly reminded about all the clichéd anime plots that covers.

See I, I watched movies since the Matrix and really only have the faintest recollection of what you're talking about. I understand Australia to be the cultural skidmark of the free world, but we stopped wearing black trenchcoats and sunnies at night about 2002. You may recall those Wachowski fellas made some sequels that kinda took the shine off that apple. I can't state that Episode 3 and/or Hayden Christenson are better than Wanted and/or James McAvcoy's performance without seeing Wanted, which just isn't going to happen.

WHat I WAS saying is that the slow descent into evil has been done many, many times, and cited Episode 3 as a more favourable example of this. To a lesser extent I was impugning James McAvoy's(his name is ash on my tongue!) heterosexuality, omitting the general 'fag' terminology and simply pointing out he's made his name as a lacecurtain period actor, insomuch as he not only acts in movies where everyone dresses and talks like poofs, but said genre foists the feeling of especially heavy bleeding from my reproductive organs, however I digress. Wesley Gibbons the comic character, while despicable is nearly unique as is Wanted the Comic. Same goes for The Fox, The proffessor and any other character you should care to invoke. They're all entirely two-dimensional and should be taken thusly, not converted into hookers with hearts of gold.

Maaaaaan, big words and visual aids only serve to make you more confusing. Fox is still two-dimensional, she's just two-dimensional in a less annoying way she never encourages Wesley to fuck things hard with his steel gun or talk like Pam Grier in the 70s.

As for Wesley, he's pretty much Edward Norton's character from Fight Club only with his kickass meter turned to 11. He's not really doing the whole slow descent into evil, he's doing a slow descent into becoming badass and it's not really that slow it just takes a few in-movie weeks as opposed to the 15 seconds it took in the book. And dammit, Clint Fucking Eastwood did period acting!

Archived