Hondo's Bar

boycott Wanted!!

wanted.JPG------ should not have

wanted1.jpg------ should have.

With only two days left for the release of Wanted (supposedly based on the Wanted Graphic novel written by one of my favorite writers Mark Millar) i felt obligated to pull an O'reilly and call for a boycott of this film. nothing about this movie even comes close to the graphic novel.... nothing!!! i've heard of alan moore getting pissed off over certain changes to "From Hell", "V for Vendetta" and most recently "Watchmen." but if something like this were to happen to one of his stories he'd probably go on a killing spree. League of assassins??? what/????!!! but it does have Angelina in it...... well maybe it wont be too bad........

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

from hell and v were great, and i did enjoy them, but he still nagged and complained. league was the worst in graphic novel to film transition, how did i forget that one... oh yeah because it was forgettable.... god i still remember the pathetic Mr. hyde they put on screen.

LOEG was awful, compared to the graphic novel. I didn't read the book until after I saw the movie. It was a real life WTF? moment for me. I also just finished reading and watching The Ruins. The novel was sublime, the movie was merely a shadow of what the book was, if that even. I really hate the way some books are portrayed in hollywood.

Take The World According to Garp. both the book and the movie were good, in their own right. The charecters, the emotions, everything was there! Same with Perfume. Why do they dumb movies down so much? It just isn't right.

I don't know I'm an intense fan of League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, it's my favorite work of Alan Moore's but I still found the film enjoyable even if it wasn't based on the comic but for one they couldn't get license for 2 of the characters and for 2 you just can't put that much buggery in one movie.

I thought Tom Tykwer did his best with Perfume...

I agree. i have no complaints with the movie. Stuff was taken out, but the charecters that were left in remained true to themselves. They made the story worth reading, and the movie worth watching. Without good charecter development, anything that is done plot wise gets lost.

I found myself not caring who died in the movie of The Ruins, but with the book I did care. alot!

Wanted is just another movie starring AJ and that black guy that (yeah i know his name is Samual L. Jackson) who is in like, a bunch of movies. I mean seriously. that's what will make it sell. No one I've asked even knows it's based on a comic book! They just get all, 'oh i heard AJ gets nekkid in it!!'

Wanted is just another movie starring AJ and that black guy that (yeah i know his name is Samual L. Jackson) who is in like, a bunch of movies. I mean seriously. that's what will make it sell. No one I've asked even knows it's based on a comic book! They just get all, 'oh i heard AJ gets nekkid in it!!'

That black guy is Morgan Freeman actually.

Your right on Baytor!

When I heard they were making this graphic novel into a book I was so excited! The look and tone of this book is awesome! The rumor is that Millar had already sold the movie rights, before the last issue was published.

Then I saw the trailer, and I was very confused.

What happened to the awesome black costumes. Visually it resembles nothing of the graphic novel. I understand some changes must be made in changing uniforms, for the silver screen. But come on you cannot tell me that these costumes would not have worked?

mark_millar_wanted.jpg

That being said, the movie looks interesting, Timur Bekmambetov is a visionary director his Nightwatch and Daywatch movies are amazing! I am sure the movie will be fun with insane action, it just does not feel anything like the graphic novel.

What happened to the awesome black costumes. Visually it resembles nothing of the graphic novel. I understand some changes must be made in changing uniforms, for the silver screen. But come on you cannot tell me that these costumes would not have worked?

its much more than that, the story isnt even the same, its a completly different story from the graphic novel.

Millar posted this on his message board:

You'll be surprised how much we kept when you re-read the comic. The first half is very close (especially the training sequences, where they really did a great job, especially in that butcher's lot). But the third act is also very close. They just make Wesley's raid on The Fraternity cooler. Likewise, the twist with the Dad worked better than saving it for the end and Wesley going back to his old girlfriend and yelling at her was SO much better with The Fox being with him. It was tweaked and made BETTER, I think. Great job.

Even the biggest change-- the loom stuff in the middle Timur wrote-- works really well. I think the fate thing really made the character more empathetic as the 'killing for fun' stuff would have made him a little hateful. They kept all the best bits and junked my over-indulgences. So I feel very happy as it was a kind of perfected version that made it to the screen. Could not be happier.

PS Wanted 2 already being planned and they've asked me how I can develop some of the other stuff from the book into the sequel. We'll see what box office is like at the weekend, but everyone knows this is going to make a LOT of dough.

Wall-E permitting. Fucking bastard of a wee robot.

I agreed with you guys at first, but I've changed my tune after seeing the red band trailer. The story wasn't really the strong part of Wanted, it was the attitude and as long as that attitude makes it onto the screen, I think it'll be a fun ride. And if Millar likes it, I'll give it a shot.

Except, unlike Troy, Wanted is getting great reviews:

http://www.cinemaverdict.com/2008/06/20/review-wanted/

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25337920/

http://www.rowthree.com/2008/06/18/review-wanted/

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/imdb/r...=thrsiteimdbpro

Sorry guys, but good summer movies are a rare enough occurrence, I'm not going to boycott one of the few just because it deviates from the book it was based on. So did Jurassic Park.

Quite the opposite. I just know how much IAB (baytor) just LOOOOVES short abbreviations like LotR. They make him LoL

^_^ Whosawhathuh? Seriously the only thing that pissed me off with Lord of the Rings was that there was no Tom Bombadill. They cut a lot out but Jackson delivered the meat and potatoes of the story quite well.

No in the realm of cutting important shit out that pisses me off you can see Stanley Kubrick's The Shining with Jack Nicholson.

Archived