Hondo's Bar

Dexter

MH: I totally agree. Between S1 of Game of Thrones, S6 of Dexter, and S2 of Boardwalk Empire there is just way too much incest happening on pay cable. Seriously.

Saw the season's ending coming pretty much as soon as the therapist pointed out Deb was in love w/ Dex. Ugh. That dream sequence was so fucking awkward. I felt icky the whole time watching it. Which is weird b/c they're a married couple irl.

I thought it was stronger at the beginning of the season, but it did have some good twists; all in all a damn good season.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin
  • Upvote 1

• 6 months later...

Here's a cool little SDCC2012 nugget I just caught. There was apparently a DEXTER themed cafe w/ a large mural of Dex & Deb

aTHvJ.jpg

Pretty cool, but nothing special, right? Well, look closer and you'll see. . .

1Gqux.jpg

nwErB.jpg

Yup, the entire thing was made w/ syringes, knives, tape, slides, that red, blood analysis string he uses, and of course plastic trash bags. This thing is brilliant.

• 3 weeks later...

obviously crazy spoiler-rific, but...i may stay around for one more series. may.

ps more silver lining:

Executive producer Sara Colleton confirmed that Season 8 will be the show's last season and they already know how the show is going to end

• 1 month later...

Fantastic first episode. Is it just me, or does Harry become more of a dick each season?

Dad: No, you can't have a puppy.

Dex: Why?

Dad: BECAUSE YOU WILL KILL IT!!!

I mean, damn. Harsh. Also, anyone else disappointed they cut away when he took the fire extinguisher to the mob guy's face? C'mon Sho'time.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I liked this season. WIthout spoiling too much, this season more than any other thusfar has given Dexter an aspect of humanity/ a human tether, the intrigue as Captain Laguerta starts reassembling the puzzle from scratch/season 1, Admittedly the Dexter/Deb thing got weird but Quinn was outstanding this season and Ray Stevenson was fucking amazing.

Only foible I found with the whole season was Dexter's reference to lizard brain & instinct, which flies in the face of the rich character development they've put together over the years, but then all it just means is he went from being a relatable character to not, so it's a personal thing.

Hey Panch- Their dick move was ending it right where they did because it can literally go anywhere from here.

This season was the tale of two seasons for me.

I wanted to see more Ray Stevenson. Fabulously gay assassin badasses is something we don't get enough of. But then the season completely changed with the Hannah stuff.

Quinn's story was cool, but ended without enough tits. Laguerta has annoyed me for years, but I'm glad they finally made a real cop out her. And bringing back Doaks was awesome!

Yeah, the end was crazy. I have NO IDEA what's coming next.

• 1 month later...

So I cracked out on S7 and finished it all over the MLK weekend. Firstthing, how much is this babysitter making, b/c 2/3 of his paycheck must go to her as he is w/ his son a grand total of 2 hrs a day, tops. Annoying pet peeve I had. Also, I agree w/ Panch, the Ray Stevenson character felt underused. He had the one scene of badassness in the Colombian bar then that was basically it.

Taken out by the terrible actor that ran the strip club was a cheap out for him. But they had to cram in the "Dex bond's w/ a killer" character in, so he was it this season. Also, the sloppy writing of having Quinn kill the guy was so disappointing. One clear example of how the writing has was unevenly predictable this season. And as for the unpredictable...

The whole Hannah thing was fuuuuuuuuuucked up. The entire time they were together (like 5 episodes?) I had a voice in the back of my head going: this makes no sense, this makes no sense, this makes no sense... The Stevenson character was supposed to make you believe Dex could somehow be more open to "twu wuv," but I just wasn't buying it. It's like the feeling I got in the Burton Batman film when Alfred let Vicki Vale in to the Batcave.

However, the pacing did make up for a lot of the less than stellar writing. Nice transitions from one foil to the next. Dex "killing" his Dark Passenger and just becoming a "regular" serial killer felt like a really odd move and did make me like him less. I think the last time Dex killed an "innocent" was one or two seasons ago when he killed a guy in a gas station bathroom in order to keep from getting caught.

Anyway, no way Deb is getting out of this series alive. They have fucked this poor woman up six ways to Sunday over the last 7 seasons. Death would be a fucking mercy for her at this point.

But yeah, S8 is coming none too soon. I'm going to definitely watch it, but w/ much lowered expectations.

And I finally read up on wikipedia about the books...

S1 sticks fairly close to the first book but in the book Dex's brother never dies and Deb finds out about Dex in the end. Also, Rita and Dex do get married, but she never dies, they have a daughter and Cody & Astor become killers. Last seasons' killer was based on one of the books loosely though. Also, Dex's Dark Passenger is an actual demon that posses him in the novels. Mmkay. Lundy & The Trinity Killer sound like MUCH better storylines.

Also, there is one book about cannibals, so I do expect to see that in some fashion in S8 as I don't think we've seen that before in any of the previous seasons.

• 2 months later...

Daaaaamn...

http://youtu.be/dy6u5rXqN5o

This is about how I expected Deb to react. I honestly have no idea how this series will end. Dex kills Deb? Deb kills Dex? Hot Blonde serial killer kills either or both of them? I've a sneaky feeling it will end w/ a time jump of Harrison as an adult--whether or not he's like his mom or pop though, it could go either way.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin