Hondo's Bar

Dexter

• 3 months later...

dexter_returns_2011.jpg

3 new characters, show "going back to its roots"

It’s out with the new and in with the old as Dexter heads into its sixth season. “Dexter this season will be in some ways a return to the Dexter that you’ve seen in the early seasons,” Showtime president David Nevins told TVLine at Thursday’s 4th Annual Television Academy Honors in Beverly Hills. “There’s a really interesting story and journey that he’s going to be on this year. There’s going to be some degree of getting back to his roots.”

And that includes putting the focus back on the sibling dynamic at the heart of the show. “There will be a microscope on the Deb/Dexter relationship this season,” Nevins revealed. “Over time you’re going to see that relationship evolve and change, no questions about it.”

Season 6 — production on which begins later this month ahead of a fall premiere — will be similar to Season 5 in at least one key way: Dexter won’t face off against a singular menace a la Trinity and the Ice Truck Killer. “It is not one big bad,” he confirmed. “There’s one interesting story that will move through the season, and it will be cast very interestingly, but it’s not exactly that one person.”

returns 9/24! ps

ekDH9.png

kDRqG.jpg

NZ5VQ.jpg

WV5TM.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Anyone following the new season?? I must say that

i was a really happy to see Brian return in the last episode. Its a shame it lasted so little.. But, of course if Dex embraces his darkness he would stop being a charismatic and likeable killer... So far, so good. I cant wait to see where does it leads this Doomsday killer stuff.

Props to Edward James Olmos for yet another great character!

really? i recall digging s6 as it went along (Julia Styles was fun) but i think it takes a lotta heat for wrapping itself up like it did.

kind've a catch 22, right? you off styles, and now dexter's just that guy who loses a chick every season. if you don't, she quietly walks off into the sunset like nothing happened. i bash the show for using deus ex's in the past, but by the end of the season, i kinda saw where they'd painted themselves into a corner...killing julia seemed so easy/cliche that i was arguing with kertins that they couldn't do it. i just didnt know what way to go if they didn't and it felt like neither did they.

Messed up my seasons in my previous post. I finished S5 (Julia Stiles season) and I haven't yet begun S6 (Edward James Olmos season).

really? i recall digging s6 as it went along (Julia Styles was fun) but i think it takes a lotta heat for wrapping itself up like it did.

kind've a catch 22, right? you off styles, and now dexter's just that guy who loses a chick every season. if you don't, she quietly walks off into the sunset like nothing happened. i bash the show for using deus ex's in the past, but by the end of the season, i kinda saw where they'd painted themselves into a corner...killing julia seemed so easy/cliche that i was arguing with kertins that they couldn't do it. i just didnt know what way to go if they didn't and it felt like neither did they.

I liked the ending. I think a lot of fans were probably pissed it didn't end happily for Dex. But that's the whole point, it can't end happily for a sociopath. They're incapable of changing. Sure, they can "manage" their urges and work to "fit in" as Dex has done so masterfully, but in the end a true sociopath is one for life. And that's what makes Dex as a protagonist so compelling; as much as it seems he'll be "cured" or "change" he can't be and won't. He's a classic tragic character. As for the Stiles aspect to the season 5 finale. . .

I thought they stayed true to Lumen's character w/ the ending. She was driven by revenge and once that had been satiated, she took a step back and saw Dex is not who she really was. I thought letting her live and deciding to leave Dex was a bold choice. Offing her would've been the punk way out for the writers.

yeah, again, i tend to agree there.

and i definitely agree with the fun way the writing gets people to forget just what Dexter really is while you're rooting for him (The Shield did an amazing job with Vick Mackie in a similar vein, i thought)...people're waiting for dex to either level off or just hightail it out of that sweet condo one day, but about the only way this can go down, i think, is the ever-building relationship with deb shat all over just to have her catch him, bring him in & heartbreak all around. it's gonna be gloriously painful.

Yeah, agreed w/ The Shield comment. And that's definitely a possible scenario for the ending of DEXTER. However, I'd hope Deb would be spared finding out about Dex or having to arrest/kill him. I think the avoidance of such a scenario last season shows how much the writers tend to agree that's pretty much a point of no return for Dex & Deb. Personally, I think it'd be more merciful if Deb died before she found out the truth about Dex.

aw, cmon! sure it'd be merciful, but it'd be walking away from such a momentous buildup. i mean, The Shield didn't end the way i'd (or prolly most) envisioned it, but it was fitting. Dex has to be held accountable at some point, and if it's not Deb, i feel like they'd be missing out on something they've spent so many season working towards - for years, she was this kind've annoying figure that couldn't solve shit without dex, now she's grown as a character & established and all...i dunno, all those talks they have about trust & their parents and all, if it doesnt lead towards a gut-wrenching conclusion of her hauling him in, i'm gonna feel kinda cheated.

...so yeah, anyone still watching this?

WTF @ THE TWIST. racking my brain here to look for inconsistencies...okay, so none of the victims saw Olmos, but didn't Dexter say "Geller saw me" or some shit? im reading that tom hank's son/whats-his-name was the one that spotted him & pointed, but...goddammit, this show just Shamylan'd me hard.

ps "yup that's my IP address"

Yeah we're watching, and kudos to the creative team for such a friggin' twist!

same as you, I tried to find goofs but I think they've done it right the whole way through. Ehhhhhhhhxcept it just occured to me, witness/survivor account talked of two men. Theoretically if the guy's psychosis is far along enough he might talk in two distinct voices and possibly redistribute his weight/walk differently, but the other explanation is that Geller was actually around for maybe the first half of the season and then the kid lost it at some point and killed him for the ending to BSG or something.

heh.

which witness account specifically? the one he let go said that, yeah? id thought about that too, if he offed him later - it's totally possible. if he killed him before all the killings went down, i'm wondering if he'd have had any reason for doing so past "he so cray."

kertins theory = "maybe he killed him after dude killed his sister?"

• 4 weeks later...

...anyone else catch the finale?

i was about to groan @ being right back at status quo, but...cat's outta the bag, FINALLY!

also: really hope this dex-crush sidestory gets dropped or dealt with quickly, i gotta assume it's just there so she'll have more incentive to cover for him? so awkward

• 3 weeks later...

Caught up on the last 8 episodes of season 6 in the span of like 3 days.

As for Kertain's theory, I'm pretty sure they say Gellar had been dead for 3 years! Uber-Creepy!

This season, made me realize what utter shit season 5 was. Kinda wish the whole Nebraska side story was more than just a one-off. They could have gotten a lot more life out of the whole "dark passenger manifested in the form of his brother". I would have liked to see some interplay between the voice of Brian and the voice of Papa Morgan. Gotta say, this season was a real return to form for the show. Everyone's side stories served either the main storyline or setup for future stories (Louis the creepy Intern, what's going on there?) this time out. As awkward as the whole Debster thing is, I love that it is just more evidence that Dexter is the most well adjusted character in the show! Sure it's twisted and seems sudden, but this is a really twisted show. Glad to see they aren't forgetting that! As far as the cliffhanger, Damn. It's bigger than season 4 if you ask me. I mean, season 4 was powerful, but this was like "OH shit....now what?!?".

During the credits, my girlfriend was like "Are they gonna show a preview for the next episode??"

"Babe, they probably haven't even written it yet, let alone filmed it."

Her face was priceless. The picture of despondency.

I haven't read anything in this thread since S6 began b/c I didn't want any spoilers, but I'm 7 episodes in now and I have to say this is one of the best seasons since the first. The Doomsday guys really are a B-plot, but all the stuff w/ Dex, Deb, and Batiste is gold. I'm even digging the Matsuka intern shtick. Cant wait to see how this all pans out.

And Mos Def as Br. Sam was a stroke of casting genius.

RIP Br. Sam. Nick deserved it. can't wait to see what happens when Dex start talking to hallucinations of his brother rather than Harry.