Hondo's Bar

Movie & TV Blargh

There's no endgame to the franchise (because finality is a franchise killer) but the logic is fully consistent, each installment is just the big players reacting to the events of the previous movie and things we learn in each movie effect things that happen in subsequent movies. The issue is that the series is dedicated to maintaining a status quo that it uses like a crutch. Arnold and John Connor should've been out of the franchise after part 3 but they keep bringing them back. Genisys actually did the most interesting thing in killing John Connor and suggesting that he might never even been born, I'm actually kinda bummed that trilogy didn't come to fruition because even though it deeply referenced the previous films it went in a brave new direction that was far more interesting than anything that came before.

I guess a way Cameron can reinvent the series - is have time-travelers 'travel' across alternate timelines.

o-GOOGLE-facebook.jpg

I think Baytor mentioned this earlier - John Connor is technically a different John Connor as the movies progress - somewhere, there was once a timeline w/ John's original father - whoever that is. (Kyle Reese couldn't always have been John's father - before all the time-travel bidness...a John Conner did exist - right? I mean, logically - he had to?)

They could play w/ that. Maybe let the John, Sarah, Reese characters go - but reinvent it w/ the kinda logic they played w/ in BTTF2...w/ a 1985A, 1985B...character(s) time-traveling through alternate timelines. Really play up 'Cause n' Consequence'...real ramifications to changes in 'history'...and juggling all that...while trying to avoid being 'Tuh-minated'.

• 5 weeks later...

MV5BNTk1M2I2OTUtNDRlYS00MGI5LWE5NDktZmQ4YjRhOTY1ZmJjXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDcyMjQ4MzU@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,699,1000_AL_.jpg

7ZYSesI.png

Since she was a little girl, Sook-hee was raised to be a deadly assassin. She gladly accepts the chance to start a new life when South Korea's Intelligence Agency recruits her as a sleeper agent, with the promise of complete freedom after ten years of service. But soon after taking on her new identity as Chae Yeon-soo, a 27-year-old theatre actress, she begins to realize that for someone who has lived as a killer her entire life, normal is no easy task. When two men from her past suddenly appear in her new life, it unlocks dark secrets that should've stayed hidden, and the fallout is swift and explosive.

right, so onto the pile that one goes

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

our new search is awesome but i can't find the old 24 topic

24 to return again... as a legal drama?

EXCLUSIVE: Fox is developing a potential new incarnation of its Emmy-winning drama series that would have a female lead and take the real-time format of the terrorism-themed original and apply it to a different arena, criminal justice.

Details about the premise are sketchy, but I hear that the potential new 24 series centers on a female prosecutor who uncovers a legal conspiracy and has to work against the clock to save a death row inmate facing imminent execution whom she had helped prosecute but may be innocent. I hear this is part of an anthological take on 24 that would tackle a new world with new characters each season.

24: Criminal Intent could work i guess 

• 2 weeks later...

Just some general obituary notices:

John Hillerman passed Nov. 9th at age 84. He played Higgins in Magnum P.I. and Howard Johnson, owner of the ice cream parlor with 1 flavor, in Blazing Saddles.

Earle Hyman passed Nov. 17th at age 91. He played Bill Cosby's character's dad in the Bill Cosby Show in the late 80s and early 90s as well as was the voice actor for Panthro in the 80s Thundercats cartoon.

On 11/21/2017 at 12:28 AM, The NZA said:

There goes all the monies.

Actually, thanks for posting nza, but I'm probably gonna stay away from the sale this go-around. I still have at  five movies from the last time this sale went down that I haven't watched. 

What've you got on your list, Nemo? Anything out there I should reconsider?

For me?  It's mostly DVD upgrades...'Rushmore', 'Life Aquatic'...Chaplin's 'Gold Rush' - on blu for $10...hey, now.

It's a 'Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World' has a very interesting, ginormous restoration effort - I've been waiting to nab that one for a very long while now...also, 10 beans.

If you don't already own 'Modern Times' on blu - the supplemental material alone is worth 10 bucks...so is 'Safety Last'...

The original '58 Blob' - I usually see that running for over $30...half-off at $10?  That's freakin' rare.  Normally, BnN is the most expensive of all venues - pretty surprised at these price slashes.

EDIT:  I looked deeper into the page...the prices listed ARE the discounted price:  All flicks have been cut down to $19.99 - my statement still stands..."BnN is the most expensive of all venues."

Edited by Little Nemo McFly
I looked at the fine print...

Yeah, I’ve done this B&N Criterion sale two or three times in the past and you really have to do a deep dive and compare with Amazon to find the real deals. This B&N sale usually saves you real money on the sets. However, I already own most of those from the previous sales (Shoah, Lady Snowblood, Samurai Trilogy, etc.) 

This time around I picked up only two films mainly because I was already buying a crap ton of books on sale and shipping was free. I picked up the Seventh Seal and Harakiri for about $3 less than the regular Amazon price. Pfft. Got about 20 books though, most as Christmas gifts.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
2 hours ago, The NZA said:

finally, a relaunch i'd be interested in! 

R.I.P. tommy 

I would be all about this! Tommy would be terribly missed of course, but hopefully they can get Cole on board. After hearing all the rumors about Martin and Tisha not getting along years ago, it's nice to see them hanging out! Makes this seem possible! All three of them look great. 

• 2 weeks later...

Chris Tucker Confirms ‘Rush Hour 4’ Is Officially Happening

Last year, while visiting The Cruz Show, Jackie Chan confirmed that ‘Rush Hour 4’ is in the works, but today we get confirmation from Chan’s co-star Chris Tucker confirming the production of the fourth installment in the popular franchise.

Chris Tucker appeared on ESPN’s podcast The Plug. Tucker was asked if him and Jackie Chan would team up ever again for the Rush Hour franchise, to which Tucker replied, “It’s happening. This is gonna be the rush of all rushes.” Tucker continued, “Jackie is ready and we want to do this so that people don’t ever forget it.”

Last year, Tucker said “For the last seven years, we’ve been turning down, turning down the script. But yesterday, we agreed.” and that’s when Jackie Chan said Tucker was on the fence about coming back.

Still no other information has been revealed but keep it locked for more information.

i keep reading that it's a good thing i passed on 3 as well 

Chris Hemsworth in negotiations to star in 'Men in Black' soft reboot

Chris Hemsworth is in early negotiations to star in Sony’s self-styled spinoff of the sci-fi action-comedy franchise Men in Black.

F. Gary Gray, who directed last year's Fate of the Furious, is due to helm the movie, which has a script by Iron Man writers Matt Holloway and Art Marcum. The pic is slated for release on June 14, 2019.

Akin to how Jurassic World revived the Jurassic Park film series, Sony’s reboot is to feature new characters rather than Agents K and J, portrayed by Tommy Lee Jones and Will Smith, respectively, and build on the contemporary sci-fi world in which they operated. 

Sources say that the studio is hoping to round out a diverse ensemble cast and may be potentially eyeing the leads to be white male, a female of color and an older man. The story will be a global adventure.

so we have a functional search now, but i still can't find threads for old franchises like MIB!

if there was one then it must have been deleted, it's not showing up for me either and I tried a few combos... also, they need J or K as the new head of MIB, bring in new agents but there have got to be cameos for continuity... too bad Rip Torn went mental, I missed him in 3.

They should just remake the first one w/ all genders reversed.

I was kidding - don't do that. :wink:

Sequel / soft reboot - introduce a new cast w/ cameos from the old cast as their actual characters...and build on what's been established.

Unless that's waaay too hard a concept to write - then, yeah - just remake the first one.

It's always been an over-the-top, FX-heavy, one-liner bonanza - I don't see how re-introducing MiB to a new generation, can lose itself.  Unless...politics are injected into it.

Huh, I've run down the entirety of Mystery Hondo's Theater 3000 and we apparently do not have any dedicated Men in Black thread. A full search for the phrase throughout the entirety of the forums shows that we have talked about the films and there was even a mini-movie review of 3 but we don't have a dedicated thread. If we ever did in the past it's gone now. weird.