Hondo's Bar

Movie & TV Blargh

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

M. Night Shyamalan Wants To Make Unbreakable 2

Like most of the titles in M. Night Shyamalan’s filmography, the end of his 2000 film Unbreakable comes with an interesting twist. Not only does Bruce Willis’ David Dunn finally come to terms with the fact that he is something a touch more than human, but Samuel L. Jackson's Elijah Price is revealed to be a supervillain – truly David’s opposite in every way. The way the movie let’s this turn hang in the air as the credits roll has long had fans wondering about the prospects of an Unbreakable 2 - and apparently it’s an idea that Shyamalan is still interested in as well.

The Sixth Sense filmmaker is currently promoting his television series Wayward Pines - on which he serves as both producer and director – and it was while talking with Collider that he revealed that he still has thoughts about making an Unbreakable 2. Of course, what helps is the fact that cinematic world has gone absolutely crazy about comic book movies and superhero stories over the last 15 years. Shyamalan explained,

"I love those characters and I love that world. Of course, the whole world makes comic book movies now. At the time, it was completely novel. I remember when I made it, Disney was literally like, ‘Comic books?! There’s no market for comic books!’ That’s all they make now! It was a hilarious conversation."

It’s hard to argue with Shyamalan’s comments. While Stephen Norrington’s Blade (which came out in 1998) and Bryan Singer’s X-Men (which came out in summer 2000) both preceded Unbreakable’s fall 2000 release, it was still a very early time in the modern superhero movie age. It wasn’t really until Sam Raimi’s Spider-Man in 2002 that things really started to kick into high gear, and then everything really changed in 2005 with the start of what would become Christopher Nolan’s Dark Knight Trilogy, and in 2008 with the introduction of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Things are obviously quite a bit different now than they were back then.

Going further about his vision for an Unbreakable 2, though, M. Night Shyamalan also drove home the point that his film wouldn’t exactly be like a modern comic book movie, largely because he wouldn’t want to betray what was established in the original. In that movie, he established a real, grounded world, and added superhuman elements on top of it – and that’s something that he imagines would continue in the sequel. He told the website,

"It feels like a straight-up drama. It’s real. You’re confronting the possibility that comic book characters were based on people that were real. That’s the premise, so the tone has to be super grounded. It would be cool."

Despite being a superhero movie in a time before superhero movies were super popular, Unbreakable was a solid box office success – making $248 million on a $75 million budget. While that is nice, there is still a question of whether or not anyone would actually let M. Night Shyamalan make an Unbreakable 2 at this point. The director has become famous over the years for the precipitous degrade of quality in his work, and that came to a head in 2013 with the release of After Earth. Not only was the movie critically trashed, but it wound up being a notable summer flop, bringing in only $60 million while carrying a hefty pre-marketing $130 million budget. As a result, Shyamalan isn’t exactly the in-demand filmmaker he once was, and a studio might be wary about his ideas for an Unbreakable sequel.

...sort of still want

• 2 weeks later...

I just watched the first episode of ABC's Fresh off the Boat, and it was glorious. As far as sitcoms go, I think it'd be something most Hondonians would get a laugh out of. The clip below made me feel like I was looking at an alternate reality NZA where he was 11-yrs-old and Chinese in Orlando in 1995 instead of, ya know, blindingly white and in Miami in 1989.

• 1 month later...

I watched the first few episodes of Off The Boat, pretty good actually.

Remember Alien Nation? It's back...in Fox form.

ALIEN NATION Remake In The Works At Fox

117244.jpg

Fans of the cult '80s sci-fi cop movie can raise a glass of sour milk in celebration (or commiseration?), as 20th Century Fox are planning anAlien Nation remake with Iron Man writing duo Art Marcum and Matt Holloway on script duty. Click on for more details...

Follow Mark:

CBMBTNS.png twitterBTNS.png

By Mark Cassidy - 3/26/2015

alien-nation-movie.jpg

Alien Nation was a 1988 sci-fi/buddy cop movie directed by Graham Baker, and starred James Caan as a prejudiced police offer who reluctantly partners with an alien "newcomer" by the name of Sam Francisco (Mandy Patinkin). It was a moderate success, spawning a TV series, novels, and comic books; and has attained something of a cult following over the years.

Now THR report that a remake is in the works at Fox with Art Marcum and Matt Holloway (best known for their work on the first Iron Man) writing the script. According to the site, the studio hopes to replicate the success of their recent Planet of The Apes relaunch. Though plot details are scarce, this first film will apparently begin by telling the story of "how and why the aliens came to Earth."

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Lots of sci-fi/fantasy inspired dramas headed for the 2015/16 season. Two are based on films: Minority Report and Limitless. Budget and FX for Minority Report look terrific but the overall concept of the show seems not so great. Now, I really liked the film Limitless and the fact Bradly Cooper's character from the film is somehow involved in the show has me intrigued.

http://youtu.be/_fLl-DMzxrk

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

• 1 month later...

'Sword in the Stone' Live-Action Remake in the Works With 'Game of Thrones' Writer

Disney is revisiting its 1963 animated fantasy The Sword in the Stone, putting into development a live-action remake.

Brian Cogman, a writer-producer on HBO’s fantasy Game of Thrones, has been tapped to pen the script for the project, which will be produced by Brigham Taylor.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Key & Peele + Henry Selick (Coraline) teaming up on stop-motion movie

Henry Selick, director of stop-motion classics Disney’s “The Nightmare Before Christmas” and Laika’s “Coraline,” is developing a new stop-motion feature with Jordan Peele and Keegan-Michael Key based on an original story by Selick.

“‘Wendell and Wild’ is a comedy about two scheming demon brothers who must face their arch-nemesis, the demon-dusting nun Sister Helly, and her two acolytes, the goth teens Kat and Raoul,” says Selick.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I like the vintage look the DVDs offered - it added this unique kitchy quality to the show...as it's sourced from the old tapes. I'm okay losing that in this prestine, restored picture - I would absolutely love to see all the craft put into the sets, costumes, props, models, puppets n' animation. I'll always have the DVDs to go back to, but I wanna see every slap of paint, piece of tape and fishing line - I can't wait to get this thing.

LOL - here's some 'best of' stuff - LOL

0df9e47f673613bcac745b53b1cce60e.jpg