Hondo's Bar

Nintendo 3DS

gunsmithx

also, i trust destructiod as far as i can throw them, but they supposedly have a list of launch titles:

* Pilotwings Resort

* Nintendogs + Cats

* Steeldiver

* Dead or Alive

* Pro Evolution Soccer 2011 3D

* Madden NFL

* Super Street Fighter IV 3D

* Asphalt 3D

* Combat of Giants: Dinosaurs 3D

* Ridge Racer 3D

* Resident Evil: The Mercenaries

* LEGO Star Wars III: The Clone Wars

• 2 months later...

One man's opinion: The 3DS is pretty badass. Despite the pretty much terrible lineup of launch games.

It exceeded my expectations on pretty much every level. It's a cool little machine. I'm disappointed that the Virtual Console doesn't roll out for another month, but other than that I'm really happy with it. The AR games are hip, Face Raiders is way more fun than it has any business being and I get a kick out of taking 3D pictures.

I got Samurai Warriors and a Ghost Recon strategy game, both use the 3D effects pretty damn well. I especially dig that Warriors title. It can't do nearly as many characters on screen as it's console cousins, but there's no slowdown and it looks very nice. With the 3D turned all the way up it stretches the plane far behind the screen.

I've never been a fan of the PSP style analog nub, and all of my problems with it apply here. At least that seems to be a problem the PSP2 is addressing, and it beats just having a d-pad.

I've never been to a console midnight launch which is probably the reason I'll be there(also since this'll probably be the last console I can afford new)

Need a buddy for your midnight fun?

I'm holding out until the Capcom releases the 15 Resident Evil games they are makeing for the 3DS before I buy one.

• 4 weeks later...

Ben & I were at Walmart last night and we saw the 3DS display and started playing. At first I was disappointed, then I noticed a little button that said "3D" and it was set to "Off" so I moved it...

Both Ben & I said, "Whoa!" -- needless to say, I think I know what Santa Claus is bringing Ben for Christmas...

Ben & I were at Walmart last night and we saw the 3DS display and started playing. At first I was disappointed, then I noticed a little button that said "3D" and it was set to "Off" so I moved it...

Both Ben & I said, "Whoa!" -- needless to say, I think I know what Santa Claus is bringing Ben for Christmas...

Huh, when me and tash saw one I was really underwhelmed by the 3d, I hate how it's easy to lose and it kinda gave tash a headache. For me it was like meh.

I think it was more of the fact that it went from 2-D to 3-D in front of our eyes...I left Ben playing it and continued to shop myself. It's most likely going to be that shiny new toy he's going to play with for about 2 weeks then forget about...like most of his other stuff.

• 1 month later...

I say toss out all the 3D shit, people seem to ONLY see that when judging the system (possibly because it's 2/3rds of the name :2T: ). I traded in my XL for it, slightly hesitantly because the 3DS is a tad smaller, and haven't regretted it for a second.

I will say this, without 3D, it is still superior to the DSi in every conceivable way (except that the XL is slightly larger, but I'm sure I'll be trading it in for the inevitable 3DS XL before too long). It's really more comparable to a PSP in terms of graphics and video and all (just in time for Sony to come out with a new handheld that's gonna move that bar again).

If they had called it SuperDS and then casually added "Oh yeah, and you can do 3D", I don't think it would be getting so much hate.

Yeah, shop went up today, saw the 3D Paper Mario trailer. I wouldn't mind playing that again. Snagged my free copy of Excitebike 3D as well. It's a straight up NES port, except for the 3D and (virtually) unlimited track creator space. Cool to have, but I can't imagine paying for it.

I also got my free 3D Pokedex, out of principle. Yay?

See, I've been rolling over DS's for so many years, that I never have to pay much to upgrade. Gamestop always does some bonus trade in deal when a new one comes out. DSi to 3DS cost me $108. You should just snag a 3DS, take a relatively small chunk of depreciation and trade it up when something better comes out.

You may want to wait until something good comes out specifically for it, besides downloads and the cool AR/Face Raider bundle games. Zelda and Resident Evil are out this month, though.

• 4 weeks later...

It's Crystal Clear that Nintendo's 3DS is a FAILURE ever since release

i don't need any proof that this Nintendo 3DS is just a tax-grab for Nintendo because Sony has always remained on top of the portable gaming industry with the Playstation Portable. don't get me wrong. here. ever since i bought my first PSP, i know that EVERYONE AROUND THE WORLD ESPECIALLY YOU GUYS HERE KNOWS THAT IT HAS BEEN NUMBER 1 IN THE PORTABLE GAMING MARKET (excuse the locked caps). therefore with the Nintendo 3DS, is crystal clear that Nintendo just wants your money. DO NOT FALL FOR NINTENDO'S TRICKS

• 2 weeks later...

Netflix streaming is now live!

Video quality is pretty damn good. The sound was what I was concerned about, since when I stream game trailers and such sometimes the volume is waaaaay too low, but it sounds great even without headphones so far.

It also has a subtitle option, which confuses me. Why haven't I seen this on any other Netflix streaming format? Maybe it's coming soon.