Hondo's Bar

Best/Favorite Game Villains of All Time (so far)

Keth

Did a search for this and was surprised that it turned up no thread of this nature so here it is. Was gonna do a poll, but this is probably alot more subjective given the huge list of awesome bad guys in games. And it is hard to pick just one.

Here's a few that I just couldn't wait to finish off when it finally came around to it-

Officer Tenpenny-GTA: San Andreas. I think Pulaski (aka Chris Penn) deserves and HM here, but Tenpenny was the star asshole of this game. I was ready to kill this guy in the first ten minutes of gameplay.

FrankTenpenny-GTASA.jpg

Queen Brahne- Final Fantasy 9: ok so we never get to actually fight her, but all the shit this bitch puts you through in the game makes you wanna be the one to pull her plug. Storywise it didn't call for that and that was fine, but still, with all the power she ended up getting, a single boss fight would've been pretty sweet.

scary.jpg

Brian Cox-Manhunt: This sadistic motherfucker playing the part of a shitty film director turned shitty snuff film director stages your execution, forces you to murder dozens of violent and insane gang members, kidnaps your family, and films it all while delivering the false promise of freedom upon the finished product of his film. A chainsaw in the gut fixed him pretty good though. Honorable goes to to Piggsy who was creepy as hell, but more of a good boss fight than fleshed out villain.

Manhunt_2011-07-07_23-04-16-75.JPG

Edited by axel_napalm

Brian Cox was the actor, the character was named Lionel Starkweather (not-so-subtle nod to a spree killer.) A lot of people complain that him being the last boss means that you chase down a fat old man with a pussy little pistol and core his head with a chainsaw but aside from giving him a leather-clad cyborg T-Rex mount I can't see how they could have done it any differently. For all intents and purposes Piggsy and the Cerberus leader were the final bosses.

good thread, also surprised we don't have one; there was a lotta Sephiroth love-fests here in the day.

though i adore the series, i tend to vote Uncharted for having the weakest villains - 3's looked interesting but they never really got into it like i thought they would.

nods to: glaDOS, Majora, Luca Blight (Suikoden 2, hardcore) and Kefka -

FvP2O.jpg

MGS 3 - The Boss/Joy

The-Boss.jpg

props to Killer 7 for one of the nastiest:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXwWjxbzuIk

oh and the classic!

wolfenstein_3D_hitler.jpg

SuperMetroid1.jpg

Yeah I thought about throwing Uncharted up there too, but I don't even remember the villain from part 1 and Flynn and Lazaravic (sp) were cookie cutter as hell. Definitely a game more for a Heroes thread.

Edited by axel_napalm

nmba1g.jpg

Frank Fontaine from the first Bioshock. Not so much for the anticlimactic battle at the end, but for the way he manipulates you through the first half of the game. I really felt like an unwitting pawn and a little betrayed.

It made me question things I should have been questioning all along. 5 minutes in, this guy asks me to kindly pick up a wrench and bash someone's head in, and I run over and happily oblige without giving it a second thought? Something ain't right here, and I loved how it almost broke that 4th wall.

Psycho Mantis and pyramid head deserve to be on this list too.

• 3 months later...

Is Pyramid Head REALLY a villain? If you take him as a manifestation of James' repressed sexual psyche then wouldn't that make James ultimately the villain, especially after what you find out about him? One could say that like Pinhead, Pyramid Head is only doing his job and that the people he is unleashed on are deserving of what is coming to them.

(I'm not trolling here just actually curious about what your opinion on the subject is)

Castlevania_Chronicles_Simon_Dracula.jpg

Dracula - Castlevania

Guy is a Hoss, timelines be damned he keeps coming back Dr. Wily style. It seems the more we get into the franchise the more the guy keeps getting forced to be brought back from the dead. Now with Lord of Shadows we have an interesting origin story to the series.

InfestedKerrigan_SC2_Art4.jpg

Topping out the "A.I.L.F" (you can guess how that breaks down) category is Sarah Kerrigan from Starcraft. They pulled at your heartstrings when she was just a ghost and when she became the leader of the swarm you wanted to root for her.

CNC4_Kane_Elegant.png

Also in the villains I root for category, Kane from the C&C series. He's traveled through time and has a take-no-shit attitude to global domination. He's like a more enjoyable Hitler.

PSO-Dark_Falz-01.jpg

Falz has a special place in my heart because I played the shit out of PSO. That's the only reason he made the list. He also comes back over and over in the series, through time and space kinda like this guy........

Lavos.jpg

...Lavos. People love this guy, or maybe just Chrono Trigger in general, but he made for an excellent end boss.

• Upvote 1

Zeon from Shining Force 2. This was one of my first real experiences with an RPG, and I thought I was about to beat it like half a dozen times.

The pope is the badguy.

No, the vampire night dude is the bad guy.

Wait, Cameela is behind all of this!

Oh my, this goes all the way up to King Galam! Surely he's the final boss.

And finally you see who's really pulling the strings.

PGdky.png?1

YGiZ8.png

Yeah, Zeon was a much more nuanced boss than Dark Dragon (the bad guy from Shining Force 1 who you were told you had to beat in the first 10 minutes of the game.) Still, for my money the favorite villain/boss from that game I had was Oddler/Oddeye. Guy was a badass.

Hellz yea to Lavos (best rpg ever) and hellz friggin yea to mother brain.

But meta knight and sephiroth... Unbelievable game villains.

Liquid snake anyone?

And tho they might not be considered villains there's knuckles and the sparkster nemesis... Luv those chars.

Edited by IceManML

• 5 weeks later...

Wario could represent corporate greed and sociopathic selfishness.

And he does this by riding on a motorcycle and farting? I know you collected treasure in his actual game games but to be fair you did that in Mario world too. I'd still put Wiley or Dracula in his place. Wario's an anti-hero at best.