Hondo's Bar

God of War

Keth

No thread anywhere of this? Unless I suck at searching (which is entirely possible) I couldn't find it. Anyway, God of War 4 is a go!

Kotaku:

God of War "4" Leaks Early, Here’s the Debut Trailer

Yeah, it's looking almost certain that Sony's big, upcoming PS3 announcement will indeed be a new God of War title. Especially since there's already an Amazon listing for the thing. And a trailer.

A product page on Amazon, complete with box art and trailer (above), reveals the game is called God of War: Ascension. Interestingly, it doesn't seem to use the letters "IV" anywhere, and going by the narration in the short trailer it appears this is going to be a prequel.

The short trailer, which contains no gameplay footage, shows a stylised Kratos struggling against what look like his inner demons. Or hey, maybe outer demons! It also mentions that, before he was a God capable of killing everything, he used to be a man. Who fought not for rage.

The game's listing says:

Join Kratos as he seeks freedom, redemption, and the clarity to avenge his family in the most ambitious God of War adventure in the series so far.

Hoping for a little more than a prequel, but that looks like what it is gonna be. Looking forward to it myself.

Search is just broken. "God of War" gets NO results, even after I just came out of a thread titled exactly that. It looks like there's a thread for GoW 3, but not a catch-all for the series.

I still need to play more of the last one. I think I put like an hour into it. It certainly wasn't disappointing, I just got distracted.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 years later...

...boy howdy, talk about an overrated series that ages poorly, huh?

start with an action beat-em-up, but remove any of the depth of combat of bayonetta/DMC, none of the interesting aesthetic of say, el shaddai, add the single most smoldering-with-generic-rage boring protag since, i dunno, assassin's creed 1 meets FF VIII's squall, and for good measure, add piss-poor platforming sections for when the gears of war crowd wants to remember crash bandicoot or something

the first PSP game was alright, mostly because hardware limitations likely didn't allow for as many cutscenes. why this series is still alive & not onimusha, i'll never know. here's IGN on the subject:

]Kratos is the typical testosterone-fueled He-Man that modern entertainment has too much of. He has that tragic aura of mystery about him, but most of the time he's too busy tearing the wings off harpies and eviscerating minotaurs for any of that to matter.

i guess greek mythology QTE homicide simulators (with extra minigames for fucking, how cool is that?!) do it for some of ya'll, but you can keep it!

just my 2 cents

• Downvote 1

I still like them, I spent pretty much the entirety of God of War 3 hating Kratos with all of my being but the gameplay was still a lot of fun. It's about the only game that I find quicktime events tolerable in and it's my favorite combat system this side of Mad Max/The Arkham games.

Edited by Iambaytor
  • Upvote 1