Hondo's Bar

Keth

I'm so glad to be at the point where there's more games than I have money for. Add to that, I've no shame pile(unfinished games) at current and now I can sink another 100+ hours into Skyrim guilt-free.

The portability has been the gamechanger for me. I moved my awesome TV into the lounge room and dissembled my personal space so my console time has been non-existent since the beginning of the year. I carry the switch with me everywhere even though for the first four months of ownership it was in a beanie because switch carry cases go from being dirt cheap and functional as hell to wildly expensive and esoteric. And guess which ones were near impossible to get for a while.

Additionally when the stars align and I get the TV to myself, it looks so damned pretty. I don't dig the pro controller because it's generic but love the joycons. 

Id be using my GC controller alot more, however there is a small problem of it having less buttons. Though I bet it feels great for stuff like Shovel Knight and I know its awesome on Mario Kart. I'm guessing its real inclusion is foreshadowing a new Smash and/or GC classics.

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/hulu-switch

NINTENDO ADDS 'HULU' TO SWITCH...AND IT'S AVAILABLE NOW.

hulu-11-09-17-1.jpg

I ain't gotz the Hoolooz - but when Netflix and the web is all eventually added...not gonna be go-to method for tv-streaming.  My Wii U is currently my Netflix n' youtube vid streaming device.

For those who take this on-the-go - hey, bigger screen than a smartphone.  I wanna see reports on how much juice 'streaming' sucks up compared to a full game session - plus, the space all the eventual streaming services (Netflix) will take up.

I already own a tablet gotten on the super cheap (along w/ that Chromecast device - you plug into your tv) that's totally dedicated to streaming in my bedroom (that room's tv isn't hooked up to the Wii U).

Looking like Switch's portability is gonna get a whole lot sexier pretty soon.

Acch so keen to get a streaming service or even the ability to read files off of Micro SD, for this thing.

That being said I know JP is mostly about portable wifi, are you yanks on that yet or would this be an exercise in skipping between hotspots or using phone data? That's how it is here and data isn't cheap enough to just stream at will(yet).

yeah i dunno, at least here in MIA we're not yet at a point where there's a lot of good public wifi hotspots that i know of, and years back our bigger phone companies locked down tethering your tablet to your phone's data plan (as far as i understood, don't think that's changed much) without paying for another device/etc so i'm assuming it'd be the same here. 

i clearly haven't looked into it much yet for lack of playing online but by the time Smash/Animal Crossing etc show up i figure i'll know more. 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Man there is so damned much under the hood of Stardew Valley it's a little off-putting at the change of seasons.

See what the price on the store is at the moment(for GS) because the E-shop has some crazy deals going.  It's ocker AF and has some genuine depth to the gameplay.

• 1 month later...

The way Nintendo puts out digital content followed by more expensive cartridges has toyed with my emotions enough.  I've previously been all about that shelf of games but convenience and price point have swayed me to primarily digital collecting. 

I have a decent memory card and still intend to buy bigger games on cart because retailers are more competitive on price,  and something like say doom would take up too much real estate on my sd card,  but I'm done agonising over buying smaller titles and worrying whether they're going to get a cart release later.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well Labo is pretty great.

The cardboard is thin and not very durable,  but the construction is all double folding and interlocking so the final product can take a licking(my kid has been hammering the piano and when she's not doing that,  she's fishing). The fishing game especially is very tactile and the sorta thing I could see myself pulling out at least once a month. 

The instructions are clear but slow(it took me a minute to figure out how to speed it up) and the software is deceptively rich. 

I don't know that I'll go in on the robot kit as intended because I don't know that the quality build of small items in the variety pack would translate to the box and string setup.

If anyone's interested I can put up some pics of the construction process as well as my kid quality testing the final products.  

Side note : aside from a brief interest in Odessy a couple of weeks ago,  this is the first game she's gone all in on.  I've waited so long for this(my kid gaming)  and couldn't be happier of prouder. 

• Like 2

Bear with me,  finding the easiest way to do this from my phone... 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/LrdZXMAnZ0q1W53L2

https://photos.app.goo.gl/VqWzbqERtNamG1AC8

https://photos.app.goo.gl/nQ0iQx0ti0AX0Ha83

https://photos.app.goo.gl/sn2OAcrnPMUTJT6l2

Guys just let me know if the images are too rich  or big or whatever.  If this works I'll throw up a couple of videos of us stress testing the piano and fishing game.