Hondo's Bar

Keth

• 2 weeks later...

so, i'm #TeamNeon for the system itself (don't need another drab gray system!), and Zelda's a given but ive got like $20 in gamestop credit, and was leaning towards Super Bomberman R but i'm bummed that one's $50, while Tetris/Puyo Puyo is only $40...decisions!

release schedules for PS4 this year are crazy for me, kinda glad that mario kart aside it looks mostly open from here till Universe by the holidays.

Just thought I'd put up sum cool customs I've been bumping into.

x76F2Nd.jpg

54563_2_custom-nintendo-switch-color-schemes-awesome.jpg

nintendoswitchmockupfamicon-640x427-c.jpg

customnesswitch-770x300_c.jpg

Y'know what hurts? They just put out those NES Classic controllers that you can use w/ VC games, but there isn't any announced way to use 'em on Switch - or even any future accessories. (SNES Classic controllers?)

Can they come up w/ a wireless hub / base thing that you can plug wired controllers into that will allow different types of controllers? Like, when the new Smash comes out - it'd be cool if ya can plug in your 'official Wii U Smash' Gamecube controller...or will they have to be a new 'wireless-Switch' kind? Can a 4-player tab-thing like what the SNES Bomberman came w/ be worked out?

wii_u_gamecube_adapter.0_cinema_640.0.jpg

New trailer.

LOL - it still ain't sucking me in for DAY ONE. 'Kart while I poop' is a tempting proposition...but, I can already do that. LOL

Hopefully, we're getting a Direct or something soon that lays out the online service and VC stuff. I've read they added 'Little Inferno' to the launch line up (an EShop exclusive). I already own it on Wii U - I gotta feeling I'd have to buy it again. Eager as hell for more details.

Classic VC titles w/ added online functionality is a definite pull in the right direction.

• 3 weeks later...

Secure your Nintendo ID!

barnacle_britches is a go.

So I've pretty much accepted that I won't be day 1 on this. I'm pretty fucking bummed about it to be quite honest. Kicking myself I didn't put the preorder in when I had the chance. I'm hoping some more open up down to the wire (On a few email lists to let me know) and the day of launch I'm gonna go on a Switch Hunt ™ and see if I get lucky at Toy R Us, Best Buy and others. But I think I was also pretty bummed about missing Zelda on day one too. So if all else fails, I'll just grab it for the WU and pick up a Switch once supplies restock in April or so.

Edited by Axels

haha, you went day 1 on an underscore? weirdo

yeah just caught Irishninja before lesser irishninjas could. and man, i hadn't had a chance to see the whole thing before, but that switch case the Zelda LE brings is actually pretty cool, nice to not have to buy a case now! even has slots for like a dozen games.

still debating bomberman around launch but im waiting on some impressions/reviews. also axels do you want me to keep an eye on GAF/etc for people selling their preorders for a fair price?

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Yeah - I never liked those Joy-Con 'controllers'. Granted I haven't held one, yet - but it's looks so tiny and doesn't look like a preferred way to play any VC NES game (ie: SMB) or...a Street Fighter or a Mario Kart. I'd only use 'em if they're required.

Comfortable controller w/ legit D-pad all the way. (They need to work in sum kinda Classic NES Controller adapter) Who began their investment w/ Switch? What's the verdict? Anyone playing Zelda on a Switch Pro Controller?

Njg5YTFiNDJlYyMvYzZ3ZEltZTZsSXBMaWE4MkhJcS1jd0VQNS1vPS8zOXgzMjM6Mzk5M3gyNTA0LzgwNng0NDUvZmlsdGVyczpxdWFsaXR5KDcwKS9odHRwOi8vczMuYW1hem9uYXdzLmNvbS9wb2xpY3ltaWMtaW1hZ2VzL2ZrbWpvY2Fjbnp3Y3d4aGZ4bnZrNG80ZW1yYWptNTR5em1rdnpraXhvczVvamZxYXIwYmxjZGJvZjlwbHR3ZWIuanBn.jpg

Side-note: On Wii U - you hafta use the Gamepad. You can do Off-TV Play, (Zelda while you poop) but no Pro Controller support.

ill say this: ive known a number of people who didn't like them/thought them too small, till they held them. ive not played much with them individually like in e$'s video, but with the connector piece (when the system's docked) they make a good controller.

and yeah, bishopcruz got a pro controller, and...lemme just say, NFS field & fancy rumble are cool features but i didn't wanna pay $70 for a control pad (i know sony charges $60, i never pay that either). but...the build quality on that thing is fantastic. it's got some heft to it, the sticks feel great (bit better than my DS4, i wanna say) and the d-pad is good too. definitely waiting on a sale but i'm sold on that thing now.

• 4 months later...

forgot if we talked about the online structure (since it starts soonish) so here it is

Nintendo Switch paid online coming 2018 ($19.99 a year, Dr Mario w/ online play)

Kz60OIL.png

Free until 2018

"This paid service lets Nintendo Switch owners enjoy online multiplayer gaming as well as a dedicated smartphone app that connects to your Nintendo Switch system and helps you connect with friends for online play sessions."

"Online Play on Nintendo Switch

You’ll be able to play compatible co-op and competitive games online by signing in with your Nintendo Account. Online play will be free for Nintendo Account holders until our paid online service launches in 2018. "

"After the free-trial period, most games will require a paid online service subscription from Nintendo in order to play online.

This service is only for Nintendo Switch. It does not affect online play or features for the Wii U or Nintendo 3DS family of systems."

"Online lobby and voice chat

Our new dedicated smart device app will connect to Nintendo Switch and let you invite friends to play online, set play appointments, and chat with friends during online matches in compatible games─all from your smart device.

A free, limited version of this app will be available for download in summer 2017.

Classic Game Selection*

Subscribers will get to download a compilation of classic titles with added online play, such as Super Mario Bros. 3, Balloon Fight and Dr. Mario."

Update

Netflix style VC

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/st...58277724860421

"Nintendo confirms to Kotaku that monthly classic games are NOT happening. Replaced with a way better service: "

DBR86U9WsAAl0kf.jpg

admittedly, while this is the cheapest service, if you're not a Splatoon player i don't know how much value there is here.

for me, online play with classic titles has always been a dream, but i need to see what's being offered in that "netflix-like" library.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Latest update adds Gamecube controller support! http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-10-24-nintendo-has-quietly-added-gamecube-controller-support-to-switch

Im trying out Mario Kart 8 with it. I didnt even think it was a possibility since you are just plugging the usb into the dock. (You need the adapter from Smash Bros on the WU) Plus this probably foreshadows GC games in the future! 

WSJ: Hamamura: some big games may not come to Switch till 2019 ,pubs didn’t expect it to do well

Hirokazu Hamamura, chief executive of Japanese videogame-magazine publisher Gzbrain Inc. (Famitsu and others) said some big games may not come until 2019 because publishers didn’t expect the Switch to do so well and got a late start.

Capcom Co. , a software publisher famous for the “Resident Evil” and “Monster Hunter” franchises, has released for the Switch only some older titles that it had released to other game consoles. A company spokeswoman said that is normal procedure for third-party software developers because there isn’t enough time to make new games for a console within a year of its launch.

“We bet big on the Switch as a game changer so we began making games before the Switch’s launch, but many software companies showed reluctance in releasing Switch games before they witnessed the current success,” said Yoichi Erikawa, chief executive of game company Koei Tecmo Holdings Co. , at a news conference last week.

i mean, capcom had dead rising 3 at the XBONE's launch...this really is the wii all over again, wonder if they'll actually dedicate some resources to it 

I spent the weekend w/ it - it's so tiny!

The OS is cool - very streamlined and to the point.  Easy to find shit - no needless repetitive confusing submenus like the 3DS.  Wish there were more frills n' such, tho - a bit too...basic in design / layout, considering the 3DS - also being 'portable' focused - has tons of customization 'homepage'-stuffs. 

Speaking of portability - I have no intention on ever taking this thing outta the house.  The whole portability aspect - which is obviously the main purpose - is completely wasted on me.  I intend on playing entirely 'docked' / on my tv.

I tried a bit of Odyssey in bed - to check out the 'portability' function...it looks gooorgeous - the screen is crisp and vivid...smooth-ass framerate...but the whole device feels so damn fragile and delicate.

I couldn't enjoy Odyssey's precise 3D platforming fully - w/out worrying about breaking the damn thing.  The joysticks and triggers are just so tiny!  The joycon connection (the connected plastics that 'snap' and hold the console together) had me concerned me, too.  LOL - it all felt like expensive glass...my brain was too preoccupied w/ 'BE CAREFUL W/ HOW YOU...'

Got frustated trying to collect a moon shard in Odyssey 'cuz I was being 'easy on it'.  I grip my controllers tightly and work dem joysticks at the speed of thought...w/out concern of damaging an entire console.  I'm afraid to put too much pressure on it and break it.  After 10 min. I was like, 'this sucks'.  No way to play intense games.  I got sweaty, clammy-ass hands - I have to apologize to my controllers after sessions.

If I could shove the Switch into a Wii U Gamepad casing - awesome.  Sturdy...w/ no worries.  One piece...solid...w/ appropriately sized joysticks...no 'back of my mind' concern of fatal damage to an entire $300 console.  As tiny as those joysticks are - loose sticks felt inevitable the way I play.  It's a cool novelty feature, but it just feels too tiny and fragile.  Maybe w/ the right game - I won't be so concerned about 'beating it up'...but, I'd be playing on my tv...not using the joycons.

Odyssey looks great - and runs awesome.  Looking forward to other big console games.  The system seems like it could handle sum good stuff.  It feels next gen.

I've read BotW runs better in portable mode...another concern I have w/ future titles.  So is...it being constantly docked / charging for the entirety of it's lifetime / my use.

I still hate that it can't just be a box w/ a standard controller.  Constantly docking / undocking / snapping joycons on n' off...all sucks as a home console.  I'm over motion-controls.  Let it be an option - like, in 'Arms' you can play standard stick / buttons or go motion controls.  I hate having to wave my controller to do something that could easily be a button press.  'Wave to special attack...waggle to climb faster...' optional, please.

No regrets - just sucks the 'main-shtick' isn't for me.

I find the portability useful, but not necessarily the handheld part. I like propping it up with the stand in other rooms, like when I'm on my laptop at the same time. Gives you more controller freedom. 

Edited by Axels