Hondo's Bar

forum's best film of all time

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn, this wasnt easy...lemme submit it now before i spend the rest of the day changing it back & forth...

1) Braveheart

2) Unforgiven

3) Fight Club (suck it, 2T!)

4) The Good, The Bad & The Ugly

5) Seven Samurai

6) The Matrix

7) Carlito's Way

8) High Noon

9) The Searchers

10) Yojimbo

11) Rio Bravo

12) Cool Hand Luke

13) Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid

14) American Beauty

15) Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

16) Mr Smith goes to Watshington

17) Lonesome Dove (movie-series)

18) Waking Life

19) Samurai X (movie-series)

20) The Graduate

broke my heart to take off Taxi Driver, but i figure..its makin the list anyway.

sadly, Pulp Fiction, Brazil, Micheal Collins, Hard Boiled, The Shootist, Trainspotting, and a few others got left off too...good ones tho.

Actually yeah, it was pretty hard, ive seen a lot of good movies. Also, i somehow left Raging Bull off of the final list, which i didnt mean to do...that makes me sad. ???

About 6 or so are viewed these days in black & white - Seven Samurai, High Noon, The Searchers (tho the color one's not bad), Yojimbo, Mr Smith goes to Washington, and Rio Bravo...Raging Bull's black & white, i meant to have that one there. Butch Cassidy starts in b&w but changes after the opening scene.

Oh, and Seven Samurai, Yojimbo, and Samurai X are Japanese. Crouching Tiger is kabuki-style, being Chinese.

PS 2T dont hate me, ive seen it more times is all...ok im revising this thing tonite, MLB dont tally em up yet! Dammit i hate being indecisive..

You know..I'm willing to bet you havent even seen more than 3 movies on my list, not to mention I didnt know you werent a fan of The Matrix.

Your list is the only 20 movies youve ever sat still long enough to watch. I used to want to show you a few off this list but with your posts today, im more & more greatful i didnt.

In any event, I think im revamping it tonite people....move a few around maybe, try to squeeze Raging Bull back on there. There's another to ask 2T about...

1) Braveheart

2) Unforgiven

3) Fight Club

4) The Good, The Bad & The Ugly

5) Seven Samurai

6) The Matrix

7) Carlito's Way

8) High Noon

9) The Searchers

10) Yojimbo

11) Rio Bravo

12) Cool Hand Luke

13) Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid

14) American Beauty

15) Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

16) Mr Smith goes to Watshington

17) Raging Bull

18) Waking Life

19) Samurai X/Ruorini Kenshin OAV's (movie-series)

20) Micheal Collins

Raging Bull replaces Lonesome Dove - its damn fine, but it was a TV series of movies, after all. Oh, and...

21) (fuck you, im an admin) The Graduate

So, after some thought, tho I watched the Grad like crazy back in the day, I think i go more for Collins, so it got bumped. This is 2track's doing.

Again, i could go back & forth forever on the exact number rankings (really hard to compare some of em, you know?) but ill leave it as is for the sake of MLB's request.

Ok, I know everyone already went on about how hard this is to do cus you KNOW you're forgetting really really really good ones and you'll feel like an ass when you do, so I'll spare you from going on about that. here they are:

1 Braveheart

2 Indiana Jones trilogy

3 spirited away

4 star wars trilogy

5 Pleasantville

6 fight club

7 Forest Gump

8 he got game

9 Heaven and earth

10 Death becomes her

11Patton

12Back to the future

13 Legends of the fall

14 Brazil

15 Dolores Clairborne

16 Mr. Smith Goes to Washington

17Little Giants

18 Dirty dancing( I can't help it!)

19 The Two Towers

20 The Pianist

So there

I'm so going to make a secret Id and send in another 20 though

Edited by dinghy

ok ok, I feel like goofing off so I revised my shit, it's in a bit of an order now, not just random, and I changed a few, I made it a point to only include movies with no scenes I'd skip (wondering about jurassic park on this one) and stuff that affected me hard in one way or another when I saw it. So hard boiled got ousted by the matrix (I know, blashpemy! I mean, the matrix ripped off hard boiled!) because there are no scenes I would skip in the matrix, and Grave of the fireflies replaces ET sort of reluctantly, because I think ET kind of strechedand tried a bit hard for it's emotion, even the score sounds like it's reaching upward for feeling or something (as much as I loved it), Grave of the fireflies is just beautiful in every frame, I can't find a flaw in it. Wanted to put magnolia instead of Punchdrunk, but as much as I love it, some scenes fall flat for me (like the quiz kid and the elf lookin guy at the bar) due to too much ambition if anything, punchdrunk is much simpler and just as honest and strange, great movie.

Anyways...

1. The Shawshank Redemption

2. Being John Malchovich

3. Amelie

4. Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?

5. Dark City

6. Dolores Claiborne

7. Spirited Away

8. Mr Smith Goes to Washington

9. Raiders of the Lost Ark

10. Minority Report

11. Grave of the fireflies

12. Royal Tenenbaums

13. Braveheart

14. Ghostbusters

15. Fight Club

16. Jurrassic Park

17. Pulp Fiction

18. The Matrix

19. City of God

20. Punchdrunk Love

Here, this'll work. My finished, ranked list.

1. Casablanca

2. Schindler's List

3. Jaws

4. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

5. Brazil

6. The Sting

7. Rear Window

8. Braveheart

9. 2001: A Space Odyssey

10. Saving Private Ryan

11. Philadelphia

12. Unforgiven

13. Almost Famous

14. Indiana Jones

15. The Empire Strikes Back

16. Pulp Fiction

17. Nightmare Before Christmas

18. Who Framed Roger Rabbit?

19. Chasing Amy

20. Dark City

Fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck.

I forgot Ghostbusters!

"It's true. This man has no dick"