Hondo's Bar

Samurai Jack

Reverend Jax

I love this series. When I think of it, one word comes to mind above all others: Style! It's the first thing the US has produced that can even come close to rivaling Japanese style. The animation is not quite as advance or realistic, but this is a very elaborate, highly-stylized animated series with with plenty action to satisfy. The second word that probably comes to mind after 'style' is 'unique'. Anyway, if the US ever hopes to produce anything is good as Japan does, this is the first step. Whata re other people's thought on this series?

samjack1.jpg

samurai-jack-premiere-movie-dvd-image-01.jpg

jack_image.jpgsamuraijacktn.jpg

samurai.jpg

By the way, I bought the DVD. It's pretty good. Anyone in the Miami area can of course borrow it.

samurai_jack.jpg

I've seen it a couple of times, it's cool as hell.  My only complaints about it is that the non-action segments are usually hit or miss.  Some of it is quite funny but sometimes I'm just bored waiting for more action.  Very cool show though, I'm definately going to catch more episodes of it.

Ok, synopsis:

Begins in ancient times in Japan. The emperor is a heroes for having slayed and banished the ultimate evil creature, Aku (the fellow with fire for hair in the picyures above). When Aku breaks free of his prison, the emperor has had a plan ready where he sends his young son off. His son travels around the world being trained by everyone from Egyptian, Greeks, Russians, British and every other major civilization of the old world. He returns to Japan where Aku has enslaved everyone. He obtains the magic sword his father used against Aku and fight him, before striking the final blow, Aku spend him into the distant future, where Aku has become all powerful. He now is trying to either destroy Aku, or go back intime to undo the thousands of years of evil Aku has done.

This show is very intense visually and audioly. Great music, great sound effects, great backgound art, great animation. So great. Would you like to borrow it, alita?

If you want to borrow it today or tomoorow, I need it back by thursday night or early friday. I'm leaving (on a jet plane) friday for home and I want to show it to my sister. If you borrow it after I come back (the 30th), you can keep it indefinitely. by the way, is alita and SuperEeyore the same person, or are two different people logging onto the same computer? Anyway, I live on campus (UPT), so anytime you're on campus, you can get it.

Okidoki, we'll talk about it further in July. In the meantime, enjoy the series on cartoon network on fridays and 7:30pm and saturday at 9:30pm. :D

I find no shame in shamelessly plugging a series i think it worth watching. Not that it needs the extra support, it's doing very well for itself.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

OK, so even though it's old news I just found out Samurai Jack is officially cancelled. The last 4 episodes aired a few weeks back, and that's that. So sad. This series was crazy intense. And just as the series won it's first emmy for a crazy good episode (Birth of Evil).

It rarely every happens, but it's possible CN would bring it back, if they say the potential. It's not likely though.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 years later...

So, I introduced Kertins to this show, and she's digging it so far. She asked if the show has a real ending, and when I told her 'no', I decided to check the show's Wikipedia page. Turns out the creator tried to get both an animated movie and a live action movie made, but both projects fell through, but now it looks like an animated movie is going to get made and it's being produced by JJ Abrams, whose a big fan of the show. The movies budget will be $20M, which I have no idea if that's positive. I've heard alot of animated shows cost around $1M per episode, so maybe that is good. Mako, the voice actor who played Aku, has died since the show end. Also, it is not clear whether this movie would resolve the story line, but there was a hint in later episode that Jack is destined to go back to his own time, but not until he is a very old man, so any resolution that doesn't end with Jack as an old man would conflict with that, but I think fans would be much happier to see some closure.

Edited by Reverend Jax

• 2 years later...

I've kept meaning to find a torrent, thanks for reminding me.

Downloaded season 1 just after the above post, watched the first two episodes, loved the first one but the second didn't wow me. Came back to this tonight, just watched the third episode...wow. 12 minutes of scintillating action, without any dialogue, just epic. Can't wait to dive into this series proper now.

The episode Birth of Evil is also a standout. Yeah, some episodes don't connect like others do, but I think the whole series is worth watching. If you're watching an episode and it really bothers you, you can skip it. Very few episodes are important to the continuity of the story. They're all pretty self-contained.

• 3 years later...