Hondo's Bar

Actual Suggestion Box

The NZA

I agree with ASC on getting a stand up subforum. I know I through a bunch into Pimp Hand because I thought it was considered the comedy forum, which might make for a good merger and just label it as such since that's the majority of what's there.

• 2 weeks later...

E-$, you think combining Culture with Art & Lit wouldn't make things balloon a bit? the former holds a ton of things currently (including your stand-up stuff, granted), the later has books, poetry, art etc. that'd be a rather large umbrella, no?

Yeah, you're probably right. It's just I clicked into Culture and saw an architecture thread and thought "How is this not in Art? and then how is Art not in Culture?"

But really I was just trying to cut down on forums to make your job easier. Speaking of making your job easier, you're probably aware of this, but the History forum skin doesn't allow you to post pictures, quotes or edit posts.

appreciate it - and yeah, if any thread is in one forum where you think it'd be better suited in another, by all means, lemme know. and damn, didn't think of it - i was just using the mobile skin for history but assumed it had those options...

• 9 months later...

...so, newt & others were talking about pushing for a design overhaul. for me, this'd be a ton of work, mostly on replacing the skins (fewer free ones, i'd likley have to raise funds to replace many, but at least we could keep the logos), and i'd have to research which of our most commonly-used mods have been updated for the current board version.

still, before i'd even consider this mess, i usually like to see not only newer/more stable software, but some feature we'd all really want to make the effort worth it - i.e., last time it was auto-saving posts (even if that's kinda sketchy in practice, ive found). what all would you guys think would be worth an upgrade? speed at our current server seems good on my end at least, so i'm guessing an actually functional search engine? what other features do you guys think are missing?

ehh unless it's changed (can't imagine it has) they're a paid feature that we only got while we were with IPB; going back would mean downsizing the site, paying more and - the original reason we left - being forced to update on someone else's terms.

so we could, but we'd have to raise funds to warrant it...if you guys wanted it, id get the specific #s though.

RE: search function. It could definitely be easier to use, but in all actuality it works well for me. Just a little time consuming. I get the most out of it when I do a "search titles only" query.

well...what do you guys like for Animation, then? that was a complaint in the day, because obviously US/other stuff is in there too

and you know i'm down for better names (Fantastic Forum is hard to beat), it's just, again, that i trimmed the fat partly to make things clearer - i'm down for names but they really gotta illustrate what the forum's about..unlike, say, Pimp Hand. let's hear some suggestions!

(Fantastic Forum is hard to beat)

Hmm so you're saying you want.... puns... in the forum names?

Yes... I see now.

Sports: Goal Posts

That's all I got on puns

Video Games: The Game Room- It's simple and illustrates more of a "Bar" setting I think. Still a little generic, but not as robot(n)ic as video games (tee hee).

Art and Lit: This one's a toughie. The Library and Art Room? Gallery? Maybe someone can make those catchier.

Anime: Toon Town? *shrug*

Culture and Sociology: Socra-cali-Plato-listic-Nietchze-ala-Chomsky

Nah not sure on that one. Plato's Republic might be too narrow.

Current events and history: Press Box? Could pull a blatant rip off and name it "Histeria!".

Science and Tech: The Quantum Realm? Ech. It's hard to be catchy and direct at the same time.

Yeah, I'd just lump Art, Literature and Philosophy all under Culture.

Couple of suggestions.

Animation Station (not my best work)

The Locker Room

Current and Historical Events

I like Science and Tech: The Quantum Realm and The Game Room.

Also, I think it's time to maybe update the moderators of some of the forums. Half of the mods haven't posted in years. There's no need to remove the old mods though, just add additional regular posters.

I... I was serious about Philosophy/Culture.

I think there's a bunch of threads in both, some by the admission of the authors, that could work in either forum. I don't think they should be merged, but I think that that particular section on the home page should be... reordered or something.

I nominate ASC and/or Vagrant to helm Science cause Jax Who?

Also, might be a controversial suggestion (don't worry I'm dropping the Phil/Culture stuff), but how would people feel about Pimp Hand getting a different name to better reflect the comedy nature of it? Something like Hondo's Open Mic or The Chuckle Club... Ugh those are terrible but you get the point.

P.S. I love The Animation Station and The Locker Room names.

Edited by Axels

Also, might be a controversial suggestion (don't worry I'm dropping the Phil/Culture stuff), but how would people feel about Pimp Hand getting a different name to better reflect the comedy nature of it? Something like Hondo's Open Mic or The Chuckle Club... Ugh those are terrible but you get the point.

Just cause some need new names doesn't mean they ALL need new names. Why dontcha work on the ones who clearly need it more, yeah?

Edited by Da Cap'n 2099