Hondo's Bar

Actual Suggestion Box

The NZA

I'M BACK! lol. <333

Sorry about all that, Nick. I do want to let you know, I just tried getting into the Admin CP to change my password, but since I have no permissions once I'm in, I can't change it. What you've given me will have to do for now.

Just lettin' a brotha know

cant you do that from your user control panel, though? i thought jax did, could be wrong.

what im looking to do soon (either before or around the rest of the work i gotta do here in the next few weeks) is put that htcassess whatever back on, so there'll be a prompt before you can even try logging into the admin cp. once i do that, though, ill have to message you, stillB and jax the username/pass, and if any of you guys forget it and fail logging in more than a few times, you'll be IP banned/never find hondo's when looking for it (straight 404's), so ill make sure it's something ya'll can remember.

after that, we'll talk duties. Stilly says he's still out for the time but will try to pop in when he can (dude's pretty busy) for now, but for example, before i have you resume approving registrations, i gotta put a few new measures in & have you check for them, the scammers/bots have stepped shit up recently. another plus though is that an upgrade im working on will take the IP of people trying to register, check a large blacklist for known forum spammers/regions, and auto-deny them if they fail...looking forward to that one.

i'm also debating making a super-secret forum just for you deputies so we can share information like this without worrying about the details - stay tuned!

• 2 weeks later...

Can we have a History sub-forum? There are lots of historic topics that I want to post about--but I feel weird putting them in politics, or culture. I mean, they have bearing on BOTH, but to bring them up usually spells tangent and derailing a thread. What do people think?

i like it - but a) these things usually start as subforums to prove sustainability (should it be in politics? culture?), and b) can you find 10+ threads of historical conversations that took root? i only do this because we've had a few failed experiments, and i dont mind, ive just continually failed to keep this place manageable for newbies. i'm all for adding new corners so long as they don't end up being what Jumbie calls "forum ghettos".

I think it can work--but I see your issue. All the "history" threads are little responded to, and get buried. My thing is that I don't know that it represents a lack of interest, as much as a lack of context. I think that history should be a sub forum of politics, because we often debate issues that are current events and political that have historical precedent. These actions of the past directly affect the politicls of today. The people who effected change back in the day, are still relevant. I think the history topics get lost because they don't have a place, not because people aren't interested.

well, you ain't gotta go digging for them - you can always make a few and see where they go.

my problem is the ones i can think of (my Marx one on capitalism, etc) i run with a philosophical angle so they'd not evenly fit. another quick thought: is one angle the notion of challenging perceptions/revisions or just to have general ones on academically agreed-upon older ages, or wha?

Well that's cool--I don't make them usually though, because I feel like there isn't an appropriate place for them. The other issue is that politics and philosophy tend to be a little intimidating--especially with the crew we have here: Loud mouths (my self included) and former philosphy majors. Ulitimately, you're correct though--I guess if no one minds, I will post history specific threads in Politics, and if it gains an audience we can make a sub-forum? If not, I'll get drunk and denounce you all, stay away for 48 hours and then sneak back and pretend nothing happend. However if we had a subforum, there could be this whole kick off that would draw people in, I know it!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Could we get a forum for tabletop gaming? Board games, miniatures, RPGs? I never know where to put threads on that and while I can make guttural noises about video games I can have long in depth discussions on tabletop gaming. I know we've got at least a few other Warhammer/D&D people out there.