Hondo's Bar

Actual Suggestion Box

The NZA

I give a shack

My only concern is the eventual return of it's frequenters and the amount of griping they'll do in functional forums about the shift. Someone should at least PM Acalis & get his thoughts since it's his baby.

Ly- _____ the cool Texan is a freckly 'ranga who looks geared to metal the fuck out of your physics lab. lycaon the Hondonian is the motherfucking Superspade Buddy Cthulu that's too mouthy for his own good. I still gotta find a copy of Apples to Apples though.

I give a shack

My only concern is the eventual return of it's frequenters and the amount of griping they'll do in functional forums about the shift. Someone should at least PM Acalis & get his thoughts since it's his baby.

Ly- _____ the cool Texan is a freckly 'ranga who looks geared to metal the fuck out of your physics lab. lycaon the Hondonian is the motherfucking Superspade Buddy Cthulu that's too mouthy for his own good. I still gotta find a copy of Apples to Apples though.

It won't be as pimp as Ly's though. he got the supa-dupa fly wooden box edition. Nice!

As for forum co-modding a NO MA'AAM subforumthingy, I'm all for it. I don't see the real reason for one and frankly never knew of/forgot about the existence of a Powder Room subforum altogether. I'm for consolidating most of the sub-forums back into their main forums anyway. Or at the very least NZA could somehow make the sub-forums stand out more, especially on the main forum menu page.

It won't be as pimp as Ly's though. he got the supa-dupa fly wooden box edition. Nice!

As for forum co-modding a NO MA'AAM subforumthingy, I'm all for it. I don't see the real reason for one and frankly never knew of/forgot about the existence of a Powder Room subforum altogether. I'm for consolidating most of the sub-forums back into their main forums anyway. Or at the very least NZA could somehow make the sub-forums stand out more, especially on the main forum menu page.

I 2nd the notion that subforums should somehow be more visible.

yeah, everyone likes em but i cant do much more but bold the text in their descriptions and plead with people to check em out. mods of subforums should have banners advertising in their sigs or something! my options are limited.

alright, you crazy pro-Pimp Hand kids: both CS and PH are essentially Not Safe For Work. both get threads of links/pics to weird/gross/scary type shit, both are loaded with memes, and since we basically took hondo's pictures and such and slapped em into the Gathering...i dont know what the point of keeping 2 forums where 1 could be is.

my secret hope is that some of the more fun PH topics would occasionally bury the CS "when did you last dook" etc tropics that constantly resurrect. what's your justification for leaving both around? or, why should Pimp Hand eat Crap Shack and not the other way around? just getting a feel for things here.

NZA, here is my two-cents on how you can possibly "clean-up" Hondo’s a bit. I actually meant to talk w/ you about some of this @ h-con, but you know how that went. Anyway, not trying to tell you how to run your ship, just my suggestions on how to streamline the ol' girl. Take 'em for what they're worth...

Front Door

Suggestion Box

Town Square*

Pubs**

>>The Grill: Food & Drink recipes***

Hondo’s The Gathering

*Keep it strictly for intros and birthdays. Move all other threads to “Pubs.” I never got the name either. Maybe call it the “front door,” “checkpoint,” “front gate” or something more in keeping w/ the fact this is strictly a place to intro yourself. Just sayin’.

**I’d move this here as the most active threads are Blargh!, Blargh! Reply, and FHD. Those are al random, fun, feel-good type threads that should be easier to find for new members. It’s also basically our closest thing to a “safe for work” general chatter forum. Needs to be more up front and center. Possibly even a new name as it’s so close to “Barside” it can get confusing for n00bs. Only reason to reamain calling it “Pubs” really is the drunken posting thread. Maybe re-name “Pubs” TOWN SQUARE as it’s basically a general posting/gathering spot. Could move the drunken post thread to “The Grill” or to Crap Shack as it’s technically “NSFW.”

***I’d move the “What Was The last Thing You Ate” thread from Crapshack to here to maybe increase the traffic in there.

Barside

Socrates, Philosophies, & Hypothoses*

Politics & Current Events*

Culture & Sociology*

>> Powder room

>>NO MA'AM (?)

Art & Literature

*These subforums are dead, dude. Let 'em go in peace.

**Weird Science could also be put down. Spread the threads over existing Barside forums.

Entertainment

I say keep this as is. It’s well organized and differentiated.

Hell’s Kitchen*

Pimp Hand**

Crap Shack***

Fight Club

*I say these two should remain separate. I’d put a “NSFW” tag on both of them though and make this the general “NSFW” forum.

**If you do decide to combine these two you gotta keep the Pimp Hand Banner! However, I’d say keep ‘em separated. Hawt nudies go in PH and . . .

***Everything else NSFW can go here! I’d just make the Magic 8 Ballzak subforum stickythreads @ the top of CS though.

damn! more controversy! i like it. few things:

1) Pubs basically eating Town Square is a bold move. i could see it being moved up as its a general chit-chat area, but that's kinda where ive always had trouble discerning the two: Town Square was always that, pubs started as a sort've hangout/venting/etc forum but you can see the overlap there. that shit's worth thinking about, as far as dividing lines, but i think your idea to move it up bears merit.

ive debated putting The Gathering back to a Town Square subforum but i dunno, i like that corner and id hate to see it slept on. thing with threads like blargh is theyre constantly on top, obviously.

also, im half tempted to make this very forum read-only with the exception of threads like this where im looking for input, but that's neither here nor there.

2) ok, but if said subforums are dead/rarely used, what's the harm of leaving em there? i guess im ok leaving past things like lyricist lounge around for viewing or the very occasional entry.

3) you're not the first person to say that @ science...i never got that. its not a big enough topic to warrant its own corner? i got no beef (that i can recall) splitting culture and arts, but science is on a number of poeples cut lists. so weird.

4) see, ive mostly been ok delcaring individual threads NSFW (i added that banner to crap shack for prepping my idea of consolidation, natch) but making an entire area marked off as such isnt a bad idea either. its just funny that it almost implies other corners are "safe", heh. but another good idea, that.

this is helpful. im slowly forming something slimmer, but more well-established for content, here. keep it coming.

damn! more controversy! i like it. few things:

1) Pubs basically eating Town Square is a bold move. i could see it being moved up as its a general chit-chat area, but that's kinda where ive always had trouble discerning the two: Town Square was always that, pubs started as a sort've hangout/venting/etc forum but you can see the overlap there. that shit's worth thinking about, as far as dividing lines, but i think your idea to move it up bears merit.

Call a spade a spade, TS may've been that in the past, but it's now all intros and birthdays. Pubs already has the big 3 threads, so why keep it buried at the bottom of the page?

2) ok, but if said subforums are dead/rarely used, what's the harm of leaving em there? i guess im ok leaving past things like lyricist lounge around for viewing or the very occasional entry.

3) you're not the first person to say that @ science...i never got that. its not a big enough topic to warrant its own corner? i got no beef (that i can recall) splitting culture and arts, but science is on a number of poeples cut lists. so weird.

Consolidation is a fine line, too much and good threads get lost or never get a chance. Too little and no one can find a topic they want to discuss in the labyrinthine mess of forums and subforums. Personally, I'm more inclined to browse one forum than I am six; thus participation in potentially interesting threads is lost when I don't browse a forum b/c I forget it's there or don't even know it's there! Couldn't you fold those subforums in to Politics and just have a gif/emoticon used to designate the thread's filed, such as a dollar sign for a financial topic, or cross for a religious one, etc. like we already use the "NSFW" tag for.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

yeah...TS gets occasional other hits but you're right, its mostly those type of threads now, and holiday stuff (which is also funny since that too bleeds into the pubs). really gotta think over the idea of some kinda merge, but either way, i think you're on the money with moving pubs up.

the subforum thing...yeah, using an icon as a distinction isnt too bad. ive got to accept that the debate hall isnt a functional idea (yet! i still insist we can do formal debates one day) and $ for economic threads and such - could cut back on clutter. I like the idea of the sanctuary as a safe haven to discuss faith/religious ideas, and not to necessarily lump that in with philosophy proper.

here's our current subforums:

The Sanctuary

Economics

The Debate Hall

Powder Room

Lyricist Lounge

Hobby & Toys

hon(DOS)

The Grill

Project Mayhem

8-ballzak, read-only time capsule of Hondos Inc

a few of them could possibly stand alone, a few could possibly be absorbed, a few would do well to stay where they are, i figure - but i imagine this group'd vary on what stands where. thoughts?

Project Mayhem is the only thing I wouldn't miss. And I really wouldn't miss it. It's dumb.

Getting rid of Science sounds like complete madness to me and I don't wanna see any subforums go.

I like everything separated out and wouldn't be thrilled with a big consolidation.

I think there should be a thread for general sexiness (Pimp Hand) that's viewable by the public and everything else in there should be Shacked.

NO MAAM should be a subforum of PH, not FC. I don't think the general idea is to antagonize women, just a place to hang out with 4 fingers of your hand tucked squarely in the front of your pants and discuss general misogyny.

i think we talked about it, i think it was a thread? never a corner, though.

i like the concept for Project Mayhem, anyone can do anything there. its like a fun social experiment that, so far, has proven (likely cause it was done in FC) people will edit your words to cock-jokes and delete things. its time may've passed, though.

there's more PH love than i thought...rats. Logan outlined what he wants there ("sexiness"), could use more talk on that, as well as the pubs/town square similarities and lines. ive always been concerned that so many forums are indeed off-putting to newbies, specifically when the lines on what goes where arent clear. good to know a few of you dont feel its bogged down yet...but shit, when upgrade time comes around, that means finding skins/mods for like 40 corners. that's crazy.

i think we talked about it, i think it was a thread? never a corner, though.

i like the concept for Project Mayhem, anyone can do anything there. its like a fun social experiment that, so far, has proven (likely cause it was done in FC) people will edit your words to cock-jokes and delete things. its time may've passed, though.

there's more PH love than i thought...rats. Logan outlined what he wants there ("sexiness"), could use more talk on that, as well as the pubs/town square similarities and lines. ive always been concerned that so many forums are indeed off-putting to newbies, specifically when the lines on what goes where arent clear. good to know a few of you dont feel its bogged down yet...but shit, when upgrade time comes around, that means finding skins/mods for like 40 corners. that's crazy.

PH is a completely superfluous forum. Any originally intended purpose has since been annexed by a few other key forums(hence the talk of consolidation). The banner most assuredly needs to stay in some capacity, but a whittled-down Hondos could really make life easier for noobs and vets alike.

I have been to several web forums, and I've always found DD/HB to be rather tidy and easy to navigate. I think some of the sub forums get a bit over shadowed by its parent forum, but for the most part, I think you are looking too deep into it. I have been to confusing forums, and Hondos isn't one of them.

I think the front door could merge Suggest Box and The Gathering into Town Square, and put TS with Hells Kitchen. Barside with Philosophy Culter Science and Art are all broken down beautifully, and Entertainment couldn't get more simplified.

Just my 2 cents.

Hondo's is totally easy to navigate. Can't see a problem in this department.

The more I think about it, the more I want Project Mayhem killed. It's really irritating me now.

Does anyone come forward to defend Mr. Mayhem's right to exist?

:mob:

none here. I like it, don't get me wrong, the idea is freaking awesome, but there doesn't seem to be any activity there worth saving. I've participated myself (i love FC and all that it ensues) but the results seem to be enjoyed by few members of the community.

On that note, the Powder Room could use a new approach. it seems some of our female members of the forum feel comfortable using it, but overall this is a male enriched forum, which is fine, but I'd like to make more known (powder room that is) that there is a comfortable and non stereotypical way of adressing what's on our minds. My only true, and more fem-nazi thought is to rid of it all together (most of these threads can be merged with culture or town square as far as i can tell). As members who just so happen to have vagina's can still talk about these topics without a 'special place'. we all participate as we would in any other forum, there is no "GUY AND PENIS ONLY" forum as there is no true "VAGINA ONLY" forum.

in short, it feels segregated to talk about wedding plans or make up or whatnot in ONE forum when in fact these same topics affect everyone.

i know this may sound bad coming from one of the mods of powder room, but i doubt I'm the only one who feels this way.

so yeah. that's my two cents, I'm fine with being told "NO!" if any of the ladies disagree, but hey, it's just how i feel about the subject. I don't mind being a mod, but i'd rather see the forum as a whole come together than be a mod.

its amazing, its like i ask for a can of worms and you guys start handing me buckets

arch - wait, who said kill politics?

sig & logans vote that hondo's isnt confusing or cluttered, that's cool to hear cause i seriously hear the opposite enough to make me start buying it. i do want sharper lines on the few stated ones and your input's valued.

Dr Chikinz - aw, man. powder room was wrought with controversy in its inception, and key members like missarah, def, isa etc arent active now, its largely aarty's child and while i tend to agree with you there theoretically, at this point itd have to be her call, id feel too bad otherwise.

by (somewhat?) popular demand, unless someone does interject on behalf of Project Mayhem, im thinking of dissolving it new year's day, perhaps we could have a mad fest in there with "THE LAST THREAD OF THIS DECADE" where everyone says crazy shit that'll just get deleted at midnight...im certain no drama will result from that.

its amazing, its like i ask for a can of worms and you guys start handing me buckets

Dr Chikinz - aw, man. powder room was wrought with controversy in its inception, and key members like missarah, def, isa etc arent active now, its largely aarty's child and while i tend to agree with you there theoretically, at this point itd have to be her call, id feel too bad otherwise.

I agree 100% and only posted in order to convey an open discussion, I wouldn't wish to take anything away from long standing members.

arch - wait, who said kill politics?

sig & logans vote that hondo's isnt confusing or cluttered, that's cool to hear cause i seriously hear the opposite enough to make me start buying it. i do want sharper lines on the few stated ones and your input's valued.

by (somewhat?) popular demand, unless someone does interject on behalf of Project Mayhem, im thinking of dissolving it new year's day, perhaps we could have a mad fest in there with "THE LAST THREAD OF THIS DECADE" where everyone says crazy shit that'll just get deleted at midnight...im certain no drama will result from that.

Heh. Last thread of the decade... I could dig filling that shit up.

Can you not just lock it and save it the same way you did Hondo's Inc?

I don't like the idea of all those (7) posts being lost.