Hondo's Bar

Actual Suggestion Box

The NZA

Alright everyone, we're a bit overdue for this kind of thing, I think.

Being that we only have a few new members, most of you were here for DrunkenDeities. I again apologize for the confusion, and appreciate you regulars for staying on board. Thing is - Yahven is working on his own site these days, and it's looking good. DD, for all my efforts, was his; I rather wanted Hondo's to be a public thing, a community & alla that - like i sad, tons of message boards out there, weve got a rather cool one here, and im lookin to bring new people in, too.

Thing is..I don't simply want this place to be "the sequel to DD" or an extension of it. This corner has a feeling to it, and i really dig that, but aside from the new frontpage, skins & some customizations here & there, I haven't done a great deal different. Figured that's how many of you wanted it, but....I guess what I'm going for here is a bit more community.

Ive offered SOF to choose the skin for his forum, since he (sadly) doesnt like the current one. I'm backing/supporting other board member's efforts, here as well as their personal sites - our link section now has all the personal pages you guys have made me aware of, and I'll happily add more to :D out your work when asked. I touched up the profiles a wee bit, but much of my efforts went into the new FAQ (still tryin to make it work) and the frontpage; I hope more of you stop off & check the new pics & mp3's from time to time.

Im also trying to add new features, like "member of the month" - imagine the cheezy battles we could have, acceptance speeches, horribly drawn gif awards for signatures, etc. I'm looking into whatever I can to make our small group tighter here - seriously, were one of the few groups out there that, at least those of us who're local, can actually meet up for movies & drinks & such. We're pretty familiar here...so if you have any ideas on how this place could be made better, run em past me. I'd appreciate it, and I'll update here as new ideas arise - please bear in mind, new things i add that you arent big on, feel free to let me know; again, it's everyone's board.

Here's the box itself, till i find a better one.

PandorasBoxTitle.jpg

Yeah, me too, im fond of the idea.

I figured we'd start the party off with Jax & Benny, but as stated, Benny is AWOL at the moment...im thinkin of makin a thread over in politics with debate ideas, and askin for volunteers. We could specify rules there (just the form, rebutals & such, as well as specify the time you have to prepare each part, like a week or so i figure). Think ill set that one up soon, glad to see there's some interest tho!

And ill take ya up on that drink Tulip :D

Hmmm...as shady as politics are, they are a lot of fun. Perhaps you could suspend moderator status, and hold elections? In certain areas of course. I mean couldn't you see us all vying for the title of "Crap Shack Moderator?" I mean, use your power in a humorous way w/o abusing it. By the way, this was inspired by the whole "Member Status" thread over at Preacher's. Posting a lot is a good red-blooded American way to get to the top, but a few elections, the appointing of people to high positions based on very little merit, it keeps things stirred up and funny. Like I said, it should only apply to certain areas. Things like Politics and the Academy should be left alone. I do think the people here have diverse enough interest to keep the rest of the board alive, even when a little drama ensues... :D

Hah...you know, i only put people as mods most times to have their name on a corner & hope they take some pride in it; doesnt always work, but when it does - like Junker & the movies, SOF & bars, me & comics - it's great.

You think people'd really compete for mod status? Could definitely have some fun with it. Again, im really open to suggestion here; fight club & the bars were made on suggestions of other posters, if someone really thinks theyll back their own corner, im down.

Elections, mudslinging, bad acceptance speeches...youve got somethin goin here, Tulip.

PS SOF, meant to say in the other thread - this board's gonna be a bit brighter when KOS gets back online; tell 'im he's really been missed!

You think people'd really compete for mod status?

Sure, especially if there were some small power associated with it. For example, let them choose their own skins, make the place more in their image (of course within the contrainst of your abilities and desires) and again some small power...not really sure what your capabilities are, so I'm lost for suggestions there. Also, you can have them elected for a certain amount of time. like serving a term, OR have them rule indefinitely until people get tired of them and call for revolution. Then the moderator is deposed (in a bloody and hateful fashion :D ) and a new one is elected.

I think the first position should be that of Campaign Manager--

description: people come to this individual to get elected. CM decides who they will work with depending on what the candidate is willing to do for them. ( I see a lot of shady PMs here) As the CM is th eonly person who has to get into office by the sheer force of their shadiness, I think it should be me... :D

(**One of the major pros to this idea is the implied opportunity to use this guy a lot: :D )

I figured we'd start the party off with Jax & Benny, but as stated, Benny is AWOL at the moment...

Suggestion #1: Mount and search and rescue mission to retrieve Benny. We need that wrongheaded bastard. This place is to homogeneous without him. Either that or import new wrongheaded yet intelligent people.

Suggestion #2: Following the success of Suggestion #1, outlaw the quoting of St Thomas Aquinas in official debates.

Suggestion #3: First official debate - Who should be the 2004 Democratic Presidential Canidate to run against Bush? Me vs Any and All Takers. I'd be pushing for Clark. Set it up. I would, but I don't know how to do the locking others out, having a side thread for commentary, whether or not you wanted more than two debaters, how you wanted to moderate it and under what rules. Find one or more poster(s) that think anyone besides Clark should be the guy to take on Bush (please make it someone else who doesn't want Bush to be re-elected), and I'll be ready to go.

Suggestion #4: Other ideas for debates: Roe Vs Wade overturned? Capital Punishment, a good practice? The Beatles Vs The Stones? LOTR Vs HP? Whose got it better: Men or Women?

Suggestions #5: More than ten choices in a poll. Ten can be more than enough for some polls, but it can be not nearly enough for others.

Suggestio #6: Bring back the emoticons that have gone AWOL since the fall of DD. The new ones are nice, but why get rid of the old ones?

Suggestion #1: Mount and search and rescue mission to retrieve Benny. We need that wrongheaded bastard. This place is to homogeneous without him. Either that or import new wrongheaded yet intelligent people.

Good idea...his email failed, but i think i might have his cell # if it still works. After that, tho...im runnin low on ideas.

Suggestions 3 & 4 are solid, if there's any takers. Ill do a thread soon in politics to see who's down & for what topics.

Suggestions #5: More than ten choices in a poll. Ten can be more than enough for some polls, but it can be not nearly enough for others.

Not an option right now; ten's all we got. Maybe version 1.3 (out soon) will have more, but i aint upgradin till they get some skins goin; im a fan of em.

Suggestio #6: Bring back the emoticons that have gone AWOL since the fall of DD. The new ones are nice, but why get rid of the old ones?

Really? SB asked for the tongue one, and its back. I have em all (thankfully backed up), but i didnt bring back the ones we didnt use, like wario, angel, cow, cop, firefighter, doctor etc - by all means, lemme know what ya dig and ill put em right back on, i just dont like havin too many options of ones we dont use...

Uhm...yeah, that mighta been 2T that asked for someone to slip him the tongue...been playin Zelda all day today, be greatful i didnt call you gannondorf. And to show my appreciation for the Saved by the Bell thread, that very emoticon has been named after you... :pimp:

• 3 weeks later...

Aw, you kids...was tryin to be festive for openin weekend! There's more holiday ones onna way, cause i dig easter eggs.

Was plannin on leavin it till saturday or so, but openin nigh is over, and the fans've spoken. RA might be right, might be slightly tricky to read, but its a damn fine skin...in any event, im takin it off in a few minutes.

...though, if you dont like the (hopefuly) thanksgiving & christmas ones, here's wha to do next time: go to "my control panel", and skin settings at the bottom, i think - you should be able to change it to whatever suits you from there, and the board should save your settings.

Anyway, good of you guys to speak up, dont hesitate to do so. :D

That...is the kinda thing for your school counselor.

While lookin to se if i can make polls edit-able for Jax, i realized i could turn on the option to let you guys, in certain groups and such, add events to the calendar yourself. Your birthdays are automatic if you put them on your profile; i add a few cultural & religous ones, as well as big movie & game release dates. Just out of curiosity, if i added this function for you guys, who'd use it?

PS Jax you can edit your own topics, and i gave you the ability to edit your titles & desriptions of your own posts too, see if that works for your poll options & lemme know.

PS Jax you can edit your own topics, and i gave you the ability to edit your titles & desriptions of your own posts too, see if that works for your poll options & lemme know.

It has not given me that power. Thanks for tryin though. It's loads more than Yahve ever did? Or should I call him "He who shall not be named?"