Hondo's Bar

Actual Suggestion Box

The NZA

some, i have - you & newtype now do videogames.

some, i just leave cause they had a big hand in founding/developing that board, so their name gets stuck on it as a legacy, that's all. but if you got ideas for good mods, lemme know.

Hey, i was wondering if i can donate Hardware, say for storage purposes. See, im not really sure how some forums are structured and i would like to help somehow and since i dont werk, i cant donate munny. U__U

I hope this is within the topic...i am suggesting a sort of donation. :???:

Don - done and done.

/ of joy: MM stays for the time being, he contributed a lot there. you get video games for now tho, enjoy man.

Los - Hey man, tryin to help out right off the bat is really cool, and much apprecaited. Once i have everything with the donations straightened out, we should be back on track, havin 1 gig of space and usin about 600 MB (its a lotta text i guess), not sure if we need drive space jus yet but i will keep your kindly offer in mind.

Meantime, uh....not to take up any of your time here, but you got any ideas on a good free Chat, or mebbe ideas on things like how to not make the Member List look like frontpage ass? cause i know graphic imaging's your thing, and logos are always cool, just thought you might have an idea and im all ears.

sure, link me the gif and ill put it in your sig, shouldnt be any trouble.

Flash is great, i just dont know how to use it well. A few of our holiday front pages are done in flash (thanks to the mighty Dante) but all i know is to leave them alone and they work, but by all means, if you have a flash idea, that's cool too.

Y-E-S YES any of the top taskbar sections? Member Lounge, Photo Galleries, Member List, etc - any of these you feel like making your guiene (sp?) pig for your flash class, knock yourself out with them, i can draw up frontpage access without too much trouble and you can go nuts when youve a good working template; im sure anything you can muster, even intro level shit, is bound to beat my pattented "no-fucking-idea-so-here's-some-images-i-stole-over-a-plain-white-default-frontpage-background" style, or what i like to call, style-no-style..

shit, that's right, you do animation, why did i think web design alla sudden?

well, thats cool, if youre ever inclined, we got a few cool flash holiday-themed frontpages, but we could always use more, or even a default one. Like i said, whatever youre down for, lemme know - to this day, the one flash-like thing i got right was the DHTML menu up top of the main page, thats bout it.

Yes. Yes, you have.

it wasnt an easy decision, and its not one ive done before, but on June 29th you edited a score of your own posts, taking back everything you said, not the hostile things but the good times that were shared. Additionally, you edited at least one of Skeeter's posts, in what appared to be a malicous way.

Youre more than welcome here anytime you like, but even self-censoring on the scale you shot for violates pretty much the only rule of this joint. In the past, 2 moderators have outright deleted things they didnt like, and they simply lost the ability to do so, so i figured the same applied here. No offense was intended, but i couldnt abide by it any longer.

Additionally, the Hondo's awards are not transferable: you earned it this year, its yours. But its a shame you no longer want it.

You know I think it's annoying to say the least when Music Maniac edits out posts, especially when he deliberately enters giant posts with nothing but gibberish to make navigating the page difficult, but I'd like to think that we always have the right to edit or at least delete our posts.

Lets say I post in a thread called the Hondos Male Mutual Masturbation Meet-up. It's fun at the time, but what if I'm trying to hook up with some Nazi chick, who isn't into the whole sexual liberation thing, and she wants to go through my old posts looking for evidence of jewerey, what do I do then, I'm powerless to take back my own words and pictures of my wang slipped between IC's thighs, and I don't get me some Aryan pussy.

And that's just one legitimate use of editing I can think of, I'm sure there's more.

Its a decent example, but its not the same thing.

MM went on an editing-fest, and i temporarily restricted his ability to do this, in hopes that his many works & projects might at least leave something to show for themselves in his wake.

It might be a moot point, as he might be gone again from the looks of things. if he's not, he's welcome to again participate as he always has, and following that, his editing abilities will be restored, like anyone else's. But if you abuse an ability, i think its only fair to have it placed on hold until things can be calmed down.

for the record: very few people left, if any, have the ability to delete things theyve said, and even then its not forever lost. Again, i know weve all said our share of embarssing things at times, but this is a community of what i would like to think are freinds, and you simply cant take back everything you said later on because its embarassing...you move past it, post a few times in blargh and its soon enough forgotten most times, anyway. If were just going to change our views/whats been said according to our current mood, why not just use a chatroom, why record our words at all?

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

I see it as more of a civil liberties thing. I don't think it should be used but I think there should always be an option to remove every thing you said, especially if Mods can edit your posts and make it look like you're saying something you're not, or if you got banned and couldn't retract what you've already said. I'm not really talking about the right to edit as I am the right to delete. Possibly there's a big delete account/ posts button in every body's control panel, but I'm scarred to go looking for it.

I don't think you should edit your posts cuz you find it embaressing, Just make peace with what you felt at one point. I know there are somethings you guys have said in the past that are embaressing and outright low to other members, but it's how you felt. If you feel terrible about it later on, then apologize or something. If you have strong reasons as to why you want to have your old posts deleted/edited, for instance in you extreme point Jont:

Lets say I post in a thread called the Hondos Male Mutual Masturbation Meet-up. It's fun at the time, but what if I'm trying to hook up with some Nazi chick, who isn't into the whole sexual liberation thing, and she wants to go through my old posts looking for evidence of jewerey, what do I do then, I'm powerless to take back my own words and pictures of my wang slipped between IC's thighs, and I don't get me some Aryan pussy.

Then I'm sure IC would probably let you have the ability. Or not. Just talk to him, I'm sure he'll be reasonable. I don't agree with editing your posts to a degree in which takes back everything you've said and done in this place.

If I were to look back at this and think later how full of shit I am, then oh well. This is how I felt at the time.

MM, I like ya buddy, but you shouldn't completely detach yourself from this place by editing your posts, I like to read some of your old posts... I'm sure some others do too.

I see it as more of a civil liberties thing. I don't think it should be used but I think there should always be an option to remove every thing you said, especially if Mods can edit your posts and make it look like you're saying something you're not, or if you got banned and couldn't retract what you've already said. I'm not really talking about the right to edit as I am the right to delete.

You're right, it is a more civil liberties thing....but the right to delete was never a standard thing here.

Bear in mind, when i took over, i didnt draw up protocols, just kinda took things as they came - we got hacked, i patched the board, beefed up security. Mods starting arbitrarily deleting things, i stopped that from happening (you may notice, most deleted posts, again from the few that still have the ability to do so, end up in the crap shack, so nothing's truly lost).

I understand the main ones MM went onto were initially his projects, and he used the edit ability to change even the topc name - the same way i believe those with an ability to delete can outright delete an entire topic. Had he the ability to do so, do you think he mightve just deleted those topics? Take "Hondo's bar vs Grassy knoll" - its initially 2track's topic, but damn near everyone got involved in the imaging fun for about a week, largely MM but many others too. Should 2T have the right to undo everything everyone said, 15+ pages past his original post? Because that's what deleting can do.

Editing posts - for grammar, for misunderstandings - is a basic right, i even have it so that if you edit a few minutes after, its not even seen most times. Of the many boards ive voyeured/taken part of, this is literally the most lax one -ive been banned from a few for minor disagreements with mods/admins. Jokes aside, i dont support mods changing people's words, but youve got to admit, ive got about the most hands-off policiy here that i think is reasonable, only stepping in when things get out of hand, and most times, only doing so with words. I think the last member i restricted (spammers aside) was Stewie the Troll.

This is a publicly-funded board, and youre welcome to question policy. But i dont see the benefit in allowing members (espeically banned ones, something else we dont really do) the ability to take back/destroy all they said and all that's been said since then in those threads. Its the other side of our attempted anti-censorship policy: if i'm not gonna censor you, i expect the same treatment from you and for the others here. If you see this restriction (or simple lack of deleting ability) as compromising your freedom here or makin the place uncomfortable, im all ears.

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

I know you've said it before, and I fully agree: This place is largely a discussion board, and you can't go back into time and change what you've said and done when you're standing around talking. If I say something stupid, then I said something stupid and I'm going to correct myself in the future and not replace it.

Editing for Spelling errors? Grammar erros? yeah that's awesome and cool. Adding additional info and don't want to post a million times in a row? Of course! But ultimately if you're going to put something out there at least take responsibility for it.

I've said some pretty ignorant and stupid shit since I've been here, but I'm not going to go back now and edit my thoughts and opinions from those times. I like to see how I've grown, and how everyone here has grown together from one post to the next.

Does any of this make sense?

EDIT:

Oh sweet sweet irony!!!

Correction-

"Grammar erros?" = "Grammatical Errors?"

Edited by MetalHeart