Hondo's Bar

Comic book movies

Batman was a great film that went nowhere. The final act as Silent Bob said was ridiculous, the villain that had the most screen time didn't particularly stand out and the villain that stood out didn't have very much screen time. (And honestly, what are the chances we'll ever see Cillian Murphy back for a sequel?) and it focused too much on input love interest #1 rather than the story.

This one looks like Nolan's figured out what we want, if he focuses on Bruce and the Joker and Harvey Dent (in the way he should've focused on Gordon in the first one) he'll have a brilliant movie here. Plus he'll have a very good villain as opposed to Liam Neeson (Don't get me wrong, he's a good actor but his rendition of Ra's Al Ghul resulted in a resounding "eh" from me)

Dark Knight looks to be what Batman Begins should've been.

Cillian Murphy is in Dark Knight, though I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't last very long.

He is?! Hmm, never thought I'd see that happen. Are you sure he's in it and not just in a recap archive footage of the first film? Still, I doubt we'll ever see him as the Scarecrow proper.

Did the Batman Begins movie not quite reach the bar for you? I mean, I think this one will top it, but Batman Begins acheived what I wanted for a Batman film for so many years.

I love the Joker, and while I loved Begins to death, I have been DYING to see the Joker and batman done right. Batman was in BB, but now that the setup is out of the way, we can really delve into the characters.

Batman was a great film that went nowhere. The final act as Silent Bob said was ridiculous, the villain that had the most screen time didn't particularly stand out and the villain that stood out didn't have very much screen time. (And honestly, what are the chances we'll ever see Cillian Murphy back for a sequel?) and it focused too much on input love interest #1 rather than the story.

As to complaints about the final act, I didn't think it was nearly as bad as all that, and the Ra's twist was awesome. Cillian was never anything more than second bananna, albeit a great one. Not to mention, not all that much time was spent on the love story, and it never seemed to get in the way (unlike say, Spiderman 2, and especially 3).

I do agree that the microwave emitter was totally gay, but then again, so are a LOT of final fight things in comic book movies (Iron Monger comes to mind).

Cillian is in the film, you can even see him in the trailer, just don't blink.

oh come ON! Comparing that pussy microwave BS to Ion Monger is like comparing a fly in your drink to someone pissing in it over your shoulder.

They were both damned silly. Both created by evil CEOs, and both allowed for a bunch of really cool shots in the film, (Batman flying after the train was friggen AWESOME!)

They didn't ruing the movies by any stretch, I mean Iron Man was still great, and BB is the best comic book movie ever, but I didn't like those things.

In other news:

Marvel Entertainment released their first quarter report to its shareholders this morning to coincide with the announcement about the success this past weekend of Marvel Studios' first production Iron Man, which grossed an estimated $100.7 million domestically and over $200 million worldwide. The announcement included an update of Marvel Studios' feature film slate with the already-rumored Iron Man 2 announced for a release on April 30, 2010, followed by three more movies for the summers of '10 and '11. Matthew Vaughn's Thor is set for a release on June 4, 2010, and The First Avenger: Captain America (the working title) will kick off the summer of 2011 on May 6, followed by the highly-anticipated and foreshadowed The Avengers scheduled for July 2011. (Edgar Wright'sAnt-Man is also listed as being in development with no release date set.)

With that in mind, one can start expecting a lot more announcements in the coming months about creative teams and casting for those movies including who might direct the Captain America and Avengers movies. (Whomever plays Steve Rogers AKA Captain America presumably will be making two movies at once.)

They didn't ruing the movies by any stretch, I mean Iron Man was still great, and BB is the best comic book movie ever, but I didn't like those things.

dunno...I'd still put them as either even or Iron Man above it (for now).

Though, if it lives up to the hype, TDK looks to take #1

He is?! Hmm, never thought I'd see that happen. Are you sure he's in it and not just in a recap archive footage of the first film? Still, I doubt we'll ever see him as the Scarecrow proper.

Recap archive footage? You're lowering the bar to level of Rocky V? You'd think you'd give em the benefit of the doubt. Can't we assume he'd be in some scene in Arkhem?

Recap archive footage? You're lowering the bar to level of Rocky V? You'd think you'd give em the benefit of the doubt. Can't we assume he'd be in some scene in Arkhem?

Why would he be in Arkham, he escaped. That's the good old tried in true "We're gearing up for a sequel that's never gonna happen" trick. See: Catwoman's disappearance at the end of Batman Returns

No bishop's right, you can see him in the trailer as the Scarecrow, but you probably have to go frame by frame and look reeeeally closely. Still, once you find the shot he's in you'll see that his appearance has to be much more than just a behind-bars cameo.

In the shot where Batman jumps down onto the car, look closely at who is driving the car. Also, though I wouldn't bet money on this, it looks to me like he's wearing the Batman Begins batsuit, so I'm guessing that he tracks down the Scarecrow at the beginning of the film.

Pretty major spoiler, seriously, don't look if you don't wanna be spoiled. I wish I didn't.

Aaron Eckhart has mentioned in an interview that Two Face won't be a straight-forward villain, but rather a vengeance-fueled vigilante who is willing to go further than Batman will in bringing criminals to justice, specifically the criminals (presumably the Joker) who disfigured him and killed his fiancee. Could this mean that Rachel doesn't survive the film? Does the shot of the Joker dropping her out a window mean that she'll fall to her death without Batman swooping in? Either way, it's looking like Nolan is making an even grimmer Batman than many have thought.

Edited by Silent Bob

Marvel Entertainment released their first quarter report to its shareholders this morning to coincide with the announcement about the success this past weekend of Marvel Studios' first production Iron Man, which grossed an estimated $104.2 million domestically and over $201 million worldwide. The announcement included an update of Marvel Studios' feature film slate with the already-rumored Iron Man 2 announced for a release on April 30, 2010, followed by three more movies for the summers of '10 and '11. Matthew Vaughn's Thor is set for a release on June 4, 2010, and The First Avenger: Captain America (the working title) will kick off the summer of 2011 on May 6, followed by the highly-anticipated and foreshadowed The Avengers scheduled for July 2011. (Edgar Wright's Ant-Man is also listed as being in development with no release date set.)

In a conference call this morning, Marvel Studios' David Maisel said that Iron Man 2 will be used to introduce Thor. Regarding more "Hulk" movies, Maisel said "We definitely plan on continuing." He added that development continues on Spider-Man 4. "I can't give any other updates other than to say it's in development and everybody's excited about 'Spider-Man 4,'" he said.

With that in mind, one can start expecting a lot more announcements in the coming months about creative teams and casting for those movies including who might direct the Captain America and Avengers movies. (Whomever plays Steve Rogers AKA Captain America presumably will be making two movies at once.)

:mumble:

Y: the Last Man (I could swear I had a thread for this, but it didn't turn up in my search):

The film rights to the series have been acquired by New Line Cinema, and as of July 24, 2007 screenwriter Carl Ellsworth and director D. J. Caruso, the team behind Disturbia, are attached to the project with David S. Goyer as a producer.[2][3] Caruso intends on finishing the script in the summer and filming during the fall of 2008.

Caruso claims that the source material was too much to be told in one movie and they decided to concentrate on the best first movie they can, which would end somewhere around issue 14 of the comic series. The entire comic series as a whole would be plotted into three movies.[4] Rumors have been circulating that actor Shia LaBeouf will play the role of Yorick.[5] Caruso and Labeouf have worked together in both the films Disturbia and Eagle Eye.

-From the wikipedia.