Hondo's Bar

Comic book movies

you shut your mouth; Sam Jackson's the hardest working man in hollywood. you think its easy never turning down a script?

and yes, i agree there's not much more needed from him unless you want an interesting piece like Ennis' Fury, and Clooeny proved not many want that past myself.

Then again, weve got Deathlok and Namor scripts floating about, so im not putting anything past the studio right now.

from watchmencomicmovie.com

WB’s Watchmen DVD Strategy

“Black Freighter,” “Under The Hood” set for parallel release with Watchmen movie.

The New York Times posted an article today discussing the Warner Brothers was looking to “revive” its DVD sales with plans for a parallel release of the animated “Tales of the Black Freighter” along with a supplemental “Under The Hood” documentary which would be released five days after the March 6, 2009 release of Watchmen into theaters.

According to the Times, the “immediate goal is for the parallel release to help start a potential new movie franchise.”

Huh? Franchise? What franchise? Watchmen is a “one off” story. This ain’t no Iron Man or X-Men, so what kind of franchise does WB think they have a hold of?

The article explained that “The movie studio would not be drafting one of its top filmmakers and sinking millions into ‘Tales of the Black Freighter’ if it did not see a direct benefit for itself.” Translation: if they didn’t think they would make a crapload of money off of it, they wouldn’t have let Snyder make it.

And speaking of WB making a crapload of money… according to Snyder, the “Watchmen” film, will probably generate at least three DVD’s: “Tales of the Black Freighter,” followed about four months later by release of “Watchmen” itself, and then an “ultimate” edition in which the two are edited together into one megamovie.

Snyder went on to say, “the überfans of this property are going to go crazy for that.” I think the überfans would rather not see Watchmen made into a movie at all, but that’s another story altogether.

The original plan was to tell the “Black Freighter” story in a visual style similar to the mock-historical 300. But an early budget was approaching $20 million and the studio balked, he said. Instead, the feature will be animated. However, “Freighter” will have a budget 30 percent to 50 percent higher than a typical direct-to-DVD effort.

In the article, Snyder also said he was eager to head a direct-to-DVD project, in part because it would allow him to use more material from the Watchmen graphic novel.

“I thought the ‘Black Freighter’ story would never see the light of day,” he said. “The main picture is nearing three hours long and I know I have a fight on my hands just with that.”

It seems to me that in Snyder’s push on the studio to make the most faithful adaptation possible, he’s getting creative with WB to try to figure out how multiple DVD products could help finance his vision — and luckily WB is seeing the dollar signs associated with Snyder’s vision.

In addition, the studio plans a dozen 22- to 26-minute Webisodes to help make the complex story easier for the uninitiated to digest. Called “The Watchmen Motion Comic,” it will be a panel-by-panel slide show of the graphic novel narrated by an actor.

These webisodes could be a good sign to fans who are hoping for a lot of fidelity in the film to the source material, as panel-by-panel recreations direct from the pages of the comic would follow the story the way it was originally drawn 20 years ago.

also the minutemen first look

052708-watchmen-minutemen.jpg

Edited by alive she cried

• 2 weeks later...

There were plenty of news articles a few weeks back that talked about how Ed Norton and Louis Leterrier were unhappy with the studio-mandated final cut of The Incredible Hulk. They say the theatrical cut (only 106 minutes long) removes too many character scenes and damages the plot - a fact that many early reviews have been confirming.

In a recent interview, director Louis Leterrier has told fans that a final director's cut will be released on dvd and blu-ray and will include a whopping 70 extra minutes, making the film about three hours long. And the real exciting part of the rumor? Word is that one of the deleted scenes is a dark sequence where Bruce Banner travels to the arctic circle and finds...someone.

I'm curious to see how the final film works. I understand why they would want to cut it though. After Ang Lee's existential Haiku the series NEEDS an action reboot, and 3 hours is mighty long for a comic book movie (few characters have the ability to sustain that long a film). I hope the film is still pretty good as is though, it is going to be tough to get people in the theaters for this one, the last one was so bad I think it really hurt the franchise.

Eh, give them a break, they're new.

Originally I didn't have much desire to see Wanted. Not only did it seem to have very little of the book but none of the trailers came even close to portraying the "fuck you" attitude that made the comic so great. That was until they released this new red band trailer. Sure, the plot still doesn't resemble the comic in the slightest, but the attitude is there and that's what matters.

Wow. I'm just gonna stare at your every post with such intensity it may set my monitor ablaze. My wonder isn't due to the obviously clashing sensibilities(I've come to compare it to Fellowship it was so long and boring), just that I've never come across anyone who said they liked that Movie. Like, ever. You are the first. Congratulations. Your tiara & steakknives are in the mail.*

*Please don't think I'm faulting you, I just... wow.

I somewhat agree with Darth Fluffakins, I have no problems with Ang Lee's Hulk, it looked amazing, the action sequences were great, up until the introduction of the element guy I could almost believe in the physics of what I was seeing, you felt like things had mass. The plot itself was interesting, convoluted just the way I like it, it had the comic book drama down perfectly, all the acting was wonderful, but for some unknown reason the whole thing just doesn't work and I have no idea why. It should be a better movie than it is, and that is the mystery.

Miller addresses fans fears

from comicbookmovie.com

TO MY READERS

Much has been the fuss in the comics' blogosphere about my SPIRIT movie—much justified, much hoped for, and much to my delight, that there has been a fuss at all. Some comics readers are terrified that THE SPIRIT will be a retread of my SIN CITY. Others quarrel over the change of the SPIRIT'S traditional blue hat, mask, and jacket, to black. These are understandable concerns for any lover of Will Eisner's masterpiece. I take this opportunity to address these concerns. With glee, I take this opportunity.

THE SPIRIT is, with every effort I give it, not a rusty, dusty old monument to the work of my beloved Mentor, so much as it is an extension of what I know to have been Eisner's central intent: to create something new, witty, and exploratory. That's what he did. That's what I'm doing.

It only resembles SIN CITY in that I am its director, and, well, yes, I have my ways and my proclivities. Luckily, I was able to discern three important proclivities I share with the Master. We both love good stories. We both love New York City. And we both love beautiful women.

(Please forgive my constant present-tense references to my dear friend. His creative force, and his force of personality, remains so strong in my mind that I can't often think of Will Eisner as a man who has left us.)

Now, about that blue suit.

Comic books have long traditions based on the limitations of pre-digital printing. Among these are traditions from the old newsprint-run-through-letterpress approach (yes, comics have been—and still do--follow tradition that dates all the way back to Gutenberg!). Bad printing on pulp paper is why it was necessary for every superhero to have his emblem printed on his chest, and that everything that's black be printed in blue. Hence Superman's preposterous blue hair. And the Spirit's blue hat, mask, and suit.

In tests—and we did several—the blue made the Spirit look like an unfortunate guest at a Halloween party. Going to black brings back his essential mystery, his Zorro-like sexiness. It also makes that red tie of his look very, very cool. So I made the call, with all respect to Eisner's creation, and most importantly, to what I perceived as his underlying intention. It was an easy call for me to make. The Spirit dresses in black, and looks much the better for it. As I said, my desire was never to slavishly follow the rules of '40s printing into campy oblivion, but to reintroduce Eisner's creation, via modern technology, to our brave new world.

And THE SPIRIT as some sort of SIN CITY REDUX? No, SIN CITY, that one's my own baby, folks, and it looks the way it does for its own reasons. THE SPIRIT is, and will always be, Eisner's SPIRIT. Anybody watching me on the set could attest that I very frequently drew a storyboard for a given shot first as I saw it, then as Will might’ve seen in—and, in every case, went with what I saw as Will's version.

To drive the point home, THE SPIRIT, despite any accidental impression left by that kickass teaser-trailer, is a full-color movie. SIN CITY—and I hope to make of it a movie trilogy all its own, come Hell and high water—is, visually, a playhouse for black and white.

THE SPIRIT's been one hell of an adventure, one that's made me love the world of comics more than ever.

I'm confident that it's going to be one hell of a good movie.

Eh, give them a break, they're new.

Originally I didn't have much desire to see Wanted. Not only did it seem to have very little of the book but none of the trailers came even close to portraying the "fuck you" attitude that made the comic so great. That was until they released this new red band trailer. Sure, the plot still doesn't resemble the comic in the slightest, but the attitude is there and that's what matters.

never heard of this, looks very cool Edited by alive she cried

Titus "13!!" Pullo > Thomas Jane

though that trailer didnt really hype me, i must admit. I know Ennis brings a certain sentiment, but why do i now have 2 modern Punisher movies citing god somewhere? I guess that line was better than "god's sitting this one out" but not by much.

I'd be a lot more excited about Ray Stevenson as the Punisher if Thomas Jane hadn't come first and completely nailed that character for me. The movie was far from perfect, but I thought he was great. That said, either War Zone has a horribly edited trailer (which it definitely does) or it's a badly directed movie (which it might be). Either way, I can't tell what the hell is going on in most of that trailer and that definitely hurts the movie's appeal.

Not kidding. In the interest of Science, after watching Punisher, I went and rented Batman Forever, Batman & Robin, and the Dolph Lundgren 1988 effort on VHS. If I coulda found it I'da also watched the Captain America movie to make a fairer assesment on ruling the Thom Jane Punisher the worst comic adaption ever made.