Hondo's Bar

What's the first game you completed?

MyLeakyBucket

Don't frequent the Nintendorks too much as don't know get to play recent games as my PC is old and I have no consoles since leaving Nottingham last year (Lizard is you read this, I miss the Gamecube godammit).

However, armed with my trusty Amiga 500, I remember taking down many a game in the darkly-lit study. So everybody, show your age a bit by sharing with us what the first game you completed was and just how proud it made you.

For me it was the Amiga version of Prince of Persia. The one where you have to complete it within the hour. Took me my second attempt because I then knew all the tricks and puzzles. Sword-fighting the vizier at the end was a bitch but loved it when those end credits rolled. Booyakkasha!

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Crap, I don't even know if I can answer this question. Let's see, I think I had Atari before the original Nintendo. Howerver, I don't remember Atari games having any end. They were just....keep playing and racking points. Atleast the games I had. So, I would guess the first game I ended was on my Nintendo, which was Super Mario Brothers. If I even did finish that one first. Maybe I had to go back to it when I was older? Damn, my memory fails me.

I too remember completing Super Mario Bros first....unless you consider completing Duck Hunt by having the Zapper 0 to 3 inch from the screen to be "completeing it." Not that I didn't play it from far away too, but I wan't so see the highest levels, and I was good at point blank (and seriously, those ducks moved so fast in the final levels that it was still crazy challenging that close.)

SMB's the first I completed but I'd used the warps, something about beating that game by going thru all 32 levels is somewhat satisfying.

I agree that point blank duck hunt gets hard as fuck, but oddly me n Jont got to talking in the pub...how did the light gun work, what was the science behind?! :D

8-bit or not, couldn't figure it...

The science behind the ligth gun baffled me for a long time. Someone gave me an explanation. I'm not sure if I'm even slightly satisfied by it, but here's what I was told:

It acts as a primitive very simple camera, picking up the color of the light from the TV screen. When you fired the zapper by pressing the trigger, the screen would flash all black for one frame (goes unnoticed to the naked eye) except for the duck(s), which would be white, and if their were two ducks, white and some other color. When you shoot, if it picks up white light, it hits the duck. If not, it's a miss.

Seem like this system would be too prone to error (liek you could hit a duck by shoting at your lamp or something), but it's a reasonable explanation, which is more reasonable than my previous understanding of it (complete bafflement).

Hmm...you know, arcade games like Donkey Kong didnt end, Atari games were too poorly made to finish, and Sega Master System games were too damn hard...so it took a while. My first 8-bit game of my own, Alex Kidd in Miracle World, took five fucking years...for a poorly translated text ending. :D

Ill have to get back to you, ive no idea on the 1st...i wanna say "Rastan" tho, this classic Conan-like one for those that recall.

Shit! I should add that to the "needs to be remade" list...

Yo, I was never any good at ANY games (ask Nick)!! I don't even think I beat Mario!! My brother was the one that always beat the games! I'd just watch the ending and that would be it!! Then when Ariel and Nick moved in, I'd watch THEM beat games! There was a handfull of games that I was decent at, but never good enough to beat!

Capn - didnt you wreck my records on Mario Kart? And dont forget Jurassic Park for SNES, that was an accomplishment!

Soviet - ...Duck Hunt ended? :D

Jax - *raises hand* but fuck it was worth it.

Tourrettes - Yeah, i know what that's like.

(raises hand) I beat Turtles in Time the day I got it. Those Ninja Turtle games were the best.

Cap, you beat the SNES Jurassic Park? Damn, man, I never had the patience to beat that game! There was no way to save it!

As for the first game I beat...hmm...I don't think it was a console game at all, I think it was the original TMNT arcade game. With four people, that game was a blast and my friends and I played it for hours when I was a kid.

*raises hand*

First game I defeated was the original Legend of Zelda! 2 was harder. I didn't beat 2 until recently because of that dang shadow Link.

Anyone else remember Top Gun? I used to plau the heck out of that one.

Yes! I loved The Simpsons game, too. Sadly, we never managed to beat that one. I think we beat TMNT at least four times, though.

I got the the final boss (Mr Burns in a Mech Suit) one time. Almost bet him, but ran out of quarters. Spent at least 10 bucks on that run....

my first game i ever defeated was final fantasy, the very first one (on NES). i believe the first FF is the hardest one, still. because the very last level you had to defete all the bosses in each of their seperate areas, and it was kinda hard. all of my characters were very jacked up, and still then the game was hard. but when i defeated it, it was worthit, and that's what got me started into playing role playing games. i was 7-8ish yrs old. i think. um... bukkake!

Archived