Hondo's Bar

Best cover song

The NZA

"Cover songs" are when a band does their version of somebody else's song, like when Lenny Kravitz took the balls off of The Guess Who's "American Woman". This is a spot to talk about your favorites, not just the overall best one.

Acoustically, i remember digging John Mayer's "Message in a Bottle" cause i like the Police. Its hard to take from Hendrix's "All along the watchtower" (from Dylan), or Nirvana's cover of Bowie's "Man who sold the world". Another fun one was the Cardigans & asshat Tom Jones on "Burning down the house".

Im sure when MH comes back, ill hear more bout Tori and hers....ive read she's done everything from "Teen Spirit" to "Bonnie & Clyde '97"....

Oh, and someone recommended Tom Waits' "Papa's got a brand new bag"...ok im out for now.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really like covers. Mostly punk covers. There's a group called Me First and the Gimmie Gimmies, all they do is covers. Some of my favorites from them are "Sloop John B" from the Beach Boys, and "Leaving on a Jet Plane" from John Denver? I also like New Found Glory's cover of "Heaven Isn't Too Far Away" originally by Warrant, and their cover of "The Neverending Story". Nirvana's Man Who Sold the World is also a great cover song, but I don't think I've heard the original.

I really like covers. Mostly punk covers

Punk covers are the business. Two favourite covers ever are probably China Drum doing Wuthering Heights and Goldfinger doing 99 Red Balloons.

Also is it a hangable offence to say I prefer Perfect Circle's rendition of Imagine to John Lennon's ? :D

Punk covers are the business. Two favourite covers ever are probably China Drum doing Wuthering Heights and Goldfinger doing 99 Red Balloons.

that cover of 99 red balloons is awesome, I can't believe I left that out.

Also is it a hangable offence to say I prefer Perfect Circle's rendition of Imagine to John Lennon's ?  :D

Not to me...but to some people...

did APC add any lyrics in?

Punk covers are the business. Two favourite covers ever are probably China Drum doing Wuthering Heights

Aw yeah, that was the goods..in fact China Drum were the goods in general. As for covers

Patsy Cline's "I fall to Pieces" by Screeching Weasel

The Stone's "Satisfaction" by Devo

Thin Lizzy's "Little Girl in Bloom" by Ted Leo/Pharmascists

are some of my favotites. I'm sure more'll come layta...

Aw yeah, that was the goods..in fact China Drum were the goods in general. As for covers

Patsy Cline's "I fall to Pieces" by Screeching Weasel

The Stone's "Satisfaction" by Devo

Thin Lizzy's "Little Girl in Bloom" by Ted Leo/Pharmascists

China Drum are frikkin' great. That cover of Wuthering Heights turns a poor song into a storming song.

Also, great pick on the Devo cover, really cool stuff. I believe RATM did a cover of Devo's A beautiful world at some point. Not sure if its any good.

did APC add any lyrics in?

Don't believe so, sounded pretty faithful to me.

As for other punk cover, the Rancid/NOFX CD was cool where they did each other's songs. Rancid doing Bob was a definite highlight.

Also, some of the tunes on Less Than Jake's Grease movie covers album was pretty ool.

Johnny Cash's cover of NIN's Hurt. NIN version was awesome, Cash's version was awesome but creepy as well...it gave me some chills.

Alien Antfarm's version of Smooth Criminal. Originally by the criminally unsmooth Michael Jackson...

I also slightly prefer APC's Imagine. They make it so much more sinister.

For me

Richard Cheese - War Ensemble (most of his work actually)

Fantomas - The Godfather theme

Mr.Bungle - Super Mario Bros

mike got spiked - Toxic

Faith No More - Love Is All Around

:D Epic is such a bad ass song. What happened to Faith No More?

They split up in 1997 after Album of the Year

Mike Patton is still going with Tomahawk/Fantomas/Kaada and other such projects.

I ain't too sure what the rest are doing except for drummer Mike Bordin who know beats the skins for Ozzy.

I also slightly prefer APC's Imagine. They make it so much more sinister.

My thoughts exactly. And the lyrics really add themselves to that I think. Less hippy, more rock please.

Johnny Cash's cover of NIN's Hurt. NIN version was awesome, Cash's version was awesome but creepy as well...it gave me some chills.

Heard that for the first time on the radio soon after Cash bought the farm. Really liked it, but I challenge anyone to cover a NIN song and surpass the original. Nice try AFI (Head like a Hole cover) but no cigar for you boys.

For me

Richard Cheese - War Ensemble (most of his work actually)

Fantomas - The Godfather theme

Mr.Bungle - Super Mario Bros

mike got spiked - Toxic

Faith No More - Love Is All Around

Glad you are also a Richard Cheese fan deacon. Remember mentioning him a while back on the forum. I especially like his cover of Papa Roach's Last Resort. Mainly because he interrupts the middle of the song to go, And in the audience tonight, academy award winner Raiph Fienes. Very Noel Coward. :D

Haven't heard the Mike Got Spiked cover, or Mr. Bungle. Sounds good.

Thought of another amazing cover. Eels doing Missy Elliot's Get Your Freak On. Really sinister, electronicy and damn amazing.

Go to www.bunglefever.com for the Mr.Bungle cover. It's a live one.

The mike got spiked cover is just a thing they do live. Think they might record and put it up. I'll put a link up if they do.

I'm quite fond of Chop Suey and Insane In The Brain by good oul Richard Cheese.

The only thing better than a punk cover is a ska cover.

Avril Lavigne did a live cover of Chop Suey that was so god awful, it was hilarious. I sounds like they just decided to play it on the spot, no rehersing or anything. It's brilliantly awful.

Don't forget that Respect is a cover song. It was originally written and recorded by Otis Redding. Aretha made it hers though.

• 3 weeks later...
Also is it a hangable offence to say I prefer Perfect Circle's rendition of Imagine to John Lennon's ?  :fuming:

YES!!! YES, it is a hangable, rip-off-ballsable offense! :fuming:

I think Lennon's Imagine is more sinister--subtly sinister, mind you--'cause it sounds so benign, but when you actually listen to the lyrics, understand them...then you understand...and then it becomes creepy, even positively chilling.

I like Pearl Jam's rendition of Last Kiss, even better than the original. It makes me cry.

Smashing Pumpkins did pretty well on Landslide, but nothing compares to Stevie with Lindsey on guitar, NOTHING, PERIOD. Their live version on The Dance in '97 was the best; there's limitless backstory and emotion beyond words behind that particular one... It makes me cry, too.

The Dixie Chicks' version of the above, however, RRRREEEEKS!!! :fuming: They so ruined that song!!!

Yeah, that's a great song. Pearl Jam did a cover of a song called Crazy Mary that is among there best. There cover of Bob Dylan's Masters Of War is close to or even better than the original.

I also forgot Janis Joplin's Me And Bobby McGee was a cover. That is high up there for me.

Tainted love is a classic on it's own, an' the Manson cover was pretty fuckin' boss in my book, but on the matter of punk covers, one of the Livings End's B-Sides is a cover of TL as well. Worth the download, i gotta say. I was lucky to find it on the All torn down single.

Also, QOTSA's covers of Wake Up Screaming and The Most Exhaulted Potentate of Love are mad-fucking-as.

Archived