Hondo's Bar

Best cover song

The NZA

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
China Drum are frikkin' great. That cover of Wuthering Heights turns a poor song into a storming song.

You should be hung for that comment if anything.

The Futureheads do a good cover version of Hounds of Love, even if they are completly incapable of an origonal idea they gave it some momentum and an Oh along chorus.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I've just discovered Aimee Mann's (chick who did the music for Magnolia) cover of "The Scientist" by coldplay and I absolutely love it. It's by far Coldplay's most well written song IMO and I think Mann's delivery suits it extremely well. The lyrics are given more emphasis and the song just sounds much more honest the way she sings it.

So if you think Coldplay's stuff could be ok if not for their same sounding yawny delivery check her cover out.

I think the best cover version I've ever heard is a live version of Thirteen by Big Star covered by Elliott Smith. Stripped down to just him and a guitar, it's absolutely beautiful.

Won't you let me walk you home from school

Won't you let me meet you at the pool

Maybe Friday I can

Get tickets for the dance

And I'll take you

Won't you tell your dad, Get off my back

Tell him what we said about 'Paint It Black'

Rock 'n Roll is here to stay

Come inside where it's okay

And I'll shake you.

Won't you tell me what you're thinking of.

Would you be an outlaw for my love

If it's so, well, let me know

If it's no, well, I can go.

I won't make you.

Sorry for turning it into the Song Stuck In Your Head thread there, but I just love that lyric.

Also feel I should mention a song by Anglo/Irish band Jetplane Landing called 'Saunter', about a typical night out in my home town of Derry. It's not strictly a cover, it's basically Liam Lynch's 'United States of Whatever' with new lyrics. It's damn funny if you can actually understand the typical Derry accent, it takes some getting used to :yup:

Didnt bowie once say he thought Cobain did that song better than him?

damn good cover, either way.

Funny, right now im listenin to Mary J's "You are my everything", back when she did better music. Also, any cover Lauryn Hill touched was great.

Didnt bowie once say he thought Cobain did that song better than him?

damn good cover, either way.

Yeah, but then again, Bowie was all into the grunge/alternative scene. He said that the fact that the Pixies broke up because they just couldn't find success was proof that the record companies didn't want to take risks and push talented acts.

Anyone heard heard Green Day's version of I Fought the Law? It's a relly catchy song, so anyone how covers it can make it fun as long as they want to, but Green Day's version is even better then the Clash's version.

no, but i remember Beatie Boys doing a funny cover of Elton John's gay-ass "Benny & the jets".

oh, again, i was pleasantly surprised by Creed's cover of "Riders of the Storm", and I forgot who pointed it out, but Foo Fighters have a good portion of "Stairway to Heaven" but theyre clowning the whole time.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Misty Mountain Hop - 4 Non Blondes and Dancing Days - Stone Temple Pilots on Encomium: Tribute to Led Zeppelin

181524.jpg

Old but I love it personally... :love:

An excellent call. You heard this one?

B00002R0K6.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

some surprisingly good covers there, too.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived