Hondo's Bar

Hondo's Gaming Journal

bishopcruz

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I loved titanfall - hell, I have a giant hard on for mech games since playing Battletech as a kid. I didn't have time to play the Alpha...but I'm glad it is doing so well.

You know, it's interesting because a lot of the core mechanics are pulled from other shooters - BUT the things they added, the unique things - have started bleeding over to the games that influenced them.

Just look at the upcoming CoD game.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought my first game in quite some time. After looking up lists for best Xbox 360 games of all time, I purchased Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning. I bought largely due to a reviewer saying that the controls are really easy and it reminded them of the Fable games. I played it for the first time last night for about 30 minutes and I really enjoyed it. The gameplay is a lot like Fable 2 and 3. I bought new for $15 on Ebay.

I have really only played 5 Xbox video games for any length of time in the last time 10 years. I have mixed feelings about that. I'm looking forward to when Nicholas is 7 or 8 and maybe playing video games with him. I do not plan to allow him to play video games until that time if possible.

Kingdoms of Amalur is pretty darn fun.

I dunno how kids are with tech and such today (much less how to raise a kid to begin with), but I started playing games when I was around 5 with Super Mario World. You might try some emulators and get some older games to ease him into if you want to give him that experience that is. Modern games I think need that later start time, but some old school simple ones might be a good jumping off point too.

Glad you're gaming man, enjoy it!

• 2 weeks later...

Took a break from SF training to try a game I'd wanted to play but couldn't justify paying full price for: injustice: Gods Among Us.

I'd only really played/enjoyed MK games back during the early trilogy and always felt the combat in SF for more refined, so I didn't want to pay full retail for this - but with the batman day sale on PSN the ultimate edition was like 7 bucks so I was like, fuck it.

...I really wish I'd picked this up sooner.

My co-host kept telling me how AMAZING the injustice comic is and that the game is supposed to have this awesome story too. I'm only a few hours into it and he's right. This might be one of the best elseworld stories ever.

• 3 months later...

Been aying alot of Titanfall 2. It's fun as hell and had a great single player campaign. Damn shame that it didn't get the sales it deserved.

Also playing Earthbound in earnest finally. I'm at the second desert and am looking for a submarine. Really digging it and wish it was something I had known about when I was a kid.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I think this qualifies as a 'Gaming Journal' post - got a bug since that Disney Afternoon HD announcement...I've mentioned this elsewhere, but thought I'd share this.

My 'King of Kong' moment:

Highest score:

tumblr_om5ga6dRKl1vndct2o1_540.jpg

The big one - fastest time:

tumblr_omvhmc3VAH1vndct2o1_540.jpg

giphy.gif

Platformers are so my thing. If anyone was so inclined - you can check out my gamertag. I've got sum pretty ridiculous achievements back when I was an Achievement junkie.

I love a good challenge - here: Smash Wii U - every single Challenge complete w/out using a single hammer.

tumblr_omxl41T1oe1vndct2o1_540.jpg

Mario / Zelda / Lego games - I also gotta get all dem Stars n' Heart Containers. Big '100% Complete' gamer, too.

• Upvote 1

Yeeeaaah - LOL - EWJ is a pretty tough game to speed-run. Someone eventually beat my time...they finished in .0001 seconds. I wish Ducktales Remastered had Leaderboards...I'd looove to see where I'd rank.

NES Remix has Leaderboards - but they reset - I think everyday at like, 5pm. WTF

I don't know how to...do the sig thing...I posted my gamertag in the XBOX thread - Greedo the Hutt

• 2 weeks later...

I'm 5 or 6 chapters into FFXV at this point. I am enjoying it, but I'm worried that i just don't have enough time for a game of that scope (he says, with Persona 5 around the corner).

Playing it on my VITA helps. I feel like i grind out simple tasks while I watch TV etc.

I had 60 bucks in my playstation account from xmas, I was gonna keep it in there for PERSONA...but this damn playstation sale just hit and i bit the bullet and bought Mankind Divided. Maybe I'll try and power through FFXV and move on to Deus Ex before jumping back into another jrpg.

...also, Overwatch. Just...destroying peoples lives in overwatch. I love it.

• 2 weeks later...

tumblr_oo2tthqW5X1vndct2o1_540.jpg

tumblr_oo2tv7Yxt21vndct2o1_540.jpg

Just finished it - legit. No save states. LOL - it has infinite continues. I used to dominate this game. Whenever I would play in my later years - it'd always just be a 're-visit'...I'd only last a couple of levels. LOL - I forget where all the keys were (you need to collect a set number of keys to complete a level). This time, I sat down to finish it - it's a tough-ass game. Surprised how a lot of the later levels just came back to me...

tumblr_oo2twpcmLO1vndct2o1_540.jpg

tumblr_oo2typmrLY1vndct2o1_540.jpg

tumblr_oo2u403Mk11vndct2o1_540.jpg

tumblr_oo2u62ywZv1vndct2o1_540.jpg

My last 'Lil Mermaid screenshots didn't take so well (the game-image on the screen looked like shit) - finding a better way to take screenshots (me not being in the shot helps).

• Upvote 1

my brain wakes up and is like "yo, bro I got this".

...its kinda awesome

LOL! Totally! I regularly revisit a lot of the ol' games of yesteryear. Some I can beat while having a conversation, but - there are sum like, Little Nemo where I'd play...get to a point and be all like, 'hmmm...naaaw - think I'll b movin' on."

But, yeah - LOL - I liked that 'brain taking over' feeling on the later levels. It was like watching an old tv episode of a show you love and haven't seen in forever. It's like, "I know this, I know this..." happy.png

I'm gonna do sum more - I'm gonna commit to beating sum games (NES and SNES) I revisit regularly - but haven't actually finished in years. Tiny Toons on the SNES (and now, the NES) come to mind...and put 'em up here. I'll keep the posts short - I'll just take a pic of the title, final boss and ending (which I'll spoiler). No save-states...gonna be legit playthroughs. Maybe sum other retro gamers in here wanna share their retro-revisit victories?

Yeah - Bionic Commando is the shit. Last I checked, I was 1 in like, less than 100 people who ended up beating 'Rearmed' on the 360 on max difficulty. 'Super Hard'. It was a joke how difficult that mode was...specially the final battle - Holy GOD. The punchline was the achievement gave you a measly 5 gamerpoints. Ha. Ha.

• 4 weeks later...

tumblr_oppbuhUSh61vndct2o1_540.jpg

tumblr_oppbvschVc1vndct2o1_540.jpg

tumblr_oppbx7Fm811vndct2o1_540.jpg

tumblr_oppbyltHW11vndct2o1_540.jpg

tumblr_oppc03fcjy1vndct2o1_540.jpg

tumblr_oppc1hlPDL1vndct2o1_540.jpg

tumblr_oppc2vNy7A1vndct2o1_540.jpg

tumblr_oppc430cDh1vndct2o1_540.jpg

tumblr_oppc5mB7vd1vndct2o1_540.jpg

tumblr_oppcbs40A81vndct2o1_540.jpg

tumblr_oppcf4tnb21vndct2o1_540.jpg

No save states. I used to dominate these games as a kid. I 'Game Over'd' once doing the SNES version / 'Buster Busts Loose' (it has limited continues) - but, the NES version? Holy Hell. LOL - that, 'brain taking over' moment never happened. SHIT! Single-hit, cheap-deaths galore! Platforming skills and patience required. But - it has infinite continues. Controls are solid...I'd say on the same level as Super Mario Bros. A solid challenge...if you really, really feel that need to beat Tiny Toons on NES.

SNES had a ton of 'you just have to know' moments...a lot of 'mandatory' trial-and-error deaths. 2nd level is the hump. I ran out of continues at the last level - but going through again, I knew what to expect - beat the game w/out using a single continue.

Both have really awesome sprite-work for their respective consoles...and they're both potentially really tough games.

Had fun doin' 'em - I'm gonna do sum more 'revisits' - it's a different feel when you sit down w/ an ol' fav w/ the intent on finishing. Think I'm gonna do NES Batman next. I'll TRY - it's been awhile since I've beaten it, but I think I can do it again.

These - sadly and shamefully...emu. I'd gladly throw down sum bones if they ever hit VC. Sucks so many good games are essentially abandonware. Even still, I'm not doing these runs w/ any save-states.

EDIT: Not on pc - playing on my couch, through Wii on my TV.

Edited by Little Nemo McFly

tumblr_opqnm3zOlv1vndct2o1_540.jpg

tumblr_opqno52LC31vndct2o1_540.jpg

tumblr_opqnpmNWAJ1vndct2o1_540.jpg

^ LOL - the best pic I could do. I was freaking out!

N6S2qlrMhLuQo.gif

tumblr_opqnr75whN1vndct2o1_540.jpg

tumblr_opqnt5Hw1L1vndct2o1_540.jpg

tumblr_opqnv0qjWu1vndct2o1_540.jpg

tumblr_opqnww9UWR1vndct2o1_540.jpg

tumblr_opqnylCZjo1vndct2o1_540.jpg

tumblr_opqnzwkDls1vndct2o1_540.jpg

It's not really difficult - just really disheartening...kinda like Mega Man: if you run out of ammo trying to take out a Level Boss, you're outta luck. Ya gotta start the level again - horde ammo - and try again. Can take a few lives to max out your ammo, but infinite continues (ammo carries over) and it checkpoints when you make it to a 1-2 or 1-3...just a matter of commitment. Easy if you 'save-state' - but that's not what I'm going for. I use to beat these games blindfolded back in the day - seeing if I still got it.

My brain did 'take over' at the later stages - 'cuz I've replayed 'em so many damn times in my youth, doing the 'ammo hoarding' - trying to smite dem Bosses. Joker made me want to just quit. Brutal. Took me over an hour - replaying the level, hoarding ammo, getting all my lives wiped out in...moments. Lather, rinse, repeat...I remember throwing in the towel so many times when I was a kid. LOL! Freaked when I finally got 'em. Seriously brutal...but, I got 'em.

Is this the right thread for this kinda stuff? Gaming accomplishments? Gaming feats? Don't wanna swamp the wrong thread w/ this kinda stuff.

NES Battletoads is another tough game I've managed to beat 'back in my day' - I tried my hand at it this morning: Hell. No. Got to the 'Riding the Snakes' Level - 'Game Over' - not starting over again. LOL - I still carry the scars of what it takes to beat that game. Too painful. Good just jumpin' in - gettin' a taste...and movin' on. Sucks that game is so hard - I love Battletoads. I might do Battletoads / Double Dragon...wish I knew had to record / post gameplay in 'good' quality. Always had a hankerin' to do like, 'retro game' reviews / show-off speed runs n' the like.

"I like to play."

DES8LO.gif

• Upvote 1