Hondo's Bar

Hondo's Gaming Journal

bishopcruz

man, i love when muscle memory returns - i was showing some master system stuff to friends this weekend & remembered how i'd 1CC Rastan & a few others in the day, and some of it started coming back quick too. there's just some games that are an absolute struggle if you didn't spend a few months with them as a bored kid without other options, haha

• Upvote 1

^ LOL!!! Yes!

I think that's a huge part of it. As a kid, you get really intimate w/ sum 'difficult' games - a kid w/ a lot of free time is gonna master 'em...n' I'm seeing that doesn't totally go away. It's still in there, somewhere deep in your 'code'. LOL (Failed me on NES Tiny Toons)

'Difficult' games don't reeeally exist today - NES / GENESIS - 8-bit / 16-bit era is a gold mine for tough / challenging games w/ ancient / dead IPs. It's funky sittin' and committing to 'owning' a game you used to.

Time is a luxury when you're older, but there's a real fun gaming / personal challenge - 'going for it', again - if you got a day to kill...and want to spend it doing sumthing potentially strenuous. LOL

• 3 weeks later...

Pew! Pew!

tumblr_or2lnxyKMn1vndct2o1_540.jpg

tumblr_or2lqeZm1V1vndct2o1_540.jpg

tumblr_or2lrpHTdN1vndct2o1_540.jpg

tumblr_or2lt9mXxb1vndct2o1_540.jpg

tumblr_or2lvgoytt1vndct2o1_540.jpg

92% ain't bad - I didn't break a sweat on this - made it to the end w/ out any deaths - until the fight w/ Andross. Bastard - forgot how lethal / strong he was! I can do Star Fox 64 w/out any deaths - but it's been a very long while since I committed to beating the SNES one.

Think this was a combo of just having played the game so much in the day - and it's sequel being pretty much a remake - which I can dominate easy.

tumblr_or2lx9Pc8W1vndct2o1_540.jpg

tumblr_or2lziNJmp1vndct2o1_540.jpg

tumblr_or2m19LQEL1vndct2o1_540.jpg

tumblr_or2m312I3E1vndct2o1_540.jpg

tumblr_or2m4hXDAv1vndct2o1_540.jpg

This one can be frustrating - but, infinite continues, so it really is just a matter of how bad do you want to fight a 16-bit Dustin Hoffman. Which, I wanted to...very badly - LOL

My brain took over in the later levels - pretty cool. Like, boss patterns...'a guy pops up here'...this game has some of the prettiest sprite work on the SNES. It can take a bit to get used to the game's unique platforming physics...but it's very rewarding.

These 'last shots' keep comin' out all fuzzy! They're in the moment - and it's been forever since I've beaten these...I just get caught off guard!

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Got my plat for Final fantasy XV this weekend. You know what, it's not a bad game. It does breathe some great life into the series that it needed, and was a lot of fun.

I found myself towards the end trying to figure out how I could break the XP system, which really is easier than it sounds. I think i'd pulled something like 20 levels in about 10 minutes?

The plat is super easy. The "hardest" one is beating a level 99 creature which can be one shotted once you make it to chapter 13, no matter what your xp level is. (and is how I did all my quick leveling)

Overall did not feel like time wasted. Now I think I'm going to try out the Order 1886, since it was up for sale for like 3 bucks recently.

• 3 weeks later...

tumblr_osvybchK8p1vndct2o1_540.jpg

tumblr_osvycj01Yc1vndct2o1_540.jpg

tumblr_osvyewyQkt1vndct2o1_540.jpg

tumblr_osvygpotPJ1vndct2o1_540.jpg

tumblr_osvyitt7Fc1vndct2o1_540.jpg

tumblr_osvykoEvhR1vndct2o1_540.jpg

tumblr_osvymmOSuC1vndct2o1_540.jpg

tumblr_osvyon2yFw1vndct2o1_540.jpg

Got a touch of that Wallachia fever. This one was pretty damn tough - like Ninja Gaiden: brutal 'bump-into-you-and-knock-your-ass-off-a-ledge-and-into-the-abyss deaths'...ugh. Unlike Ninja Gaiden, tho (wink.png ), a doable challenge. I played as far as I could when I first got the NES Classic (maybe 2 stages), but sat down to beat it last night.

I went for the 'Streets of Rage' Trilogy - a few weeks ago...I couldn't even beat the first one. Couldn't get past Level 7(?) that elevator / lift part. I tried 3 freakin' times...3 whole 'Game Over's. wtf!

Working on the 'Golden Axe' series, instead. Streets of Rage 1 kicked my ass...

"...this...cannot be happening..."

e49bc87d6c754f8de864d45e6f928e5b00fbe663_hq.gif

• Upvote 1

In 6th grade, the convenience store across the street from my school had a Ninja Gaiden and Golden Axe arcade machine. Every day, me and some kid I only got the name of once would meet up to play them together. By the end of the year we could beat either on one quarter.

...I wonder if I can still summon that skill today.

Congrats on the CV win, those games are brutal but so much fun.

• 1 month later...

tumblr_ouyo5kzU9J1vndct2o1_540.jpg

tumblr_ouyo75bfyB1vndct2o1_540.jpg

tumblr_ouyo8wRtYp1vndct2o1_540.jpg

tumblr_ouyoa6pBhx1vndct2o1_540.jpg

tumblr_ouyobtZXvT1vndct2o1_540.jpg

tumblr_ouzy7xX5fO1vndct2o1_540.jpg

tumblr_ouzya9qPWO1vndct2o1_540.jpg

tumblr_ouzycbeGbA1vndct2o1_540.jpg

tumblr_ouzydu7Com1vndct2o1_540.jpg

tumblr_ouzyg0IHZH1vndct2o1_540.jpg

tumblr_ouzyhdoYZ01vndct2o1_540.jpg

I didn't go for the Chaos Emeralds in either game. 'Sonic 3' has save files - it 'autosaves' after every level, so it was just a matter of 'time' to beat it.

Sonic n' Knuckles? Yo' ass has gotta start over from the beginning if you 'Game Over', which took me a few to beat it. I only beat it w/ Knuckles...was tempted to beat it w/ Sonic, too - but...my soul hurts. LOL - too many 'Game Over's. Maybe I'll save it for when I'm closer to getting my hands on 'Sonic Mania'.

Now I gotta hankering to revisit 'Sonic Genesis'...

10b7424269acabad4a13749f51c261e5_xl.jpg

• Upvote 1

^nice man!

yeah there's weird rules to it, like most of us in the day beat sonic 3 with the emeralds & then stacked it later with S&K and i wanna say from there, you just had to get the ones in that game, and then combined it opened up the real final level (which was awesome!), ive been meaning to figure out the best way if just starting with both of em together like you can now, but like i said, i gotta get the emeralds in 2 finally first!

also i should post on sonic mania cause it's so good

Yeah, I had to do sum googlin' for a refresher on the Chaos Emeralds and the 'lock-on' bidness w/ Sonic 3. I wanted the real ending. After finding out - yeeah, funk dat jazz. LOL!

I'd have to follow sum walkthrough to get 'em all. I didn't wanna 'cheat' - going for that 'true ending'. I wanted to hunt / find 'em legit - I just ran through the games. That's gonna take time - if I'm 5 levels in and miss one...

"Impossible! So where is it?! Is it here?! Is it here...?!"

07tB_G.gif

LOL - gonna save it for my 'Sonic' SnK / S3 playthough. My OCD demands I get that legit ending.

• 6 months later...

I beat 'Thimbleweed Park' yesterday.  20 hours, 15 min...

ThimbleweedParkKeyArtSept2017-e150742941

No hints, no guides, no googlin'...on 'expert' mode.  Fuck yeah!

A point-n'-click game for lovers of point-n'-click games.  Wanna game that routinely forces you to 'think things out?'  Are you easily frustrated w/ not knowing what to do in a game?  Then - you need not apply.

It's an excellent game.  Great puzzles.  Worth the 20 bucks it costs.

Recommended to point n' click lovers...who wanna brand-new point n' click adventure to figure out and 'solve' on their own.  If you're gonna google solutions n' guides - just save your money and youtube a playthrough.

Almost a classic...buuut, in a way - it kinda is.

• Really Like 2

I've been playing the ever loving FUCK out of Monster Hunter World. I've given the series a couple chances before with Ultimate and Generations, I just couldn't get into them...

But this one, oh man this one. I'm nearing 100 hours. Kicking the shit out of everything. Started a new character with a new weapon. This is the first games I've looked forward to playing when I get home from work in awhile. Grinding has NEVER been this fun to me. Actually fun, with engaging battles that are rewarding as hell. It can be prety grueling with some monster hunts going on for 30+ mins. 

I always feel a little bad when I kill something though. I mean, the whole "story" revolves around a bunch of poachers essentially. To paraphrase a tweet I made earlier, the true monster here is yourself. And you'll have a blast murdering all of these innocent animals! 

Edited by Axels

• 2 months later...

Busted out the ol' original XBOX - and just finished 'Vice City'.

Had an itch to go through all my widescreen XBOX games - got stuck on Vice City.

vice-city.jpg

Holy hell - was it painful to get back into / play.  No free-moving camera, gun fights / aiming is dookie...awful clunky-as-hell controls...just utterly cheap deaths / mission failures / 'WASTED's galore - and hooked all the way through, just like back in the day.  LOL

Solid cutscene animation n' voice acting...I love the art style.  I've always preferred this game's pseudo-cartoony aesthetic to the ultra-real of the future titles.  It's a perfectly functional game - just has horribly, dreadfully aged mechanics.  My mind risked breaking every time I died in an extremely simple gun fight...or accidentally drowned getting off / getting on a boat...(you can't swim - water equals death)

CvT2i85WIAAv87g.jpg

4377dc0ee1222f2c20cd7d6c0ecd069d--ice-bu

This game would shine if remastered n' upgraded w/ the modern conventions of the current stuff - like what Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes did.  I'm a dunce when it comes to PC mod stuff - I'm sure someone's already been done that, years ago...but, it's a shame Vice City sits under a pile of dust in the Age of HD Remasters.

• 5 weeks later...

Man, Hyrule Warriors is fuuuuuuuunn.  I've loved the dynasty warrior series since day dot but the recent entries were getting convoluted so I haven't been dazzled by one in a while.  

Here's a funny thing.  All through the switch game drought last year,  I saw copies of fire emblem warriors and assumed it was a JRPG.  Finding out I could have been playing that this whole time instead of rolling the dice on e-shop titles make me feel like a right fucking goose. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

I've been playing the fuck out of this game. Roguelike, Metroidvania with souls like elements sounds like the opposite of a good time for me, but this game is awesome. It's fluid as hell and crazy challenging, but not unfair. I'm not very good at it and still am having a good time. It encourages aggression and using every ability you have. If you don't you're fucked. 

• Upvote 1

Yeah, I mean it's not a paid gig. Having as many console/PC options as possible would be helpful. Everyone on staff right now is just friends of mine (mostly people I met through Overwatch). And they are mostly indy titles (like today I got asked about a Kart racer, and Read Only Memories - a cyberpunk game). It's just finding people who actually want to do it. We get a lot of "yeah i want to do it" they get one article submitted and then it's suddenly too hard.