Hondo's Bar

FaVorItE MuSiCAL..

7 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

La Grange! They got some nice girls up there. Hehe.

Is the Jets song your favorite, defgoddess? My favorites are "I Feel Pretty" and "Gee, Officer Krupke!". Maria is a great song too. Maria, I just met a girl named Maria! Looks like we have ourselves the subject of a new poll!

• 2 months later...

WHAT? "No Little Shop of Horrors?" No "Cabaret?" no...huh? I am sorely disappointed about the omission of "Little Shop..." I've done that play twice, once in highschool and once off-Broadway. (both times as Audrey) I was getting paid for the off-Broadway version, but honestly, I enjoyed it more in high-shool.

Cabaret is also a blast, but the movie version is annoying... too much...Liza Minelli :D

i don't want to hear any shit from you Preacher kids about this post either...there's a little musical theater geek in all of us...

Either way, I went with "My Fair Lady" I like that it doesn't have the typical love story crap, but there is one. Also, it doesn't have a happy ending, but there could be one. Has anyone ever read Pygmalion? Interesting concept for the guys...

And shit, it's pretty funny.

• 4 weeks later...

i knowi read pygmalion.... cant seem to remember what it was about tho... so many books in my past...ack.

what was it about again? :D

Well, the play Pygmalion was basically the non-musical version of My Fair Lady, but the story of Pygmalion is as follows: Pygmlion was an Ancient Greek, and a cranky fucker at that. He hated women, well, maybe he didn't HATE them, he just found them to be pretty ridiculous. he could find fault with any woman you put in front of him, no matter what her virtues. As it turns out, this guy was also a sculptor. So one day, he starts a new project. As he's carving, his work begins to take the shape of a woman. So he goes with it. When he's finished, he has created the perfect woman...for Pygmalion. He falls madly in love with his own work and names her Galatea. He goes to pay homage to Aphrodite, and begs her to make his creation real. So she does, and they live happily ever after. Until she decides she has a mind of her own and is NOT in love with Pygmalion. Then she leaves him heart broken. However, it is that strength and lack of silliness with which he endowed her that makes him love her most. ironic.

mmph. I'm gonna come leaping out of my lurking status to comment on this. If I ABSOLUTELY had to choose from the list, I'd choose West Side Story. But, I'm gonna add my two cents in here and give an honorable mention to my personal favorite and unlisted selection, RENT. If none of you have seen it, you're sorely missing out. I would write up a little synopsis about it myself, but it would probably wind up being just as long as The ACTUAL story, so check that out if you'd like to know more. Just know that it's a great story, filled with comedy, tragedy, great and memorable music, and if you ask anyone who's ever seen it, it'll always come HIGHLY recommended.

Back to lurking for me, I s'ppose. :D

NO real vote seeing as I avoided most musicals lie the plague before. :D

West side story was ruined for me by grade school. Forced to read it and watch a horrible presentation of it then Told what to think about it. No desire to ever see it again.

Grease, never could stand that. Just doesn't agree with me I suppose.

My vore would have to be for "Old Man River" I think it was. Saw it here in TX done by some of the Theater majors. Very well done. Changed my mind on musicals as a whole. All i had seen before were torture. But this one I genuinely enjoyed.

I hope to catch a good rendition of South Pacific and the Sound of music at some point as well.

Uh.. Not really.

Music is good. Movies are good. Musicals combine the two, which, when combined properly with a talented cast, a talented orchestra/band, and a talented choreographer, makes them even better. It's like combining milk and Godiva chocolate. Not popcorn. Maybe you should check out a few musicals (that don't include "Rogers and Hammerstein" in the title) that don't suck - Rent, The Producers, Les Miserables, Into the Woods, South Pacific, Sunday in the Park with George, Jeckyll & Hyde, These are all really fantastic musicals with memorable songs, great choreography, a fascinating story, just all around great stage productions. Just because you had a bad experience with The Sound of Music doesn't mean all musicals have to suck.

I agree, I have seen next to no musicals, but it's more because I simply haven't hit that genre much yet rather than that I have an aversion to them. I thought Moulin Rogue was fuckin awesome, so I guess that has me wanting to check out more of em, I'll check out the ones Ruby reccomended, and get started on seeing the classics, then i guess I'll get back to the thread. As for upcoming ones, Chicago looks pretty good, despite the inclusion of Richard Gere.