Hondo's Bar

METALOCALYPSE

Senshik

2006-08-12_metalocalypse.jpg

METAL IS BRUTAL and funny.

Firstly I'd like to thank my bro Los for introducing me to this and also his friends in Atlanta.

As wiki states:

Metalocalypse is a Flash animated television series on Adult Swim created by Brendon Small and Tommy Blacha. It has been described as "Spinal Tap meets Scooby-Doo meets Norway." The series was originally pitched as Deathclock, but the name could not be used due to an existing trademark. The show and the main characters' band were then renamed Dethklok. The show's title was then extended to Death Clock Metalocalypse, although the starring band still retained the name Dethklok. The crew finally shortened the title to Metalocalypse because the extended show title was too complicated.

The series often has real-life musicians doing guest voices on the show. Among these are James Hetfield and Kirk Hammett of Metallica, Jeff Loomis, Steve Smyth, and Warrel Dane of Nevermore, Arch Enemy guitarist Michael Amott, King Diamond, and Cannibal Corpse frontman George 'Corpsegrinder' Fisher.

It's one ridiculous ear bleeding experience.

My take is if you've ever heard hard core metal such as Cannibal Corpse, Archenemy, Nevermore, or King Diamond and thought their music was alright or you think the whole metal scene is ridiculous to you or too hardcore, then you might like this show. I've only heard of Cannibal Corpse and I liked some of their stuff mostly cuz it made me laugh (I cum blood?!?!). I've a couple of friends into metal and this show sooooooooooooooo parodies them well, I love it! Ridiculously silly and hilarious is all I can pretty much say about it.

Edited by Senshik

Heh yea. Well honestly the show has it's moments that make you laugh a lot, but for the most part it's alright.

MH: Hope you check it out tell me what you think!

Jax: the episode you saw, was it the one when they record an track in a submarine? Mermaid Mur???

• 3 weeks later...
I love Brendon Small but this show just isn't doing it for me. Maybe I should sit on it for a while. I didn't like Venture Bros. that much at the start either...

I think that you'll either like it off the bat or you won't. So everyone who says they didn't ... will probably continue to have the same opinion. And Yes, Brendon Small is awesome. Home Movies is definitely his better work.

To me this metal show only makes me laugh in some episodes... as I continued to watch more... it ah, wasn't so funny as the first couple of episodes... but yes.

Hopefully some others will at least like the first bunch as I did...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Dethklok2.jpg

Wikipedia page because I am lazy.

Even if your not a fan of hardcore metal this show is still funny as hell. Best viewed with an open mind cos shit can get pretty fucked up heh. For me it's just an awesome combination of cool fucking music and a genuinely funny show. Think of a metal version of ATHF that has an actual plot and makes 250% more sense.

Haha yeah that one had me laughing heartily. Also "Many years ago a thing grew inside your mother. That thing was you!"

This show has reawakened my love of metal. I can't stop saying everyday things in a gravelly metal voice.

Edited by crimsonfire

Yeah so, this show for me, I figure the wholly-overrated Adult Swim is finally pulling it's weight. Nothing outside of the commercial staples like Family Guy, Boondocks or Robot Chicken has ever entertained me.

You're right. Maybe I should take my crappy thin lips and go make out with Glenn Close

Aye, Adult Swim is quite underwhelming at the best of times. That opinion would make me a social pariah in some circles but it's nice to see an AS show with some semblance of narrative and sense. The "random" thing worked when I was 15 but I dunno. Getting conservative in my old age or something.

yeah, you old farts are just bitchy. aqua teen's golden when its on, and ADD theatre when its not. there's an awful lot of shit, mind you - xavier: avenging angle, tom goes to the mayor, etc (i liked that one squidbillies i saw), but for the goods, youve got to go back to Space Ghost: Coast to Coast.

also, Robot Chicken defines hit-or-miss.

yeah, you old farts are just bitchy. aqua teen's golden when its on, and ADD theatre when its not. there's an awful lot of shit, mind you - xavier: avenging angle, tom goes to the mayor, etc (i liked that one squidbillies i saw), but for the goods, youve got to go back to Space Ghost: Coast to Coast.

also, Robot Chicken defines hit-or-miss.

Tom goes to the mayor, while being a collosal waste of DVD space, is justified for such eps as the Tenacious D Beartrap Bros one, and another I can't think of... I couldn't stand ATHF until I watched that Hand Banana episode at your behest, that ep kinda acted as a key to unlocking some skerick of pleasure from the rest of the series. Nothing has resonated the way Metalocalypse has though

I love all things Tom Goes to the Mayor and Tim & Eric: Awesome Show, Great Job! Between CJ and I, paired up with TheLogan and my sister, our love for them knows no bounds. I'm swiftly finding that we seem to be in the minority among our friends though regarding the shows :(