Hondo's Bar

Best British Comedy Series

Best Brit/Irish comedy series  

14 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well the protagonists in Father Ted were Irish, the show was made by Channel 4, Produced by Channel 4 and Shown on Channel 4, a British Station.

Therefore a british comedy, based on an Irish story.

RTE wouldn't touch it due to the fact Priests were involved, especially at the time when Bishop Casey was doing his thing, and the church abuse scandals were beginning to come out.

This in no way takes away from the quality of the program and its main writers (who were Irish) but i thought that i should just point out that little known fact.

I meant this thread to be called best british and irish comedies, so that fr. ted could be included.

But since this is currently called best British, i ask for either it be changed to british and irish or for fr. ted to be taken out.

sorry but it really annoys me when the british claim to have fr. ted, that's ours the fuck, christ knows they have enough anyway.

similarly roy keane was called one of the best british players in premiership history, and U2 were best british band ever.

Now THAT'S funny in so many ways

Its a typical British colonialism mentality that, our Irish stars are taken as their own when they're successful, when they aren't they are referred to as the "irish "

Roy Keane, is the best player in Premiership history, but thats just my opinion.

RTE wouldn't touch it due to the fact Priests were involved, especially at the time when Bishop Casey was doing his thing, and the church abuse scandals were beginning to come out.

RTE were never even offered Father Ted, they went straight to Channel 4.

And Roy Keane was the best Premiership player. Paul McGrath was the best Irish player and Steve Staunton the only one I saw score an OG from a throw-in. :blink:

Well the protagonists in Father Ted were Irish, the show was made by Channel 4, Produced by Channel 4 and Shown on Channel 4, a British Station.

This is all true but,

It's writers/creators are Irish, everybody in it is Irish, it's set in Ireland,

It's Irish.

It's similar to Jimi Hendrix, in his early carear he could not get an album made in U.S. , he moved to England, had an English manager, English producer and English bandmates.The songs on Are You Experienced, were all written, recorded and produced in England. Is this also English?

Its a typical British colonialism mentality that, our Irish stars are taken as their own when they're successful, when they aren't they are referred to as the "irish "

The Joshua Tree was once voted the best British album of all time, please explain

your answer should be twofold

1. How an Irish album can be voted best British album ever

2. How Joshua Tree can be voted best of anything

Roy Keane, is the best player in Premiership history, but thats just my opinion.

This we agree on

I see your point, its an Irish comedy, made by a british company.

While the humour is fundamentally Irish, the $'s to make it were english. I should have said produced in there, but i forgot, so shoot me!

Re the English colonialism thing, which you linked to the Joshua tree, its basically as back in the day as you know England had a huge empire, where the "sun never set" etc... therefore there is a built in mentality for the english to claim what is not theirs anymore as their own, my argument is like when they talk about darren clarke or some other good irish sportsperson, they try claim them for them selves. Ie when they are winning. Listen to the commentators, read the english websites, etc, when they lose they are referred to as Irish.

Why they named Joshua Tree best ever british album is beyond me, but then again, u2 hardly play up their irish ness, and infact the edge is from london as well.

From wiki...

Contrary to frequent rumours, Mathews and Linehan did not originally pitch the series to the Irish network RTÉ, but rather offered it directly to Hat Trick Productions and Channel 4 in the UK. Nevertheless, it is a rich irony that what went on to be one of the most popular TV shows in Ireland, performed by an almost exclusively Irish cast, and containing so many accurate (albeit comically exaggerated) depictions of national Irish eccentricities, was produced by a British broadcaster. Somewhat controversially, RTÉ initially did not buy the rights to broadcast the show in Ireland, perhaps for fear of offending more conservative viewers. However, Channel 4 is available on cable and MMDS in very many Irish homes and the show became a hit in Ireland without any help from RTÉ, who eventually responded to the obvious demand and broadcast the show themselves.

It makes sense that they wouldn't have bothered offering it to RTE as they had already been involved with British comedy shows (The Day Today, The Fast Show etc.). and as sad as it is to say, going back to Donnybrook woulda been a step backwards.

This is my experience with Little Britain

First episode: Ha ha some good sketchs there

Second episode: Are they repeating last weeks episod...oh no they're in a differnet location, it must be different. Ha

Third episode: Ok same jokes again, this is getting kinda annoying

Fourth episode: "I want that one" *click*

Archived