Hondo's Bar

tv show's you remember, but not really

Shit. We seem to have really derailed ASC's thread. Bah. 80's nostalgia beats threadular cohesion anyday!

When did nick shows like Rocko & Rugrats air stateside? I recall those a being more shows that aired here more in my teens. And yes- Gunmmi bears was AWESOME!!

Gummi bears, bouncing here and there & everywhere...

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

okay, a cartoon show I barely recall, had a non-american feel to the art style, but not anime. The show followed a lone warrior and some kids that traveled in a flying car that looked like a trojan horse. The world they traveled in was fucking surreal. The most prominent things were the warrior who was an ex-slave, had long black hair, and had a wrist-mounted minicrossbow. The bad guys consisted of the slavers and used projectile weapons that fired round pellets from a groove at the top. The bad guy weapons were long tubes that bent down at the front and they were worn like a gauntlet that went up to the fore-arm, kinda like a Jai-Lai glove thing now that I think about it...

Just try to find out about that one, hah!

Underrated? Duck Tales was like the king of cartoon shows for years (deservedly so). It was the only one that got an official movie. Well, technically Goof Troop got a movie too, but people had forgotten about the show by the time the film came out. I actually like Tail Spin, just because Disney got so ballsy with their characters in that one. Shere Khan was a badass! I remember a scene where he held another character out of an airplane by his neck. Good times.

Anyone else remember Bucky O'Hare? I can barely remember it but what I remember seems pretty fucked up.

While I may agree that Duck Tales was pretty good, Tail Spin was fucking awesome.

I agree. Esteban was a pimp.

Man, I miss when cartoons were epic. Even Dogtanian and the Three Muskahounds (the original episodes). And the shit that you could call epic are all fucking stupid Pokemon type crap. Esteban and Ulysses never tried to sell me a gameboy game, not once. Not fucking once.

If it wasn't Ulysses 31 I wasn't watching it.

I invoke the Mysterious Cities of Gold.

I agree. Esteban was a pimp.

Man, I miss when cartoons were epic. Even Dogtanian and the Three Muskahounds (the original episodes). And the shit that you could call epic are all fucking stupid Pokemon type crap. Esteban and Ulysses never tried to sell me a gameboy game, not once. Not fucking once.

HOLY FUCKING CHRIST CITIES OF GOLD.

it's something that was always in the back of my head and wasn't sure if it even existed. That followed by Voltron 5pm of an arvo.

You know, Mysterious Cities of Gold is available for download... I've got it somewhere, just haven't watched it again yet. ninja eyes m.gif

If you could take all this knowing what you're talking about bullshit to here and let us get back to not remembering crap tv shows it'd be much obliged.

Anyone remember the glut of Sci-Fi cowboy shows. There was BraveStarr and others, I've been trying for years to track down this one where it was a sherriff type character with a big fucking gun and a badass mechanical horse, though at this point I'm thinking this may have been some sort of wierd conglomerate memory of all the shows of my youth.

Oh and Jayce nad the Wheeled Warriors, i remember thinking it was awesome, and that's about it.

You're probably thinking about Galaxy Rangers

Galaxy Rangers Official Site

Galaxy Rangers Wiki

• 2 months later...
okay, a cartoon show I barely recall, had a non-american feel to the art style, but not anime. The show followed a lone warrior and some kids that traveled in a flying car that looked like a trojan horse. The world they traveled in was fucking surreal. The most prominent things were the warrior who was an ex-slave, had long black hair, and had a wrist-mounted minicrossbow. The bad guys consisted of the slavers and used projectile weapons that fired round pellets from a groove at the top. The bad guy weapons were long tubes that bent down at the front and they were worn like a gauntlet that went up to the fore-arm, kinda like a Jai-Lai glove thing now that I think about it...

Just try to find out about that one, hah!

I found it. Sweet baby bejebus I found it!

Spartikus and the Sun Beneath the Sea!

It was on right after Mysterious Cities of Gold on Nickelodeon.

Suck on it, Bitches!

• 2 years later...

The Centurions

Thundarr the Barbarian (hands down, 3 times better than He-Man ever was)

The Thing cartoon (it was Ben Grimm but as a teenager and he transformed into the thing by saying "THING RING DO YOUR THING" and putting two rings together or some shit.)

Hair Bear

VR Troopers

Whatever show it was that Dick Dasterdly was on before he was on Whacky Racers, I remember the protagonist was a carier pigeon.

The Anthill Mob.

Captain Caveman.

The 80s Flintstones with a grown-up Pebbles and Bam-Bam.

An animated Edith Anne show that aired on FOX at about the same time as The Critic.

The Ernest TV show.

The 3 Friends and Jerry.

Eek the Cat.

I remember bits and pieces of these shows but not much I can latch onto.

Whatever show it was that Dick Dasterdly was on before he was on Whacky Racers, I remember the protagonist was a carier pigeon.

That was Catch The Pigeon, a true classic.

You remember the dog Muttly? I laugh the exact same as him on a good day.

ASC - Magic Schoolbus? <3

No that's not it....good effort though.

• 2 weeks later...

NZA's post in blargh made me remember Dino Riders! Damnit, I remember wanting that brontosaurus (or whatever it's called now) and T-Rex so bad as a kid. The writing must've been fuck'n awful though b/c, I mean, a T-Rex w/ lasers. How the fuck could that show NOT work.

I'm also vaguely recalling a show set in space with triangle shaped ships. I remember having the toys and they were miniature (the figures werelike an inch and a half tall) and had magnets on their feet. Anyone?

Starcom: The U.S. Space Force maybe?

:weep:

Starcom definitely! I can honestly say I don't remember ever seeing an episode of the cartoon, but I loved the toys. Magnets plus moving parts! I'm easily amused. I never got any of the "intermediate" sized vehicles though. I had two small ships and an "action pod" though. Oddly enough "action pod" was also Herve Villechaize's nickname on the set of Fantasy Island. But I digress...

That promo vid is awesome on a stick. Do you think that guy was an actor, a toy designer, writer, or some toy exec they put in a jumpsuit? My money is on the latter.

that reminds me

o_CAPTAIN_POWER.jpg

Captainpowerxt-7.JPG

The toy, you could hold it up to the screen and shoot the tv with it, and it would tally your hits on the weird neon flashy vests... sooo 80's technology and so cool when you are 6. I had nearly all of the toys.

I kinda remember this, or more specifically the commercial.

Kinda crazy that you just mentioned 21 Jump Street.

Archived