Hondo's Bar

The best fictional onscreen president

Jumbie

Best onscreen President?  

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Watch out, you put Freeman at the top of the list. Archangel will surely say it's affirmative action, and you passed up on 7 more qualified white actors before giving the top spot to Freeman.

So just to be clear, this is not for the best acting performance, but which was the best president in the context of the story, right? Has anyone seen that Chris Rock as President movie?

For me, it was all about that speech in ID4...

Good morning. In less than an hour, aircraft from here will join others from around the world. And you will be launching the largest aerial battle in the history of mankind. "Mankind." That word should have new meaning for all of us today. We can't be consumed by our petty differences anymore. We will be united in our common interests. Perhaps it's fate that today is the Fourth of July, and you will once again be fighting for our freedom... Not from tyranny, oppression, or persecution... but from annihilation. We are fighting for our right to live. To exist. And should we win the day, the Fourth of July will no longer be known as an American holiday, but as the day the world declared in one voice: "We will not go quietly into the night!" We're going to live on! We're going to survive! Today we celebrate our Independence Day!

Its Bill Pullman all the way for me. I was gonna say him before i even saw the poll. Independence Day was easily my favourite sci fi blockbuster of the nineties.

Just a thought, are there many entirely fictional movies that didnt bother making up a president and used the current one? Be it through the use of obscure blurred actors in the distance that kinda look or sound like the real one (transformers for instance) or actual news footage of the current president on a tv.

edit: i vaguely remember a british movie that used footage of Tony Blair. Anyone recall what that was? Shaun of the Dead im thinking but i could be wrong.

I'm sorry if I go against all in this one. Independence day was good... untill that stupid speech came on. Who in fucks name would've believe that the president is a F-14 pilot (or whatever was the plane he was on). I really like the sci-fi genre. Damn, its my favourite one. Even more if there are aliens and that kinda shit around. But that part of this movie, I though it was implausible.

That said. I think Jeff "The Fly" Goldblum rocked...

As for favourite President, I go for David "Sledge Hammer" Rasche on The Sentinel :ifyouknowwhatimean:

So just to be clear, this is not for the best acting performance, but which was the best president in the context of the story, right? Has anyone seen that Chris Rock as President movie?

That movie was "Head of State" and I don't remember if Chris Rock won or not, but on the topic of Presidential comedy movies I completely forgot the one with Robin Williams running for President. "Man of the Year" he wasn't on the poll at all and Voted before I remebered him. I would totally vote for him next election.

Especially if he's honest about what he said on his broadway special.

Boogie, to be fair, the movie made sure to point out in the beginning that Bill Pullman was a fighter pilot veteran.

--------------

Crimsonfire: Under Siege used George HW Bush footage. In the movie he decomissions the Battleship. In Clear and Present Danger they had a fictional president who was an obvious stand in for the same George H W Bush.

I thought Bill Pullman kicked ass in Independence Day. What better way to boost the morale of your soldiers than to fight alongside them in the front lines? I guarantee they amended the constitution after so he could be reelected numerous times.

"Randy Quaid for Secretary of Defense!" :2T:

In Clear and Present Danger they had a fictional president who was an obvious stand in for the same George H W Bush.

150x200.jpg

That guy? I'm not sure how obvious that is...

I'd vote for Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks! "I'd just like the American people to know that they still have two of the three branches of government working for them, and that ain't bad!"

Archived