Hondo's Bar

The God Damn Batman.

TheGodDamnBatman

Hey guys, new to Hondos,

I love Batman, as im sure many do. Surprised i was the first to use this name,

and im sure when you read it, if youre up to date on comics. you cringe, but youve got to know.

so those of you who have to know, i started this thread cus a lot of people are complaining about:

All-Star Batman & Robin the Boy Wonder.

and i can completely understand why, this is not the Batman youre used to.

but i gave it a thought and said, you know, he kind of reminds me of the Batman from Dark Knight Returns.

just 30 years younger, and its hard to see through Jim Lees art, in contrast to millers DKR. sets a completely different mood.

but thats just my .02, and if it turns out so, remember who predicted it all.

The God Damn Batman.

I wanted something along the lines of Batman: Year One or The Dark Knight Returns.

I ended up totally disappointed, just like I was with DK2.

Batman is my all-time favorite comic character, and I've come to accept that there'll be great storylines (DKR, B:YO, The Long Halloween, HUSH, etc.) and bad ones (Broken City, Officer Down,etc.). With any character with as rich a history, it's to be expected.

Edited by White Line Nightmare

:sad:

pretty sure this belongs in town square, but....

anyway, yeah, i get the idea that its DKR bats but younger, but it doesnt fit like it did. Where Miller's writing was laying groundwork in DKR (and his :king: mini, Sin City etc) it feels somewhere between contrived and self-parody at parts now, and i cant put that all on Lee's art.

Batman's insecure and likes fucking on crime scenes when he's not offing cops, Robin's eating rats from cave floors hours after seeing his folks die, Alfred has a sixpack and frankly, i'm a little concerned.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
Oh, i forgot to use the word Prequel.

Think about it.

holy shit, dude called it 3 years ago. give your boy props, john.

batman_retarded.jpg

DC's big news out of Wondercon this weekend (for me, at least) is that psycho-iest of the psycho Batman tales, Frank Miller's All-Star Batman -- you remember, the Batman that A) asked Robin if he was retarded, b) had rough sex with Black Canary on a filthy pier, and C) painted himself yellow to meet Green Lantern and also drank lemonade -- is coming back. The series will receive six more issues, which won't even start coming out until 2011.

But my favorite part is this: so remember how DC's All-Star series was supposed to be the ultimate, most iconic version of these characters? And Grant Morrison's All-Star Superman was, but Frank Miller's Batman had him running around Gotham City, cackling to himself how awesome it was being Batman, which is totally entertaining but not at all how Batman should act? Well, DC has retitled the series Dark Knight: Boy Wonder, and -- apparently -- decided that this is part of Miller's Dark Knight Returns universe. While I'm baffled at the colon (surely a comma would have better better) I'm even more baffled by DC shoehorning this ridiculous tale into the Dark Knight world. Yes, The Dark Knight Strikes Back is also batshit insane in much the same way as Miller's All-Star Batman, but The Dark Knight Returns isn't, and thus you now have one ridiculous Batman universe with a small island of sensible storytelling in the middle. Look, DC, just let this one go. All-Star Batman is a massively entertaining, horrible Batman story unto itself.

so had to look this up, when newt told me i must've assumed he was kidding.

It seems reasonable, All Star Batman is pretty much Ultimate Batman (despite DC's claims that their alternate line-up isn't a rip-off of Ultimate Marvel) and Frank Miller writes the same damn Batman every time. I'd argue that this book just fills in the blanks between Year One and Dark Knight. Year One was the most withdrawn of Miller's shit, but if you're trying to tell me that Dark Knight Returns didn't have early symptoms of Frank Miller's Crazy-itis then you need to go back and read it. Maybe you've forgotten the inexplicable swastika tits or the Bat-Tank that comes equipped with machine guns and a cannon (but is totally non-lethal)

right, but that means Year One happens, Bats goes from more subdued to cop-killing, robin-go-eat-them-rats-you'se-a-soldier-boy crazy (let's not forget fucking at the scene of the crime), to DKR bats, who is also crazy but less up on trying to prove he's bats and back to not killing. i guess it works, but its pretty damn bumpy.

It seems reasonable, All Star Batman is pretty much Ultimate Batman (despite DC's claims that their alternate line-up isn't a rip-off of Ultimate Marvel) and Frank Miller writes the same damn Batman every time. I'd argue that this book just fills in the blanks between Year One and Dark Knight. Year One was the most withdrawn of Miller's shit, but if you're trying to tell me that Dark Knight Returns didn't have early symptoms of Frank Miller's Crazy-itis then you need to go back and read it. Maybe you've forgotten the inexplicable swastika tits or the Bat-Tank that comes equipped with machine guns and a cannon (but is totally non-lethal)

I probably should do that b/c I'm totally blanking on swastika tits.

Was it the big fat guy w/ the weird sun glasses?

Also, couldn't the non-lethal tank fire rubber bullets and flash rounds to scare the baddies? You got me on the cannon though...unless it shoots those bean-bag thingies cops sometimes use. However, I do seem to recall 'splosions...but I don't even rightly remember swastika tits, so my memory isn't a valid source on this by any means.

• 3 months later...

My only beef is that this is shoehorned into the Dark Knight continuity, because it doesn't work there either. I'm thrilled with Batman not acting like "our" Batman, it's an alternate universe. Please, take this opportunity to change shit around and give me an entertaining story without worrying about bothersome continuity or established character personalities.

I just read it like it was a What If... Elseworlds.