Hondo's Bar

Amy Winehouse's Dismal Concert

Acalis

Full article and pics can be found here.

Winehouse in the doghouse after 'atrocious' tour debut

Thu Nov 15, 2:59 PM ET

LONDON (AFP) - Troubled soul singer Amy Winehouse kicked off her 17-date tour with a shambolic performance that saw fuming fans booing and marching out, reports said Thursday.

ADVERTISEMENT

The concert at the National Indoor Arena in Birmingham, was a chance for the 24-year-old to get back to singing and put her woes behind her.

Winehouse has had "health issues" -- widely reported to be drug and alcohol abuse -- and her party-loving husband Blake Fielder-Civil is being held on grievous bodily harm and conspiracy to pervert the course of justice charges.

But Wednesday's gig at the NIA, which can hold up to 13,000 people, was slammed by angry fans as a "disgrace" after she turned up late and stumbled about the stage.

When punters started jeering, Winehouse snapped: "Let me tell you something. First of all, if you're booing, you're a mug for buying a ticket.

"Second, to all those booing, just wait till my husband gets out of incarceration -- and I mean that."

The Birmingham Mail newspaper's music critic Andy Coleman said it was "one of the saddest nights of my life".

"I saw a supremely talented artist reduced to tears, stumbling around the stage and, unforgivably, swearing at the audience," he wrote.

James Dyas demanded his money back, according to London's Evening Standard newspaper.

"She came on stage half an hour late. She managed four songs but was slurring her words and swaying all over the place," he said.

"She fell into the guitar stand and dropped the microphone -- it was atrocious. The song dedicated to her husband was so bad it was like swinging a cat round your head."

An, from Birmingham, commented on The Times newspaper's website: "Her singing was awful, out of tune and slurred. She sang for around 50 minutes -- drinking throughout.

"I have never seen so many people leave a show. 'Valerie' was my favourite song -- she massacred it!"

Pete Massera, from north-west England, added: "It was an absolutely atrocious gig. I, like many others in the audience, got our coats and left before she even finished the set."

Gary Atwell, from nearby Rugby, said "streams" of fans walked out, according to the BBC website.

"I went out for a sneaky cigarette half way through and at least 40 people left, just in that five minutes," he said.

"Valerie", the closing number, descended into chaos when Winehouse stopped singing, dropped the microphone and walked off stage.

Winehouse, named best British female solo artist at the Brit Awards in February, has rarely been out of the newspapers in recent months due to her lifestyle issues.

Such a shame.

She's genuinely gifted, and she's squandering her opportunity.

Back to Black is one of my favorite albums of the year, and she's capable of creating even better music and achieving greater things, but she's really gotta sort herself out.

I hope she does.

I agree, WLN...it's by far, one of my favorite albums and I had looked forward to one day seeing her perform live on stage, but this makes me weary...not paying mula to see someone slosh around & sing off key...I can do that all by my lonesome in front of the mirror...

Yeah, right. She'll get clean then she'll be as boring clean Eric Clapton.

Perhaps.

But I think as long as she's working with talented producers like Ronson, they'll challenge her to do her best. I'd lov e to see her collaborate with Rick Rubin, since he does great work with artists who defy genres. Winehouse mixes a bit of jazz, 60s soul/R&B, hip-hop, and even Studio One-era ska, so I doubt she'd be afraid to think outside the box, but again, she's gotta get her shit figured out. No record company is going to take a chance and give thousands of dollars to cover recording costs to an artist who's addicted to hard drugs and has a track record of being a no-show for concerts and video shoots.

There's a better chance of her going soft if she has a kid, which she's mentioned before. I think she believes that if she gets pregnant ASAP, it'll force her and her husband to sober up and stay clean... but she's an addict's addict, where it's all or nothing, and it'll be sad to see her as a junkie whose kid couldn't help her kick her habit.

You're right. No one with kids have ever done drugs.

She's a train running down a spiral, and she's probably go the way of Jim Morrison and Janis Joplin. You can't sing the blues unless you pays the dues, and it ain't no weekend gig. You live and die it.

I'm not saying that she's going to quit doing drugs if she has a kid-- I think that's what she is hoping will happen.

Like a lot of other young people, I'm guessing she feels that baby will make everything okay, when it won't.

That's flawed, junkie thinking.

The only reason why I said she'd probably go soft if she had a child is because, like, 99.9% of artists who've had kids end up making boring, mediocre crap. George Lucas before babies? The original Star Wars trilogy. George Lucas afterwards? The prequels.

The only two guys I can think of who didn't go soft post-kids are David Chronenberg and David Lynch, who've managed to create some of the most disturbing films I've ever seen AFTER becoming fathers.

The only reason why I said she'd probably go soft if she had a child is because, like, 99.9% of artists who've had kids end up making boring, mediocre crap. George Lucas before babies? The original Star Wars trilogy. George Lucas afterwards? The prequels.

The only two guys I can think of who didn't go soft post-kids are David Chronenberg and David Lynch, who've managed to create some of the most disturbing films I've ever seen AFTER becoming fathers.

First of all, that's BS. I can think of lots of artists with kids that are great. Frank Zappa's wife was pregnant when he made his second album. John Lennon's first kid was born in 1963 when Please Please Me was released. Bowie's first kid was born in 1971, before Hunky Dory was recorded. Second of all, there is no second of all.

She's a train running down a spiral, and she's probably go the way of Jim Morrison and Janis Joplin. You can't sing the blues unless you pays the dues, and it ain't no weekend gig. You live and die it.

Just like painters. They only seem to get truly recognized AFTER they are dead.

• 2 years later...

Looks like Amy Winehouse just keeps on making shit decisions.

Amy Winehouse is planning to re-marry her ex-husband Blake Fielder-Civil, and he's insisting they want to "get things right" by exchanging vows again.

The pair divorced last July on the grounds of Winehouse's adultery, following a turbulent two-year marriage which saw them sink into drug abuse.

I loved Back to Black and even liked her more jazzy debut album Frank. I wish she'd get her shit together long enough to record at least one more great album before she annihilates herself with drugs/booze/domestic abuse.

Looks like Amy Winehouse just keeps on making shit decisions.

I loved Back to Black and even liked her more jazzy debut album Frank. I wish she'd get her shit together long enough to record at least one more great album before she annihilates herself with drugs/booze/domestic abuse.

Seriously. I haven't heard a lot from her, but when she was on top, she was on fucking top! It really pisses me off when people just piss that kind of talent away.

You're right. No one with kids have ever done drugs.

Morrison and Joplin were amateurs compared to Amy Winehouse, there was at least some doubt that they'd die before they hit 30. Amy Winehouse isn't a runaway train, she's a bottle of nitroglycerin in a paint-can shaker, she's going down and when it happens she's going hard. That's most of the reason anybody's following her these days.

And being a spioled coke-head is not blue's worthy. If your entire paycheck goes up your nose then it's your own damn fault, and whinging about it isn't tragic or entertaining. The best blues singers are those that started out with hardship, not the ones who put themselves there. On that note, you know who's a great blues singer? BB King. You know what's interesting about him? He's still fucking alive and not a fucking drug addict.

Morrison and Joplin were amateurs compared to Amy Winehouse, there was at least some doubt that they'd die before they hit 30. Amy Winehouse isn't a runaway train, she's a bottle of nitroglycerin in a paint-can shaker, she's going down and when it happens she's going hard. That's most of the reason anybody's following her these days.

And being a spioled coke-head is not blue's worthy. If your entire paycheck goes up your nose then it's your own damn fault, and whinging about it isn't tragic or entertaining. The best blues singers are those that started out with hardship, not the ones who put themselves there. On that note, you know who's a great blues singer? BB King. You know what's interesting about him? He's still fucking alive and not a fucking drug addict.

:howyoudoin:

Epic win!

Personally though I'm truly hoping she has another great album or two (if I'm being really optimistic) in her. Her voice is stellar, lyrics raw and real, and the Motown meets Kanye sound of her last album, Back To Black, is some of the greatest music of the last decade IMHO.

On that note, you know who's a great blues singer? BB King. You know what's interesting about him? He's still fucking alive and not a fucking drug addict.

aw, we could do anecdotal shit all day - if you're gonna act like some of the best jazz/blues/rock singers and drug use dont have a strong corelation, you're being dishonest to make the point, man. i.e.: Wynton Marsalis is alive and great, and i dont know that he ever used shit, he sure doesnt now. you know who did? Coltrane, Miles, Monk, etc.

Winehouse might die, might just pull a Lauryn Hill and stop making music cause so many are caught up with talking about her life and not her works. that said, last i heard of her was "you know im no good" so i might've missed her last album as well.

Hill put out possibly her best/deepest album after miseducation, yeah, and then split. but people were talking mad shit about if she had a ghost writer, is she with wycleff, what cereal does she eat etc and then boom, we're left with talentless bitches like ashanti and everyone wonders why. on that note, do we have a proper thread for talking winehouse's music? cause we should.

and im so not indulging a "x > y" battle here, they're quite different people/genres and i preemptively pull the "you dont know the fuck you're talkin bout card here", just to say modern music is worse off without the two.

I don't really recall all this obsession w/ Lauryn Hill in the media. Maybe in the hip-hop community, but nothing at all in the mainstream like Winehouse. Anyway, you're way more into R&B than me, so I'd guess you'd know about the media on Hill in the day

but it's a good thing you're not indulging in an a "x>y" debate on this one as you'd totally lose.

aw, we could do anecdotal shit all day - if you're gonna act like some of the best jazz/blues/rock singers and drug use dont have a strong corelation, you're being dishonest to make the point, man. i.e.: Wynton Marsalis is alive and great, and i dont know that he ever used shit, he sure doesnt now. you know who did? Coltrane, Miles, Monk, etc.

Winehouse might die, might just pull a Lauryn Hill and stop making music cause so many are caught up with talking about her life and not her works. that said, last i heard of her was "you know im no good" so i might've missed her last album as well.

No, I'm just saying you don't have to be an entitled shit-head and do coke on stage to be a good blues singer. Obviously drugs were invovled with a lot of good music, I mean, look at the 70s. Do you honestly think Disco Duck was a sober man's idea?

but it's a good thing you're not indulging in an a "x>y" debate on this one as you'd totally lose.

you should educate yourself first. if nothing else, you'll be a better person.

baytor - happily pleading ignorance on disco duck, but yeah, we're in agreement here then. its always shitty when fans get dicked out of concerts - bon jovi not playing his old shit, jewel going crazy and just reading poetry...fuck, one of my favorites is MF Doom, great rapper, i think his next album's called "Impostor". dudes on the west coast are saying they're going to club performances of his (he always wears a Dr Doom mask, natch) and getting "doombots" - clearly shorter/fatter people on the mic than Doom himself. its a funny viral way to get the idea out there, but pretty shitty if you paid to see that show, heh.

Archived