Hondo's Bar

Beowulf

Acalis

I just got done seeing Beowulf in the theaters. They have 2 versions: the regular theatrical release, and a version in digital 3D. I recommend you see it in 3D!!! Trust me it will be worth it! As for the movie itself, the best way I can describe it is imagine a cross between Lord of the Rings and Shrek, but with a 300 feel to it. It is computer animated, but with real actors, kinda like Sky Captain and the World of tomorrow. And Angelina Jolie looks HOTTTTT in this movie! So I definitely recommend it. ^_^

I saw it Friday on a regular screen. I enjoyed the writing and performances, etc enough to watch it a second time on Imax 3-D. Acalis, what's the closest Imax Screen playing it for Miamians?

Well the closest Imax I know of is over at Sunset Place.

But the regular theaters are showing the 3D version as well. I saw the 3D version at Dolphin Mall believe it or not. You buy the tickets and then they give you the glasses right there at the ticket booth.

Acalis, the IMAX @ Sunset Place has been closed for a long time...maybe even years. I went to the IMAX website, though & it's playing in Ft. Lauderdale which isn't too bad. (The Chancellor & I had contemplated driving to Tampa to see 300)...

Autonation IMAX

401 SW Second St.

Fort Lauderdale FL

US

954-463-4629

Actually, believe it or not, the actors are cg too. So it's more like The Polar Express or Final Fantasy.

I'm not sure if Acalis was convinced that the CG actors were real, or just simply thought that Jude Law wasn't convincing enough in Sky Captain, but just in case there's any doubt in the matter, here's Ray Winstone in Beowulf:

beowulf2SCPE2507_468x322.jpg

Ray Winstone in real life and (the excellent) Sexy Beast.

raywinstoneBIG2507_468x391.jpg

I'm not sure if Acalis was convinced that the CG actors were real, or just simply thought that Jude Law wasn't convincing enough in Sky Captain, but just in case there's any doubt in the matter, here's Ray Winstone in Beowulf:

beowulf2SCPE2507_468x322.jpg

You know what's funny? At times I thought it was Sean Bean playing Beowulf. And I am not the only one who thought so. Check out the Beowulf threads on imdb.com and you will see a lot of people thought so too.

• 2 weeks later...

Ray Winstone was fucking terrible in that movie. "Oim 'ere ta kill your monsta'!"

Apart from the mind bogglingly good CG and some decent action sequences (and angelina looking incredibly tasty) i thought it was quite shit. Although Grendel has to be the creepiest fucking monster ive seen in a movie for a while.

Ben & I saw this on Saturday. We liked it. Me, having read the original story in HS liked the adaptation...I'm sure Ben liked it for Angelina, lol...anyhoo...the CG kicked butt and I agree with Crim...Grendel was creepy...<shudder>

Nope, nothing compares to Leonidas...

Was I the only one during the Grendal fight scene who was laughing my ass off at the creative ways they were finding to hide Beowulf's man tackle? It was reminiscent of the end of Austin Powers and equally ridiculous.

Nope, I was chuckling the entire time...strategic.

Well, the middle-schooler sitting behind me was quick to submit his review of "gay", but I found it to be not only brashly heterosexual but well written and beautifully animated.

During that scene I was wondering...did they actually render his man-jibblets only to hide them, or did they just make him a Ken doll?
One of those questions where you'll lose sleep over it either way.

Was I the only one during the Grendal fight scene who was laughing my ass off at the creative ways they were finding to hide Beowulf's man tackle? It was reminiscent of the end of Austin Powers and equally ridiculous.

Yeah I thought it was clever and pretty funny.

Anyone else see the 3d Coraline trailer when they saw this movie?

I saw the 3D version, and I remember several 3D trailers, didn't know if one was Coraline, but I did remember one for Journey To The Center Of The Earth with Brendan Fraser, or something like that.

Yeah I thought it was clever and pretty funny.

I saw the 3D version, and I remember several 3D trailers, didn't know if one was Coraline, but I did remember one for Journey To The Center Of The Earth with Brendan Fraser, or something like that.

Didn't see that one. :(

Archived