Hondo's Bar

The Daredevil Movie opinion poll

Daredevil Movie  

14 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This topic was recently sparked in the ongoing and rarely dormant 'Comic Book movies' thread between senile old coot Hondonian, Skeeter, and cocky young whippersnapper with no respect for his elders Hondonian, 'Logan_Snikt!!' Here was my opinion:

DD was a good (like SB said, not great) movie. It's greatest downfall was squandered potential, in many departments (while I agree with SB that the casting was hit and miss, I thought the casting of Pantoliano as Ulrich was great). Here's the thing: Marvel finally got serious about movie adaptations about 10 years ago. You can choose to cite Blade as the first movie to usher in the new era, but most will point to 2000's X-Men. As fictional Kevin Smith character Brody Bruce explained in Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back, when X-Men hit big, it opened up the floodgates and even studio rushed to buy up every property. If X-Men made the comic-loving minority and the general public cautiously open to the idea that maybe comic book movie adaptations could be great again, then 2002's Spider-Man rose expectations to absurd heights. Daredevil was the first movie to try to live up to the expectations that Spider-Man ignited, and that X2 (to be released less than 3 month later, and at that point was clearly going to be very good) was further fueling. I was the first to admit walking out of Daredevil in February of 2003, with excitement from X2 on my mind, that Daredevil flew below my expectations. That was then. Take a look at the list of theatrical Marvel adaptations since X-Men

X-Men 2000

Blade II 2002

Spider-Man 2002

Daredevil 2003

X2 2003

Hulk 2003

The Punisher 2004

Spider-Man 2 2004

Blade: Trinity 2004

Elektra 2005

Fantastic Four 2005

X-Men: The Last Stand

Ghost Rider 2007

Spider-Man 3 2007

Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer 2007

So, looking at that list and trying to rank them from best to worst, I'd say X1, X2, Spidey 1 and Spidey 2 are likely to fill almost everyone's top 4, admittedly in a variety of orders for different folk. So, eliminate those 4 and you have Blade II, Daredevil, Hulk, Punisher, Blade 3, Elektra, Fantastic Four, X3, Ghost Rider, Spider-Man 3, and Fantastic Four 2. Can you honestly say that Daredevil doesn't rise to the top of that list? If you don't agree, have you seen in since it's theatrical release? Because as I said, at the time, relative to what WAS and what was EXPECTED, it is likely your memory is tainted with understandable disappointment.

I smells a DD movie option poll, and I think I have the break down to cover most of the option, involving liking the theatrical release, the directors cuts, and all that. I need to go make a pundit square, excuse me.

PS Speaking of high expectations, I expect no less than for Iron Man to be a movie in the league of X1, X2, SP1 and SP2. I have no such expectations for any other announced Marvel adaptation.

This poll doesn't have all the possible options, and that's based on my bias. Namely, the big bias I incorporated was I created no option for having seen both, liking the Theatrical Version but not the Director's Cut. I didn't really see that as a likely possibility (unless you just really hate Coolio so much that his presence in an acting capacity would turn you off). Also, I didn't include an option for people who saw the Director's Cut but have never seen the Theatrical Version. Also, the Sequel question allows for multiple answers.

Have fun.

I say bring on the sequel with the same cast but probably a different writer/director (not Smith, though...at least not in the director's chair). I liked Affleck as Daredevil, I liked Favreau as Foggy, I liked Farrell as Bullseye and I even liked Joey Pants (I just wish his character had been more in line with the comics). Now that the origin is out of the way and the main players have been introduced, I think they could really do a great Daredevil movie.

:jedi: i am not a whipper snapper...... anyway, god please not another daredevil movie. the last one was terrible!!!!! dont't get me wrong i love DD the comic, even though bendis is kind of hogging the character for himself. but please no sequel i dont want to see another spider...ugh.. i mean DD movie. and can they please get this director off of comic movies, hes already managed to taint my love for DD and ghost rider.

I saw both, and neither did anything for me. While it wasn't (as I keep jesting) as terrible as Hulk, Cat Woman or Ghost Rider, it wasn't even as entertaining as Fantastic Four (which is all that can be said about that franchise: 'entertaining').

I say give it a reboot.

DD's about the most well-written character (my opinion) in Marvel, and as one of the street vigilante guys, could be done an awesome movie for a budget closer to The Crow than say, The Hulk (same thoughts on a Punisher movie, or Moon Knight, etc).

Reboot, and do it right this time: either a low-key Born Again arc, or just run with Smith's Guardian Devil. Or better yet? an HBO limited based on Bendis' work, leading right up to Bru's. I shit you not, these things could work and be crazy badass for a lot less than im willing to bet the original movie cost.

I wouldn't wanna see a sequel because there was way too much hate and it'd depart too far from what made the 1st one great. Same goes for a reboot. And how is it GH & DD are drawing so many comparisons? GH was cack whereas DD was very disputably tiptop. The only people I know who like GH the movie have never laid eyes on a comic and think that kind of campness is what the medium is all about. I've personally run out of Pride of Baghdad copies to beat them around the head with...

i saw the theatrical version and i hated it.

now it could be as jax was saying it was such a let down after x-men and spider-man, but i doubt it.

it came across to me as pure rubbish.

now comparing it to marvels latest

X2 2003 - way better

Hulk 2003 - worse

The Punisher 2004 - never saw due to looking shit

Spider-Man 2 2004 - way better

Blade: Trinity 2004 - never saw due to hating the first one

Elektra 2005 - never saw due to dd being so bad

Fantastic Four 2005 - worse

X-Men: The Last Stand - *sigh* worse somehow

Ghost Rider 2007 - never saw due to looking shit

Spider-Man 3 2007 - way better

Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer 2007 - never saw due to the first one being shit

i love the dd character (but have'nt read anywhere near as much dd as i have x-men and spider-man though i have read most of frank miller's stuff) and would love to see a reboot fixing the past wrongs.

See though, the only movies you're rated higher than DD are X2 and the Spidey sequels(how'd you feel about the first of each) and the rest you haven't bothered with on account of looking shit. True enough, you've saved yourself a lotta heartbreak there, but how can you come from a miller DD background and not love the whole movie?

Since i never saw the Director's cut, I have to ask: Is really that different from the theatrical version?

I own the 2 dvds version of the movie, and I think it's OK (not great). I think it could have been much more worse. It was true to the origin of the characther in the comic (Sort of).

That said: I couldn't possibly stand a reboot. If another movie was to be made, I would very much preffer that they based it in the FM arc.

See though, the only movies you're rated higher than DD are X2 and the Spidey sequels(how'd you feel about the first of each)

i'd definately rate the first spidey and x-men higher than dd.

but how can you come from a miller DD background and not love the whole movie?

the acting was terrible, i like affleck but i thought he was rubbish and very unconvincing. it really felt like he was'nt trying,

the same with your one that played elektra. just sub-par acting. the only good thing about the movie was colin farrell as bullseye i thought he did it very well.

• 2 weeks later...

The director's cut of the film was way better in my opinion. Affleck said he'd never do another one and thats alright cause he was way to tall for Matt Murdock. Everyone else in the cast was decent enough. Jon Favrou was especially excellent as Foggy Nelson.

What if they made another movie, but not a sequal? I believe thats what they're doing with "Hulk" isn't it?

For being one of marvel's greatest hero concepts ever, I hate to see the movie adaption taint the character like it has.

Affleck said he'd never do another one

That's also not true, he said: "I suppose that if Kevin Smith wrote it and was going to be involved, I would do it." Otherwise, no. It's not a stretch seeing as Smith wrote a story arc for the DD books, though it's more of a stretch now after 6 years with nothing happening.

Mark my words, Marvel doesn't want to give up potential profit from a major license just because one movie flopped (two if you count Elektra). If they were happy to reboot both Hulk and Punisher after less than 5 fives, surely Marvel has similar hopes for DD. They are probably hoping to buy the rights back from Fox to be made in house in the new Marvel Studios. If Fox doesn't plan on using the license, I hope they consider selling it back.

That's also not true, he said: "I suppose that if Kevin Smith wrote it and was going to be involved, I would do it." Otherwise, no. It's not a stretch seeing as Smith wrote a story arc for the DD books, though it's more of a stretch now after 6 years with nothing happening.

Mark my words, Marvel doesn't want to give up potential profit from a major license just because one movie flopped (two if you count Elektra). If they were happy to reboot both Hulk and Punisher after less than 5 fives, surely Marvel has similar hopes for DD. They are probably hoping to buy the rights back from Fox to be made in house in the new Marvel Studios. If Fox doesn't plan on using the license, I hope they consider selling it back.

I don't know where I saw the interview or read it somewhere, but Afflack did say he'd never put the tights on again.

Kevin Smiths arc "guardian devil" was awesome, that would be great if it got reincarnated.

Archived