Hondo's Bar

Achievements

Da Cap'n

For those of you that aren't in the KNOW, Microsoft created a video game console that was... so, so (XBOX... you know PS2 was the shizznit). A few years later, when they wanted more money, they upgraded said console and named it XBOX 360. Ok, no big deal, but looks can be deceiving. It was Super-Genius Bill Gates' idea to include ACHIEVEMENTS! Well, I don't really know if that's true, but I like it. Anyways, ever since I got my XBOX 360 I've been wanting to play my other consoles less and less. And it's cause of the achievements! Those damn achievements! Honestly, I don't see the point of playing any games that I'm not working to gaining something. ACHIEVEMENTS, MAN!!! I'M ADDICTED!!! I've spoken to Nick and Jon (Spacecowboy) about this and they agree. What do y'all think? Discuss...

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, here we go...

PS3 guy, huh. Dude, if you only knew. No wait, I understand... you spent allllll that money on the WRONG system and you're just trying to justify it by hating on achievements. Just ask Nick (which has BOTH consoles) which he plays more and why. Poor DOJ... there's always one.

i'm pretty sure doj has both also, actually you can replace "pretty sure" with "positive"

but anyway back to the point, i've found achievements extremely addictive also, i've actually found myself playing average games just for the achievements. but they're not the be all and end all.

i could survive without 'em, but i'm glad i don't have to

Actually Panch(great thread bytheway), Doj had a 360 and for some reason still hates on it like a bitch. I was hooked like a mofo on achievements for a while too, and truly, all other console gaming fell by the wayside, but once you break 10K you feel better about things and just cruise along. I wanna see where bish is with this(if he agrees).

Nah, they're plenty-full with something else! ZIIING!!Well not quite so... I kinda had to imply Doj has at least a penis big enough to fit in two hands. BUT I DID IMPLY HE MASTURBATES AN AWFUL LOT!!!! I'm calling the field as mine for today.

Edited by Skeeter

That's the thing about achievements that's got me. I really don't have much time so if I play a game, I better be workin' to somethin'. I feel now that I'm wasting my time on any other console. At least if I play for achievements (whether I get one or not) I've got myself closer to completing the game. REALLY completing the game. I know it sounds crazy, but that's the way I feel.

I gotta say, i mocked panch's achievement-whoreness before too, but they add a dimension to the game, in that there's a small sense of accomplishment in the game encouraging you to do shit you might not otherwise (beat it on hard mode, etc). Its cool that its there to show off, even in just a jpeg format.

i clearly indulged this in my mad dash to 10k gamerscore, and quite obviously fluffed it with some known easier games, but then again, said system got me to play some shit i woudlntve otherwise - and enjoyed some even, like the TMNT one (thanks skeet). Now that my ridiculous task is done, im enjoying the ones in games i really dig, especially the really impressive ones. I felt it was cool to max out Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, but my proudest one so far is "Really good at this" for beating Bioshock on hard mode, and making a clean sweep along the way of the others, only needing gamefaqs for some of the trickier audio recording locations.

I really, really look up to anyone that manages the "Brass Balls" one - beat it on hard mode, but turn off vitachambers, meaning no coming back from death. Id be so impressed to even see that one, as i havent yet. Im debating going for the "Little Rocket Man" for Half Life 2 episode 2, since i didnt get some of the ones id wanted before (Space Cowboy, props again for "One free bullet" in ep 1!).

But that's the thing; id never have tried to cross the desert in Half-Life 2 without touching the sand if i hadntve been challenged (cant believe it somehow failed!), and its an awesome idea i expect to see unified/bit by every system by next gen. Sony's clearly digging the idea; the trophy system from their upcoming Home may not be in place, but there's already "Rewards" and "Medals" in Heavenly Sword and especially Uncharted.

Ill add this, too: i think the Wii's Virtual Console is wasted without such a system. Old-school gamers like myself would love reasons to return to the impossibly unforgiving 16, and especially 8-bit games (think about how rare it was to save your game back then...). How cool would it be now to see someone's tag with a "beat Contra without the Konami code" award?! Such a waste. I hope they get it going later on, but nintendo's always late to the online party.

I dont think they should be the reason you play a game, but they certainly add something to it that's way more than just showing off your high score.

PS Zombieachievement.jpg

The achievement that impresses me the most is the Zombie Genocider one in Dead Rising. Killing at least 53,594 zombies in one play is a tough one. Who am I kidding? It's fuckin' hard as shit. I read somewhere that it was one of the hardest for XBOX 360. I'm getting it by my birthday or my name isn't Panchy.

That's a short time frame for a man with at least 290 more viewings of 300 to go.

There's a lotta achievements on the Xbox Live Arcade games that're surprisingly hard for offering so little (those titles max at 200 or so, i wanna say) but theyre solid bragging rights. If any of you are down for co-op sometime, me & Bish have both talked about picking up Streets of Rage 2, and some of the achievements there look cool. Its funny how theyll get me think about re-buying games ive emulated elsewhere, between the co-op and idea of really mastering the game in a visible way...theyve capitalized on every gamer's sense of competition/bragging rights, and made it worse by often making them require you have x-box live gold to get them all. Its thinking like that, that has MS actually making money off this shit now.

So i estimate my gamerscore woulda jumped about a grand or so with the online updating last night. Still no internets at home, I just took my new box over to Alana's sister's to load up any updates I may need and finally added Panch(and Linds, but she had the good temperment not to bitch about it all day long. :misty:

Is it bad that I wasted 2 hours last night trying to get the "Survivalist" achievement in Hexic HD last night? Yes.

Is it bad that I made Half-Life: Episode 2 a living hell by carrying a gnome with me through the game? Yes.

Was it worth it for a couple achievements? Totally.

oh shit, i gotta go see yours - you got Little Rocket Man? fucking props. :misty:

Bish says Blue Dragon is an unforgiving bitch with achievements ("its like 10 points for maxing out your character!")

Yeah, it was fucking hell getting through various part *spoilers*

Like the part where the fucking helicopter is chasing you and you have to drive and avoid its shots...and keep Alyx from dying...AND CARRY THE FUCKING GNOME.

The gnome doesn't sit well in the car...and you literally have to get out of the car every 20 feet to pick him back up and either shoot him way ahead of you with the gravity gun, or pray that he'll just fucking stay in the god damn car.

Seriously...hell. I seriously started to lose my mind during parts of it...talking to the gnome, etc.

...good times...