Hondo's Bar

The Hobbit

Saw it in IMAX 3D last night and enjoyed it. I don't think it was the HFR version though, as my theater had a HFR 3D version listed separately. Either way it looked great. As for the content...

I guess Jackson released the "director's extended edition" as the theatrical edition. I'm sure those who read the books didn't mind. However, strictly as a moviegoer unfamiliar w/ the books, I felt the opening w/ Frodo & Bilbo seemed self-indulgent, and the Radagast sequence could've been shaved down.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I enjoyed it. I have read the LOTR Trilogy as well as The Silmarilion, but never read The Hobbit. I went without any expectation. I loved that it took me back to Middle Earth and reminded me how much I love LOTR (I've decided to watch the trilogy on New Years). Good movie and, of course, visually stunning.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw the second LOTR movie in theaters, and it was a grueling exercise in endurance for me. I think I saw the first one one DVD, and it was fine. I've always been very...shruggy about those movies. They're fine. I can appreciate the technical skill. I've never felt like revisiting them.

The Hobbit was fucking excellent though. Great pacing, beautiful cinematography and just enough light hearted elements to keep things fun. I never checked the time or thought "Jesus, is this movie over yet?". It seemed to fly by, and I was eager for more when it ended.

I saw it in the High Frame Rate digital 3D and absolutely loved the experience. It probably took me about 45 minutes for my brain to get used to it, but once it did I never wanted to look back. It's the most immersive movie experience I've ever had. There were times when I thought some cunt stood up in front of me, but it was just someone coming into frame. It really shines in the large action scenes, you can just drink in every detail.

I was trying to figure out why, at first, it immediately looked so fake to me, despite being a highly detailed picture, and I think I figured it out. It's because the only time I've ever seen live action moving like that is in a play. It looked like a play, and my brain knows damn well that people on a stage are just actors, and it's screaming it at me. It's almost like 24fps is a crutch for a poorer quality of film.

Anyway, once my head learned that I was indeed watching a movie and to stop bitching, it was amazing.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Went to see the last movie the other day. Here's the thing: it's a damn mess. I've never read the book, so I don't have that to go on, but as a fan of the first trilogy of movies, and even the first two movies in this series... its a damn mess.

So I thought the first film was great. I loved it and it had that magic that Fellowship had. And I also really enjoyed Desolation. It had a lot of memorable moments, and the scene with Bilbo and Smaug was amazing. After seeing Battle though, I 'd have to say that the second movie could have reached greatness if the first fifteen minutes of Battle were at the end of Desolation. It should have ended with Smaug falling from the sky onto the camera, cut to black and credits. But I see why they put it in the 3rd movie... so there would be a third movie. In fact the second movie should have ended with the battle of the five armies and call it a day, but that wasnt gonna happen. Anyway that's my first problem with it.

Then there was ALL of the fan service in this one. Tons of references to LOTR. Very forced as well, including an insanely stupid reference to Aragorn. Which doesn't make any fucking sense because this is 60 years prior, but he is mentioned as though he is already an established person. "In the wilds he is known as Strider, but you will have to find out his true name for yourself" is the quote I believe Daddy Elf makes to Orlando Elf. Unless Aragorn is some sort of hybrid or something with super longevity, and I missed something. Either way, it was a groan inducing moment.

Then there's the CG. I'm not one of those who go around trashing it like it's some affront to cinema or something, but GODDAMN there was alot of it, and alot of it was terrible. It's especially noticeable on closeups on certain characters. Wide shots look good, but getting in close to the action and how every orc is fake just makes me a bit sad.

It was still a fun movie, but I would have been happy with just two flicks that ended after the Smaug debacle. Billy Connolly shows up as a badass dwarf though so that's something to look forward to.

1. The battle if five armies was barely even covered in the book, Bilbo just goes and sits on a rock and waits for it to blow over.

2. Aragorn is a weird hybrid thing, but he's not mentioned in the book which is why Viggo said no to it, unlike a certain whore whose name rhymes with Shmorlando Schloom.

These movies make me sad.

I have seen all three Hobbit movies in 3-D in theaters and I must say the third film was not worth the price of a theater ticket much less the inflated 3D prices. I liked the first film enough, I really enjoyed the second film in 3D, and thought this third was just as unnecessary as most people had feared it would be. A group of five of us saw it on Sunday and none were impressed.

Axels covered a lot of my frustrations with the third film in his spoiler. The first five minutes or so should have been In the second film definitely. This film did not live up to the cliffhanger left in the second movie. I was confused too about the Aragorn reference Papa Legolas makes until a friend I was with who read the books long ago exlained what Baytor wrote--basically Aragorn's race of men lived in to their hundreds. Also, was anyone else laughing at unintentionally funny moments? Most of the dialogue, the whole Thorin's goldfever breaking scene, & Super Mario Legolas fighting Bowser Orc on the crumbling bridge all made us do some legit loling.

One thing we were wondering that maybe you could answer, Ryan--was the Alfred character meant to be a younger Wormtongue? He was being used as blatant yet unfunny comic relief, but we coudln't figure out why he was so prominently and repeatedly featured. Or only guess was that maybe Wormtongue was who he was meant to be. :/

Also, what exactly were the "official" five armies? We had some debate about that...

1. Dwarves

2. Mirkwood Elves

3. Orcs

4?. Second Orc army from the north

4? Goblin mercs the dwarves ran in to on the mountain

4/5? Laketown People (I thought those may have technically been part of the elf army)

4/5? Eagle army led by Radagast

Yeah that Alfred guy... I couldn't stand him. I thought maybe he was a young Wormtongue also, but he was just too damn goofy. If he was Wormtongue though it kinda taints Brad Dourif's awesome performance.

Also, Peter Jackson made my shit list with this new quote he put out:

"I don’t really like the Hollywood blockbuster bandwagon that exists right now,” says Jackson. “The industry and the advent of all the technology, has kind of lost its way. It’s become very franchise driven and superhero driven.”

MJSk5HY.jpg