Hondo's Bar

Dante V.S. Cloud V.S. Kratos

Da Cap'n

Dante V.S. Cloud V.S. Kratos  

13 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

silly people: Superman can't beat Goku, and not because Goku is stronger, but because Goku will inevitably trip over a rock that happens to be pure Kryptonite or simply go to the nearest 7/11 and buy one for a buck.

This is DC, after all, EVERYONE has Kryptonite.

silly people: Superman can't beat Goku, and not because Goku is stronger, but because Goku will inevitably trip over a rock that happens to be pure Kryptonite or simply go to the nearest 7/11 and buy one for a buck.

This is DC, after all, EVERYONE has Kryptonite.

Wasn't Superman retconned to be made out of kryptonite? I know Lois' kryptonite period sure keeps Supes at the forttress even more these days.

Edit-Of course, that'd be if his fortress wasn't made out of kryptonite..

Before I vote I'll like to know which Dante are we talking about? From Part 1, 2, 3 or 4.

P.S. Fuck Cloud

I'd say four. In 1 and 3 he still relied on the devil arms to have a devil trigger form, in 2 and 4 he had his own personal trigger. However, since we all like to pretend two never happened, I'd suggest four on principle.

*high fives Osidius*

sorry, but one's an immortal demon hunter who's practically a parody, and the other, to borrow a phrase, smolders with generic rage. theyre overpowered characters fun enough to get a few chapters of a game out of, no doubt, but that's it. Cloud's got metahuman abilities (clearly, strength/endurance) but the other 2....look, you could take Dante's head off and he'd be laughing about it, and Kratos lives in a world where you can basically climb back out of Hades by hitting buttons.

the only thing more boring than those concepts would be superman - a character who just hit 875 issues or so, and i think ive read like 10 good ones; you know you're on the money when perhaps your best story is you as a commie - and Goku, a character who, if he grew three of the most magnificent titties ever drawn, id still have to muster up the interest to read/see anything with him in it, that's how very fucking boring he is.

Cloud may be the subject of far, far too many dark yaoi fanfics but Crisis Core's reminding me that he's at the very least mildly interesting, which wins over these guys. wait, this thread was about fighting? its not in fight club, so im gonna assume it was about interest level. Go cloud! :birf2:

Cloud may be the subject of far, far too many dark yaoi fanfics but Crisis Core's reminding me that he's at the very least mildly interesting, which wins over these guys. wait, this thread was about fighting? its not in fight club, so im gonna assume it was about interest level. Go cloud! :birf2:

No. NO, Irish. Cloud is not mildly interesting, the world that surrounds him is. Because we follow him through it we feel as if we're attached to him, but we're not. We're attached to something else entirely.

I've had multiple fans of this game admit this to me.

Cloud pulled the whole "I'm dead, no I'm suddenly okay" bit as well. And he's one of the less interesting Final Fantasy heroes to me. I mean Cecil, Terra, I'd even go so far as to say Zidane. I mean he's better than Tidus and Squall but is that really saying anything? He's a bit of a badass but he's really not that great. Most of the abilities Osidius listed are things all the characters could do (including the doing Aeris and Tifa one according to deviant art)

I would support the smoldering with generic rage bit for Kratos (which I said as a joke, I mean he doesn't really fit here but far be it for me to question the judgment of King Panch.) except unlike generic smouldering characters (I.E. The Prince of Persia, The Punisher, and Marcus Fenix) he actually has a well put together storyline to back it up. Sure he's an angry motherfucker, but God of War was a revenge story that's expected.

As for Dante, he's a Capcom hero. The formula is simple Boyish face + Guns + Hostshot Attitude + Stylish Har = Every male hero Capcom's had in the last 15 years including Megaman!

No. NO, Irish. Cloud is not mildly interesting, the world that surrounds him is. Because we follow him through it we feel as if we're attached to him, but we're not. We're attached to something else entirely.

I've had multiple fans of this game admit this to me.

by Advent Chilrden, that's the case. by disc 2 of FF VII, i remember being really into him figuring out who he was, why he'd sorta hijacked Zack's identity etc, and again, from what im getting into right now with Crisis Core, i dig where its going. my only fear is i think im gonna end up liking/caring more about Zack than Cloud, which is fine by me anyway.

you act like he's a muted character; you dont have to like his personality, but he still has one, man.

Cloud pulled the whole "I'm dead, no I'm suddenly okay" bit as well. And he's one of the less interesting Final Fantasy heroes to me. I mean Cecil, Terra, I'd even go so far as to say Zidane. I mean he's better than Tidus and Squall but is that really saying anything? He's a bit of a badass but he's really not that great. Most of the abilities Osidius listed are things all the characters could do (including the doing Aeris and Tifa one according to deviant art)

again, im not riding the badass wave here; seeing him under Zack's wing as a scared kid with shit to prove is fleshing him out for me a bit more than starting off with the "eh, what do i care?" agent for Avalanche at FF VII's beginning. Los tells me he thinks could's apathetic attitude was formed later in the game as his identity fell apart, but i remember just the demo of VII had me thinking it was interesting he was so cocky cause if you recall, at the time, that wasnt the norm for a lead FF character; closest id have to that was Edgar from VI, whom i loved dearly.

I would support the smoldering with generic rage bit for Kratos (which I said as a joke, I mean he doesn't really fit here but far be it for me to question the judgment of King Panch.) except unlike generic smouldering characters (I.E. The Prince of Persia, The Punisher, and Marcus Fenix) he actually has a well put together storyline to back it up. Sure he's an angry motherfucker, but God of War was a revenge story that's expected.

you might be right, i honestly didnt finish part 1. but the plot, though fun and more than id expected, was still there to serve the badassery; i found it hard to sympathize with kratos by the time he falls for Zeus "put all your godhood into this sword man, it'll git ya drunk!" or whatever bit in part 2's intro.

and...megaman? low blow.

by Advent Chilrden, that's the case. by disc 2 of FF VII, i remember being really into him figuring out who he was, why he'd sorta hijacked Zack's identity etc, and again, from what im getting into right now with Crisis Core, i dig where its going. my only fear is i think im gonna end up liking/caring more about Zack than Cloud, which is fine by me anyway.

you act like he's a muted character; you dont have to like his personality, but he still has one, man.

again, im not riding the badass wave here; seeing him under Zack's wing as a scared kid with shit to prove is fleshing him out for me a bit more than starting off with the "eh, what do i care?" agent for Avalanche at FF VII's beginning. Los tells me he thinks could's apathetic attitude was formed later in the game as his identity fell apart, but i remember just the demo of VII had me thinking it was interesting he was so cocky cause if you recall, at the time, that wasnt the norm for a lead FF character; closest id have to that was Edgar from VI, whom i loved dearly.

Um well Locke, Edgar, and Sabin fit the cocky role pretty well and nobody was more apathetic than Shadow. Kain from 4 was a bit of a stoic badass as well. And to be fair at that point there had only been 3 proper leads (Cecil, Bartz, and Terra) I refuse to include what's his name from Final Fantasy 2 as he had about as much personality as a block of wood.

you might be right, i honestly didnt finish part 1. but the plot, though fun and more than id expected, was still there to serve the badassery; i found it hard to sympathize with kratos by the time he falls for Zeus "put all your godhood into this sword man, it'll git ya drunk!" or whatever bit in part 2's intro.

Yeah that was sloppy writing on Jaffe's part. God of War 2 was a bit weak at parts mostly because Jaffe didn't head that one up like he did the first and it just came across as a bit schizophrenic. But I mean he was a well fleshed out character who actually had a reason to be mad and even at the beginning of God of War 2 you understood where he was coming from even if he did end up doing something stupid.

and...megaman? low blow.

Don't you pretend Megaman X and Zero didn't happen.

There really isn't anything cool about Dante. He is the typical trenchcoat wearing, duel pistol, I am a demon characters. The games were extremly shallow (I love in part 2 you dont even need to aim anymore).

If you say that you were stuck with Cloud though a interesting story/world, you are lying to yourself. Cloud looks plain compared to Kratos and Dante but he indeed has character. I personally loved Cloud and if I had the option to switch him out I would never do so because in my heart he is that bad ass.

In a fight he has more abilites then Dante and Kratos put together. As a character he is just as bad ass as the two. Also if we want ot throw in Advent Children Cloud into this, the kid has like 9 swords which is auto win for me. I could only think of a handful of other characters that could do that.

I don't really think that Cloud belongs on this poll. I mean, I can see an objective comparison being drawn between Kratos and Dante. They come from nearly identical games. (Jaffe "borrowed" more than a few elements from DMC when making the first GOW. Not to insinuate that the first DMC was a trailblazer in any real sense, I mean it actually started out as a Resident Evil spinoff, and ended up borrowing heavily from one of capcom's earlier works on the PS2, Onimusha) Throw Cloud into the mix and now we are trying to compare characters from VASTLY different types of games. If DMC was a 100+ hour RPG you can be sure that, by the end, Dante would have been fleshed out more as a character and amassed an arsenal of skills that would have rivaled Cloud's, it's just the nature of that kind of game.

It's like asking who's a better athlete?, Tiger Woods or Michael Jordan. They play different games.

(Besides, Dante would run up and whoop on Cloud before his AT gauge even filled)

Ummmm F you guys but....Clouds the winner.

Damn straight...

It's the point of view like that, that is killing the gaming industry. To hell with prettier graphics, how on earth does that make gameplay any better?. If you haven't played the original it is your loss. To be honest there is very little on the market currently that comes even close to a "new and exciting option".

Damn straight...

• 1 month later...
It's the point of view like that, that is killing the gaming industry. To hell with prettier graphics, how on earth does that make gameplay any better?. If you haven't played the original it is your loss. To be honest there is very little on the market currently that comes even close to a "new and exciting option".

Man... If this man posted more he'd rightfully sweep MVP.

Archived