Hondo's Bar

Genres

The NZA

Ok, for those of us who like music of almost all genres, i thought we'd try this: Name your favorite artists/groups from each genre, maybe even song/alubm that really stood out for ya. Here goes:

Techno, House, etc: I like experimental stuff, Orbital, Underworld, Fluke, etc, tho Spiffy really got me into Chicane a while back. Oh, Fatboy Slim, too.

Jazz: I really wish i knew more about this area, It's quickly becomin a favorite over the last few genres.  For now, ill give the standard answer of Miles Davis till i learn more.  As for jazz-esque vocalist, Sinatra alla way.  That man was cool.

Rock: Kid Rock, Rage against the Machine, Aerosmith, some Stone Temple Pilots, others i cant think of.  Again, i really liked the first album by VAST.

Industrial: nine inch nails, some KMFDM, some Ministry.  Stabbing Westward aint bad but sounds to me like "nine inch nails lite".

Rap: Old NY stuff.  Pete Rock & CL Smooth, Eric B & Rakim.  Tribe Called Quest, early Wu-Tang (especially Method Man), Notorious B.I.G. etc.

Country: Old honkytonk, not current shit.  Johnny Cash, Marty Robbins, Hank Williams Jr.  Of current stuff, tho, George Strait, Alan Jackson, few others.

Classic Rock: The Doors, Zeppelin, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Tom Petty, Doobie Brothers, numerous others i sadly cant recall right now (Bob Seger, Steppenwolf, as backups, to name a few).

Alternative: Bjork, Garbage, Cake, Soundgarden...again, the names arent comin to me.

Celtic: Eh..some Enya/Enigma, and i guess the Pogues count.  I forget who sings "The Men behind the wire", cool Irish song.

Pop: Miceal Jackson.  Not to mention Sting & The Police, and in the 80's i really loved Geneis & Phil Collins, but then 97.3 Coast station played him to death for a while.

More to come, when i get back to my room & see my mp3s and CD's.

Techno - Chemical Brothers, Orbital, Fatboy slim, Crystal Method, stuff like that.  No repetative cookie cutter power 96 rave stuff!

Rock -  I'll go ahead an split this into a bunch of genres since tehre's a lto to cover, but the big three are Tool, Nine inch Nails and Smashing Pumpkins

Grunge - Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Alice and Chains, Nirvana

Industrial - Nine Inch Nails, Ministry, Skinny Puppy, KMFDM

Metal - Metallica, Megadeth, Iron Maiden, Pantera

Alternative - radiohead, Finger 11, Cake, Josh Joplin group, Weezer come to mind now

Classic rock - Pink Floyd, Led Zepplin, Beatles, Doors

Rap - Most of the guys from NWA, Wutang, and Bone Thugs and Harmony

Those are just what come to mind now, guess I'll name albums in each catagory later

Techno: Happy Hardcore, Trance, ATB, Chemical Brothers, Fatboy Slim, i also dig techno remixes... those are the best...

Rock: Rage, Metallica, Black Sabbath (or would they go under classic rock?) , Hoobastank, Kittie, Deftones (i love chino moreno)

Grunge: Nirvana, Soundgarden, Dinasor Jr.

Industrial:  NIN, Ministry kicks ass (my co-worker used to date the lead singer from Ministry and toured with them..).. can't think of many more at the moment

Metal: Metallica, Pantera, Megadeth , not a huge metal fan.. own of my ex really dug queenersache.. i dig some of their songs..

Alternative: Garbage, Cake, Radiohead, Lee Press oN Nails, Smashing Pumpkins, Weezer (sweaters is my FAVE song..), Everclear (the earlier stuff), Bjork, Sublime,Jimmy Eat World, Mazzy Star, Hole, the Raincoats, Veruca Salt, and many many more...

Classic Rock: Queen, Led Zeppelin (of course), Doors, Beatles, Aerosmith, Pink Floyd, ACDC(or would they go under rock?), Stones,Big Brother and the Holding Company, Jimi Hendrix Experience, and many more..

Jazz: Coltraine,Benny Goodman, Ella Fitzgerald, Billie Holiday, Nat King Cole, and many others..

Rap: Tu Pac, ODB (Old Dirty Basstard,), Fugees (or are they  more reggae?), Nelly, Run DMC,

Country: oh geez, all i can say is i dig the old stuff, patsy cline, johnny cash...

Celtic: Enya/Enigma

Pop: Janet Jackson, Shakira, Madonna (i know that will piss a few of you off),

New Wave: B-52'S, Devo, Blondie, A-Ha (take on me.. come on now..)

Techno: not my thing. Does Robert Miles count? How about Mike Oldfield?

Rock: Aerosmith, ACDC, Queen,

Classic Rock: Led Zep, Pink Floyd, The Stones ( I could go forever on this category...)

Alternative: (I've never been sure what fits in this category.) I like The Offspring, Manson and NIN.

Metal: Metallica, Motley Crue, Iron Maiden (BTW, can anyone help me find Wicker Man by Maiden on mp3?)

Jazz: Ellington, Kenny G (OUCH Ahhh! stop I give up!!! Jeez, Kevin, it was just a joke. No need to use your Tae Kwon Do on me... AAHHHHHH shit, stop, that was another joke, dammit!)

Rap: Slick Rick, Method Man, Bone Thugs

Country: Alan Jackson (anyone hear his new stuff?) Johnny Cash, Dolly Parton

Celtic: Celtic?, Nick, you jackass! You forgot to put a blues section in your post, but you have celtic? Anyway... Ry Cooder, The Corrs

Blues: Muddy Waters, B B King, Jonny Lang

Pop: Forget it... I aint goin Mainstream.

Motely Crue? Iron Maiden? Bone Thugs?? It aint Kee's kung-fu ya oughta be afraid of, wish you were in hittin distance :D

And pop is alright, ya dont like Michael Jackson? You suck cock. Fine, fine, to each their own, blah blah.

Ya do have me on Blues tho, that was a sad omission :D

So i vote for:

-Muddy Waters, Bo Didley, Charles Musselwhite, and if were countin Texas blues, Stevie Ray Vaughn.  

Any other good genres i left out?  :wary:

What's wrong with Bone Thugs?  And if you actually heard some good Iron Maiden, you'd be blown away.  Only thing that bothers me about them is that the sing about whate every other metal band sings about.  Mythology, epic wars, demons etc etc etc.  I've just been getting into more metal recently and it's a lot better than people give it credit for, it's not all Poison and Winger with big hair and power ballads.

Well, in the strip, Calvin likes to dance to superfast classical music.

Tchaikovsky - mostly just for the 1812 Overture, but Nutcracker's cool too.

Beethoven - Cuz he's *Beethoven* dude

Handel - Watermusic among others. Those horns just make me tingle (does that seem sexual? hmm It might be at that)

I just hated how Bone Thugs was given so much credit for their "style"; it was shit Eazy-E recycled with several other failed bands long before, and for some reason, it took with those talentless hacks and their theme at the time (yeah, im biased, in culter ridge it got played like it was Luke) "Thuggish Ruggsh Bone", which still stands as one of the top 3 most overrated, crappiest rap songs of all time.

Hey, youre welcome to like em if ya can understand their early shit, just please dont play em in my vicinity.  Now NWA, ya had somethin there.  I liked em all, even MC Ren.  Shame things went the way they did, but it's too damn funny nowadays to hear Dre talk about the evils of weed in "Express yourself", years before "The Chronic" would be relased, an tho it was a badass album, it had a fuckin weed leaf on its label.  The man came off to me as conflicted, but it was funny anyway.

Well the famous guys are famous for a reason.

The AV dept at FIu will have most of the stuff. Go for Bach, Beethoven and Handel. Tchaichovsky (Calvin liked him cuz he used cannons in the 1812 overture.) Mozart is cool too. The marriage of Figaro and his Requiem are good starting points. Palestrina is the oldest composer I know of and I like him even if he is a little thin on orchestration.

Stay away from Chopin. That fucker's more boring than James Joyce. (Joyce and Chopin are, in their respective fields, the exceptions that prove the rule of the famous guys being famous for a reason)

Naturally these selections reflect my personal tastes. ANyone else with more suggestions on how the Cowboy can get more cultured, feel free to tell him. He needs better ways to pick up chicks than "Ever slept with a horse on a moonlit night?"

Thanks for the names.  And hey, i dont often tel a gal bout the family jewels on the first date. :D

Even if i did use that phallic line, it'd be better than the ol' Jumbie one.

:wasabi: "Are those moon pants? 'Cause that ass is outta this world!"

It's sad, really.

• 4 years later...

Techno: Chemical brothers, Orb/Orbital, Aphex Twin, Prodigy, Afx, Saskrotch, Hellfish, Rotterdam Terror Corps, Mauro Picotto, Paul Oakenfold

Jazz: Louis armstrong, John Coltraine, Dave Brubeck

Rock: Smashing Pumpkins, The Stone Roses, Bruce Springsteen, Counting Crows, The Eels, Cake, Neil Young, Kasabian, Oasis, Chris rea, Elliot Smith

Grunge: Green Jelly, Stone temple pilots, Janes Addiction, Alice In Chains, Green River, Pearl Jam, Scream, Killing Joke

Industrial: Mortiis, Rammstein, Skinny Puppy, NiN, Wumpscut, Ministry, Hocico, Dulce Liquido, Danzig

Metal: Megadeth, Children Of Bodom, In Flames, Opeth, Finntroll, Pantera, Lamb Of God, Exodus, Cruachan, Stratovarius, Blind Guardin, Sepultura, XIV Dark Centuries, Samael, Dimmu Borgir, Arch Enemy, Necrophagist, Yngwie Malmsteen, Celtic Frost

Alternative: Muse, Kyuss, Queens of the stone age, Mondo Generator, Primal Scream, The Smiths, Joy Divison, New Order, Blur, Tool, A Perfect Circle, Deftones, The Arcade Fire:love:, Placebo, The Cure, The Strokes, The White Stripes (older stuff), Failure, God is an astronaut, explosions in the sky, boards of canada, death from above 1979, bright eyes, the strokes, ryan adams (not brian), rage against the machine, radiohead, coldplay, bloc party, the doves, primal scream (i could REALLY go on)

Classic Rock: Floyd, Beatles, Stones, Doors, Queen, Drix, Sabbath, Motorhead, Ten Years After, Steppenwolf, ZZ Top (shut up)

Rap: Jedi Mind Tricks, Ras Kass, Mr Lif, Rza, Immortal Technique, GZA, Aesop Rock, Nas, N E R D, Lil john (hahahahha, not really)

Celtic: Enya, Deep Forest, Enigma, Gregorian Masters

Pop: Michael Jackson, ABC, OMD, Shakira

Classical: Holst, Stravinsky, Berlioz, Mussorgsky, Mozart, Bach, Dvorak, Tchaikovsky, Strauss

• 1 year later...

Whooo boy this thread is old as fuck. These are some more specific genres I'm especially into.

Stoner rock! Kyuss, Sleep, Dead Meadow. Take your time when you play those riffs, and don't forget the wah pedal!

Modern Japanese Psych! Holy shit, it's like a fucking amazing new wave of this right now. Boris is one of my favorite bands of all time, and Ghost and Acid Mother's Temple are not far behind. Goddammit, they ARE better at everything!

Tell me that lead guitar tone doesn't split your fucking brain in two!

Industrial... like, fucking INDUSTRIAL. I'm still a big NIN fan and I think The Slip is the most legit, awesome thing he's put out in a while, but the very core of industrial is shit like Einsterzen Naubauten (sp?) Throbbing Gristle, and Test Dept. Test Dept. has this amazing album that's a split with a striker coal miner's choir, so you hear a hymn, a speech about workers rights, and them the most intense shit in the universe!

Classic Rock: Led Zeppelin - led zeppelin I, II and physical graffiti , Jimi Hendrix - are you experienced? and electric ladyland, The Doors - the doors and l.a. woman

Metal: Black Sabbath - paranoid and sabotage, Metallica - ride the lightning and master of puppets, Down - nola and down II

Blues: Muddy Waters - feel like goin', Rory Gallagher - irish tour and live in europe, Fleetwood Mac - pious bird of good omen and mr. wonderful

Classical: Beethoven - 9th symphony and 5th symphony, Orff - carmina burana, Satie - gnossiennes and gymnopédies

Singer Songwriters: Tom Waits - alice, blood money and real gone, Bob Dylan - the freewheelin' and highway 61 revisited, Bruce Springsteen - nebraska and darkness on the edge of town

Rock: Radiohead - kid a and amnesiac, The Dandy Warhols - come down and thirteen tales from urban bohemia, Nick Cave And The Bad Seeds - murder ballads

Grunge: Pearl Jam - riot act and yield, Nirvana - unplugged and in utero, Soundgarden badmotorfinger

Electronic: Sigur Ros - (), Moby - play, Massive Attack - mezzanine

Country: Johnny Cash - unchained and when the man comes around

Rap: Dr. Dre - 2001, A Tribe Called Quest - the songs nick had in his playlist

Archived