Hondo's Bar

Batman: The Dark Knight

This was branched off of the Meet up for the Miami folk for The Dark Knight returns. In case any of you get confused like I almost did.

I had watched the trailer that was posted there, and started this discussion up:

heh, thank bish for that find.

"WHERE IS HE?"

"I dont know!"

"...dammit!"

I had to go immediately post it on myspace to feel cool. I cannot wait until CJ gets home so I can show it to him!!! It made me giggle all the way through!!

EDIT

I was rewatching the original trailer just now (because I'M SO SUUUUUPA EXCITED!) and someone posted a really insightful comment in regards to Harvey's line "You either die a hero, or you live along enough to see yourself become the villain"

Well I think what he meant was that heath ledger died a hero(a great actor with potential) but he DID NOT live long enough to see himself become the villain(he'll never truly see how amazing his acting was as the villain and how people react to it)

What do you guys think? Man, this is Heath's best role of all time. He's going down in movie history for this role.

Edited by MetalHeart
to add shings!

I had to go immediately post it on myspace to feel cool. I cannot wait until CJ gets home so I can show it to him!!! It made me giggle all the way through!!

EDIT

I was rewatching the original trailer just now (because I'M SO SUUUUUPA EXCITED!) and someone posted a really insightful comment in regards to Harvey's line "You either die a hero, or you live along enough to see yourself become the villain"

What do you guys think? Man, this is Heath's best role of all time. He's going down in movie history for this role.

Idunno man... I smell trouble a mile off the day we start telling kids that dying of a drug overdose under any circumstances is a heroic death.

no no, you didnt, we needs to talk about this movie! just wanted it where itd best be seen.

if half of what the reviews are saying - "godfather II of comic films", comparisons to clockwork orange, Ledger deserving an oscar nom etc are true, this one's gonna be like 10 pages.

Stiiiiiiiill. I see we're talking po-tay-toes/ Po-tah-toes here but 'Dying a hero' to me says, saving white kids from a burning building or, busting a nut in a cheerleader at the age of 47. Intentional or not, prescription or not, Captain America dies of a drug overdose noone's going to say he died a hero. Sure he was Heroic, but his death was not glamorous in the slightest.

Edit-Dude, where's my conversation?

Edited by Skeeter

Okay, we may infact be talking about minerals & vegetables here.

I took from your statement that Harvey's 'Die a hero...' resonated with Ledger's own existence, which I contend is not infact the case ma'am. Ledger was a good actor sure, but calling him a hero when we have someone here who is the direst enemy of Fire is a slight slap in the face. But a sweetsweet slap in the face, like when you ask the hooker to dook on your chest.

I think we both translated it differently, lol.

Someone on youtube had commented this:

"Well I think what he meant was that heath ledger died a hero(a great actor with potential) but he DID NOT live long enough to see himself become the villain(he'll never truly see how amazing his acting was as the villain and how people react to it)"

I don't see him being called a Hero in the literal sense, but as a person who died before their time and "a great actor with potential", and did not live to see himself become the villain in what looks to be is going to be his greatest role.

It sounds poetic to me, but I tend to read too far into things.

Edited by MetalHeart
I'm baby rambles

I have just witnessed THE DARK KNIGHT!

Must give mad props to Aarty for an epic hookup!

I am not able to process all the excellence I viewed tonight. I will just give a few observations and opinions.

The movie's scale is epic and sweeping. The film puts the pieces in place and as the Joker says "HERE WE GO!"

Heath Ledger's Joker is a revelation! You are riveted everytime his sadistic character is on screen. You truly feel like he is capable of anything.

But I do not want to sell any of the other actor's short. Christian Bale continues to be the best Batman and Bruce Wayne, this character has ever known. They all give fine performances. Eckhart's Harvey Dent gives the multi-dimensionality and complexity that he deserves. Maggie Gylennhal, in my humble opinion, is vast improvement over Katy Holmes, she gives her an emotional depth and maturity. Gary Oldman, Michael Caine, Morgan Freeman, and even Eric Roberts? are excellent.

For all the people that griped about Nolan not knowing how to direct action, he has blown that opinion to smithereens! This Batman is a lean mean fighting machine.

This movie lives up to the hype! This movie keeps raising the ante is ways you wouldn't imagine. The third act of this movie, is a white-knuckle pulse-pounding thrill ride!

We are truly living in the Golden Age Comic Book Movies. Nolan gives The Dark Knight such gravity and weight. He treats these characters with a reverence and respect I truly wish all filmmakers would. The comparisons to other great films like Empire Strikes Back, Heat and The Untouchables is valid. I believe I have seen the best Comic Book movie yet. Could I be biased as life long Batman fanatic? sure. But there no debating the quality and skill that was on display. I am truly grateful that my favorite character is in these talented filmmaker's hands.

My fellow Hondonians, please organize your viewing parties as fast you can. if you want to see a great film, not just a great comic book movie, Go see The Dark Knight.

Edited by Dark Kaniggit

Skeeter, you can read what DK wrote...he didn't give anything away...

I totally mirror his thoughts...well reviewed dahling!

I thought that was pretty spoiler free. I would hate to spoil any of the fun for my friends. Thank you for the compliment Aarty :2T: !

Edited by Dark Kaniggit