Hondo's Bar

Movie & TV Blargh

If you break his legs he'll just be in a remake of Rear Window...

I'll admit to owning City of Angels because it's really not that bad, nowhere near as good as the first one and a pretty big rehash in many respects but I still liked it well enough. I also remember liking Stairway to Heaven back in the day but my opinion has probably changed if I were to watch it again.

Parts 3 and 4 and every comic not written by James O'Barr were shit.

• Upvote 1

+1 for recognizing the awesome of J. O'Barr.

When I picked it up I expected some goth bullshit, and I freely admit that it helped that I'd already read all the bastardizations that Image and all those did over the years (Lady Death/The Crow was a particularly awful torrent of shit, but then again the only thing involving Lady Death that was even semi-readable was Evil Ernie and even that was criminally retarded*), but I ended up loving the shit out of it. I was surprised and very pleased and totally got the hype.

*It's worth noting that when I drew your Hondo's Bar X-TREME! character I based it primarily off of Evil Ernie but it was hard to do without blatantly ripping off but my design idea was pretty much "Evil Ernie with a Venom tongue"

Holy Shit! :blink:

Okay, Jackie Chan, I take back everything bad I have ever said about you. IF you want to spend the rest of your career phoning it in with Chris Tucker/Owen Wilson/Some Random Kids then go right on ahead. You've earned it you magnificent bastard.

Schwarzennegar, Stallone, Willis, Chuck Norris, Van Damme, Seagal, Russell, not even Jet Li, Donnie Yen, or Bruce Lee himself had the balls you have. You and Tony Jaa (and the rest of those crazy Tais) are in intensive care a league of your own.

Taken...too?

Besson told us that Colombiana director Olivier Megaton has been using his time in Los Angeles to scout locations for the sequel to Taken, which will shoot there for a little bit, and the film itself will start production in October. He said that everyone is back for the sequel including Famke Janssen, who had a small role as Liam Neeson's ex-wife in the first movie.

Read more: Exclusive: Taken Sequel to Film in October - ComingSoon.net http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movie...#ixzz1W1uFboFS

2z6ze5l.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

news for joel

Working Title's live-action film adaptation of Cameron Mackintosh's hit stage musical LES MISERABLES by Boublil and Schonberg will directed by Tom Hooper (The King’s Speech) and written by William Nicholson. Universal Pictures are releasing the film worldwide.

The film is produced by Working Title’s Tim Bevan and Eric Fellner with Cameron Mackintosh and Debra Hayward. Liza Chasin is the executive producer.

The stage version of LES MISERABLES holds the record as the longest running musical in the world. To date is has been seen by nearly 60 million people in 42 countries and 21 languages.

Last year, it celebrated it’s 25th anniversary.

Cameron Mackintosh commented, “Even though I have dreamt about making the film of LES MISERABLES for over 25 years, I could never have imagined that we would end up with the dream director Tom Hooper and the dream cast of Hugh Jackman and Russell Crowe. Not only were they born to play these roles vocally but they thrillingly inhabit this great score. Producing this film with Eric Fellner, Working Title and Universal Pictures is indeed a dream come true and I can’t want to hear the people sing at my local cineplex.”

US release date is set for December 7, 2012.

Director Rian Johnson Tries, Fails to Bury the Hatchet with Jason Reitman in Epic Twitter Tale

reitman_johnson-550x276.jpg

So Jason and I decide to bury the hatchet. We met at this Mexican joint Ernie’s up in the valley. Very cordial. He ordered a margarita. And it’s early but I figure what the hell, so I get a margarita too. So whatever, we get a pitcher. And we’re talking. And the pitchers pile up, and at some point it’s now a bottle of tequila and a basket of limes. I don’t think we ate. We might have. So we stumble shit-faced onto Lankershim, and there’s this used car lot across the street. And we both spot this 78 Impala. Reitman starts saying “THAT’s a car.” and I say it back. And for like 10 minutes that’s all we say to each other, pointing at it. So half an hour later we own the car and we’re barreling down the 101 listening to K-EARTH. I can’t trace our line of logic but it made sense at the time to go to Juarez. We got more tequila and some beef jerky and drove for 2 days.

Hindsight is 20/20, but I should have known something was rotten when we got to Juarez. Cause we go straight to this flophouse and the owner seems to know Reitman, and it turns out he keeps a room there, which seems shady. Bare room with just a dirty mattress, some bottles of mescal and a handgun. No windows. I’m not firing on all cylinders at this point. I say should we do a hotel but Jason says this is where he wrote Up In The Air so I figure it’s alright. We drink another bottle and talk about Billy Wilder and smoke something that looked like a blender, and I think I passed out at some point cause when I come to it’s night and Reitman’s literally dragging down the stairs bellowing “it’s time to party.’”

I say I gotta eat and he gets really serious and tells me a long anecdote about Clooney I can’t remember, but we’re both crying by the end. We end up drinking with a weird crowd in a disused theater lobby and there’s a guy there who isn’t wearing shoes and I can’t tell if it’s the Mexican Thomas Jane or really just Thomas Jane. He keeps asking if I wanna share a hooker and I can’t tell if he’s joking, and at some point I realize Reitman is nowhere to be found.

Just before sunrise I found Jason in a half shattered bathtub in a park outside of town. He was eating pork rinds and had obviously been crying and had carved what looked like a Golden Globe out of soap. He was in a dark place. I wasn’t much to look at either, going on four days without sleep or unfried food. I started to regret this whole feud thing and I said so. I think I might have made a Vietnam analogy, which in retrospect I’m not proud of. That’s when things got intense. Jason got this icy gaze, and I thought I was in for another Clooney story but instead he said this:

“I didn’t come to Mexico to make a friend, Johnson. I came to end a feud. For keeps.”

The sun was rising fiery red, and somehow now though we could barely stand up we were fighting. Not warriors. Not duelists. This was a brawl. Sweat and blood, fists and fury, we beat each other senseless in the street as the border town awoke around us. Some cheered. Some cried. Some placed bets. Most just watched, with blood in their eyes. I didn’t see him pick up the iron pipe, but I saw him bring it down, and heard my clavicle snap before I felt it. Then it was over. I crawled away from the lumbering bearded auteur bastard that bore down on me. Through the dirt. through the mud. Into a cantina. I flopped over. I was finished. He stepped through the door, pipe in hand. Saying if I begged for mercy he’d make it quick. I tried to come up with a contemptuous zinger about a hamburger phone or something but he was already raising his pipe for the death blow. Mercifully, my mind flitted away into darkness. I heard a distant scream that might have been my own, and passed out.

I woke up covered in blood that was not my own. The cantina was still, and lacquered from floor to ceiling with blood. But I was alive. And Reitman was nowhere to be seen. In the corner sat a beefy Mexican child with a simian brow. He held a bloody machete on his lap and regarded me stonily. The child had a bad lisp and my Spanish was not great but as far as I could translate he said I now owed him a “life debt.” I spent the rest of the day drinking beer in a parking lot and binding my wounds with cardboard and pilfered duct tape. I felt no triumph. On the bus home I wrote a letter to Ivan Reitman on the back of a discarded off-brand cereal box. He deserved to hear the truth from me. I had lost so much blood that the letter devolved into rambling about how much I loved Ghostbusters, and then into notes for a sequel. I got home and slept for 5 days. On awakening I found 2 things: my notes for the Ghostbusters sequel were shit (“ghost dancing – western?”) And a package from CAA. Inside was a letter and a DVD. The letter was from Jason. “Hey dude – great hanging this weekend. Rest up. -J” The DVD: a signed copy of Juno.

I put it on and recognized one of the kids in the track team as the machete child from the cantina. Bastard. Insult to injury: I had forgotten how terrific Juno was. And so our feud continues. With a vengeance. Thanks for reading, sorry bout the verbosity, won’t make a habit out of it.