Hondo's Bar

Movie & TV Blargh

• 2 weeks later...

The Hunger Games has made The Giver trilogy highly lucrative as a film property. I hope all my favorite fucked up dystopian kids books get adapted now.

Jeff Bridges as The Giver? Hmm? Maybe. Maybe. And I never read Gathering Blue or The Messenger. The Giver just ended so perfectly I never had the urge to read further. If adapted properly, it very well could be one of the greatest films ever. We teach it in 7th Grade in our school district. As of now, the only thing we have to show students after we read the book is Pleasantville.

Just quoting the whole
Topless Robot blurb
, because I couldn't have put it any better.

BREAKING: Extremely Stupid People to Not Make Evil Dead 4

evildead2bdcap2.jpeg

You may have heard wind of this story -- I'm not going to call it news -- but it is entertaining enough that it's worth mentioning. Apparently fed up with director Sam Raimi's refusal to make
Evil Dead 4
, a small production company named Award Pictures announced they were making their own. The problem: Award Pictures doesn't have the rights to the
Evil Dead
franchise, Sam Raimi does. So why does Award think it can make
ED4
?
From the
Hollywood Reporter
:

The company is using Raimi's comment in a 2000 book that he would never do a sequel as proof that the "Evil Dead" trademark was abandoned. The company now says it is the primary trademark holder of the film title.

The book is
The Evil Dead Companion
and the line in questions reads: ""Ha," said Rob and Sam. "We're never going to do a sequel."

This is the stupidest fucking thing I've heard of in quite some time. I don't think you need to be a big Hollywood contract lawyer to know that Award's claim is patently absurd. Just because Raimi refuses to make a sequel doesn't mean he's abandoned the trademark, as that would ignore prequels, remakes, home video releases, TV shows, everything else. That's like Sam Raimi saying "I don't like burnt sienna" and Award assuming that means they can have Raimi's entire box of crayons.

Second of all,
Raimi is making a fucking Evil Dead remake now
. Like, right this fucking moment. HE OBVIOUSLY HAS NOT ABANDONED THE FRANCHISE, YOU FUCKING IMBECILES. To use my previous metaphor, SAM RAIMI IS CURRENTLY USING THE OTHER CRAYONS. YOU CANNOT FUCKING HAVE HIS FUCKING BOX OF CRAYONS NO MATTER HOW HE FEELS ABOUT BURNT SIENNA. And even if Raimi
had
given them up, why would that mean Award has them? Surely there are plenty of people/companies in line for the rights ahead of award. THE CRAYONS ARE STILL IN RAIMI'S HOUSE, YOU MORONS. EVEN IF HE DOESN'T WANT THEM, THEY'RE NOT YOURS.

So yeah, this isn't really news. Unless, of course, "REALLY FUCKING STUPID PEOPLE SOMETIMES WORK IN HOLLYWOOD" is a new headline for you. In which case you probably already work at Award Pictures, so there you go. Thanks to Capsulesn'Coffee for the tip.

The Hunger Games has made The Giver trilogy highly lucrative as a film property. I hope all my favorite fucked up dystopian kids books get adapted now.

The Giver was a trilogy?! Is, I mean. I loved the first book when it was required reading in grade school.

Also, since we're talking about trilogies, anyone else starting to get a little excited about Ender's Game? I KNOW the author is a giant homophobe POS. Still, the book is absolutely in my top 5 favorite books of all time. Probably top 3 honestly.

The Giver was a trilogy?! Is, I mean. I loved the first book when it was required reading in grade school.

Also, since we're talking about trilogies, anyone else starting to get a little excited about Ender's Game? I KNOW the author is a giant homophobe POS. Still, the book is absolutely in my top 5 favorite books of all time. Probably top 3 honestly.

Ender's Game is also on my top 5 list of favorite books. I've never read any of the sequels...yet. Not to brag, but I got the Speaker of the Dead from my Hondo's Secret Santa. :wink:

Yeah, and technically kinda sorta there's a Giver trilogy. Lois Lowry wrote a book that wasn't a direct sequel to The Giver w/ a female protagonist set in the "same world" as Jonas' called Gathering Blue. Then she published a third book in 2004 called The Messengerwhich "united" the two protagonists in order to "complete The Giver Trilogy." It all sounded like an afterthought, so I never bothered with the other two books.

And apparently she's putting out a fourth book called The Son. I can only guess it's about Jonas' kid. Nothing like cashing in on the current young adult craze for series of books.

Yeah, and technically kinda sorta there's a Giver trilogy. Lois Lowry wrote a book that wasn't a direct sequel to The Giver w/ a female protagonist set in the "same world" as Jonas' called Gathering Blue. Then she published a third book in 2004 called The Messengerwhich "united" the two protagonists in order to "complete The Giver Trilogy." It all sounded like an afterthought, so I never bothered with the other two books.

It worked for Blazing Saddles Cormac McCarthy.

• 3 weeks later...
DKNG-Paramount-100.jpg<p><br>I did okay guessing these. Still I'm sure I'm missing out on some real obvious ones.

1980 - Airplane!<br>1986 - Top Gun<br>1960 - Psycho<br>1991 -<br>2007 - There will be blood<br>1997 - Titanic<br>2007 - Transformers<br>2009 -<br>1972 - The Godfather<br>1981 - Friday the 13th<br>2002 - Jackass: The Movie<br>1992 - Wayne's World<br>2009 -<br>1986 - Crocodile Dundee<br>1990 -<br>1999 -  Election<br>1970 -<br>1975 -<br>1979 - Star Trek: The Motion Picture<br>1968 - Rosemary's Baby<br>1981 - Raiders of the Lost Arc<br>1984 - Beverly Hills Cop<br>1934 - Cleopatra<br>1977 - Saturday Night Fever<br>1982 - 48 Hours<br>1974 -<br>2004 - The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie<br>2001 - Zoolander<br>1986 - Ferris  Bueller's Day off<br>1987 - Planes, Trains & Automobiles<br>1990 -<br>1979 -<br>1978 - Up in Smoke<br>1976 - The Bad News Bears<br>1988 - Scrooged<br>1996 - Mission: Impossible<br>1961 - Breakfast at Tiffany's<br>1994 - Forrest Gump<br>2008 - Cloverfield<br>1999 - South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut<br>1969 - True Grit<br>1979 -<br>1998 - The Truman Show<br>1979 - The Warriors<br>1988 - The Naked Gun: From the Files of Police Squad!<br>1956 - The Ten Commandments<br>2004 - Team America: World Police<br>1973 - Paper Moon<br>1971 - Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory<br>1986 - Pretty in Pink<br>2007 -<br>1993 -<br>1933 - Duck Soup<br>1958 - Vertigo<br>2006 - An Inconvenient Truth<br>1920 - Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde<br>1983 - Trading Places<br>1982 -<br>2011 - Rango<br>1995 - Braveheart<br>2008 - The Curious Case of Benjamin Button<br>1968 - Barbarella<br>1990 - Days of Thunder<br>1963 - The Nutty Professor<br>1984 - Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom<br>1971 - Harold and Maude<br>1987 - Fatal Attraction<br>1989 - Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade<br>1988 - Coming to America<br>1981 -<br>2009 - G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra<br>1976 - Marathon Man<br>1973 - Serpico<br>1996 - Beavis and Butthead Do America<br>1984 - Footloose<br>1969 - Once Upon a Time in the West<br>2001 - Lara Croft: Tomb Raider<br>1976 - King Kong<br>1939 - Gulliver's Travels<br>1944 -<br>1912 -<br>1953 - The War of the Worlds<br>2006 - Dreamgirls<br>2010 - Shutter Island<br>2003 - School of Rock<br>1950 -<br>1983 - Flashdance<br>1974 - The Godfather Part II<br>2011 -<br>1974 - Chinatown<br>2010 - The Fighter<br>2005 - Hustle & Flow<br>2011 - The Adventures of TinTin<br>1989 -<br>1974 - The Longest Yard<br>1942 - Sullivan's Travels<br>1954 - Rear Window<br>1969 - The Italian Job<br>1927 -