Hondo's Bar

Movie & TV Blargh

The Tower Theatre is one of Miami's oldest cultural landmarks. When it opened in December of 1926, it was the finest state-of-the-art theater in the South.

In the early 1960s, large numbers of Cuban refugees fled to Miami. The area surrounding S.W. Eighth Street – "Calle Ocho" – became a place of new beginnings. For many Cuban families, films at the Tower Theatre were an introduction to American culture in addition to pure entertainment. Soon the Tower Theatre altered its programming to include English-language films with Spanish subtitles, and eventually Spanish-language films. However, after almost sixty years of operation, the Tower Theatre was closed to the public in 1984.

In 2002, the City of Miami authorized Miami Dade College to manage theater operations. Now proudly under the auspices of the Cultural Affairs Department, the Tower Theatre continues to serve as a historic gathering place for cultural connections in Little Havana, where the community can enjoy alternative and culturally specific exhibitions and performances, free educational lectures given by MDC faculty and other scholars in our community, and both Spanish-language films and English-language films, subtitled in Spanish.

They are currently playing a movie called

Juan of the Dead

It's about Cubans, Zombies, and the lead character is apparently named Juan.

Even though he annoys the shit out of me at times, I think this has Pancho written all over it.

Juan of the Dead is a big thing since it's the first Cuban import to hit this country in the last 50 years not covered in refugees that's not tinged with Castro/Communism in fact from what I understand it kind of makes fun of that a bit. I don't know if it's any good and the trailer looked kinda "meh" but I have to admit its ballsy for this to be the first big step for the Cuban film industry to try and reach America.

• Upvote 1

Me and Katherine were discussing on whether or not we want to see the Hunger Games. I think it looks boring as hell personally and was telling her how it looks like a tween rip off of Battle Royale.

I stumble across this article 5 minutes ago. I do want to own that movie, and if a bluray isn't on the horizon I can settle for the first DVD release of it in the US.

edit: i didnt read close enough. There's a 4 disc bluray being released!

Edited by axel_napalm

I think it looks boring as hell personally and was telling her how it looks like a tween rip off of Battle Royale.

Only in as much as Battle Royale was a rip-off of The Running Man. It has one thing in common, kids kill kids, but other than that they're entirely different things. Hunger Games is approached from a perspective that I wont call smarter, but it's certainly more all encompassing, instead of just dropping all these kids on an island and letting us learn about them through murder it deals with the time leading up to the event, the event itself, and the aftermath. It's more akin to something like a cross between The Giver, The Long Walk, and The Running Man. It's pretty clear right off that Suzanne Collins has never seen/read Battle Royale.

Holy shit everybody, are you ready for the next big thing coming out of Japan? It's HORRIBLEWOMON! A game that combines the collect-'em-all attributes of Pok'emon with the horrible hate-cunts of prime-time cable television that somehow manage to be less likeable than women in Martin Scorsese films. Here's just a sampling of 3 of these wonderful creatures.

Rescue Me, Breaking Bad, and The Walking Dead spoilers:

Janetchu:

JanetGavinChu.jpg

Janetchu is a combination Electric/Irish type hailing from New York City. Janetchu's are best known for marrying FDNY members and then leeching off of them for the rest of their wives in an on-again-off-again circle of hatred. Janetchu may not want you to live with her our see your kids, but she damn well expects you to pay her rent because she never even has a job except those 2 episodes in season 4. Janetchu's are extremely jealous and get super mad at ex-husbands who sleep with other women even though Janetchu has been openly living with other men all season.

Her moves:

Shout - A room-clearing attack that causes Denis Leary to flinch.

Bad Decisions - Moves in with a pill-abusing nutcase in a wheelchair played by Michael J. Fox because he randomly gets hour long erections.

Hypocrisy - Starts sleeping with your cop brother even though it's a apparently a crime against humanity for you to do so with your cousin's widow like 4 years after he died.

Run - Asks for a whole bunch of money and then runs away to another state where she lives with a firefighter with a mullet she presumably met at a douche-bag convention.

Skylazard

Skylizard.jpg

Skylazard is a combination Fire/Dragon type that lives in the ABQ *Bitch* She is a creature of questionable moral standards and smouldering petty vengeance. Skylazard may be helping commit tax fraud but what's important is that what you're doing is wrong, husband with terminal cancer. Skylazard is best known for taking the good will given by others for something that's understandably troubling it and squandering it by being a horrible monster to anyone and everyone.

Moves:

Fuck Ted - That'll teach that bastard and his dipping sticks to try and work their way back into the lives of his own children!

Embezzlement - Skims a few thousands points of the top. So what? It's not like she's cooking meth.

Lockout - Locks you out of your house and refuses to let you see your own children even though you're still legally married.

I'm the Bitch - Guilt trips you for making her seem like a bitch even though she does it so much better all on her own.

Slowripoke

Slowripoke.jpg

Slowripokes brains work at a much slower rate than other Horriblewomons. She can only really concentrate on one task at a time and when moving from one to the other she often forgets the previous one. While Slowripokes are horrible mothers, wives, mistresses, schemers, and drivers they think they are proficient in all of these things at the same time.

Moves:

Trick - Tells you to kill your best friend because it's right. Gets mad at you when you do it.

Whoops - Start sleeping with your husband's best friend a couple months after you leave him to die alone in a hospital. Oh he's alive? Better never mention this!

Carl! - Oh shit, I have a kid don't I? Better go find him.

Crash - Wrecks a car on a clear stretch of road because one zombie is standing in it.

• Upvote 2

Jason Reitman, director of “Thank You For Smoking,” “Juno,” “Up In The Air” and “Young Adult,” has been organizing these intriguing movie-script “stage reads” in Los Angeles.

These are one-time deals. They’re impossible to get into.

So far:

1) “The Breakfast Club” (Aaron Paul as Bender!)

2) “The Apartment” (Natalie Portman as Fran!)

3) “The Princess Bride” (Patton Oswalt as Vizzini!)

4) “Shampoo” (Olivia Wilde as Jackie!)

5) “Reservoir Dogs” (Terrence Howard as Vic Vega!)

The sixth and perhaps last of these is “The Big Lebowski.”

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/54476