Hondo's Bar

Watchmen

Hmmm I mulled it over for a minute and even had a cigarette (that always signifies when I'm at optimal mulling conditions) but I still can't abide an A-lister in the cast. I mean RDJ rocked the shit as Tony Stark but I never really had any problem with him to begin with. He's a solid actor for the most part. Tom Cruise is very much hit and miss, surprise cameo in a certain movie notwithstanding.

The mere fact the cast are all relatively unknown (apart from The Comedian, I've seen him somewhere else and I can't quite remember where. Maybe its cos he looks like Javier Bardem.) just lends this kind of ground floor, grassroots vibe to the film that I dig.

PS Only exception to my point being Ron Perlman would be great as The Comedian. C'mon I know you can see it.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The problem with an A-lister as Ozy with no-names in the rest of the cast is that

Ozy is basically scenery until the last 2 chapters, when it's revealed he's the mastermind. Having a A-lister play him attracts attention to why he's not a major player throughout most of the story. It makes you think "why would Tom Cruise or Jude Law accept such and uninteresting role...unless there's more to him than meets the eye!" If it were Jude Law in a star-studded cast, that would be different, but as the only A-lister, it's draws attention to Ozy when the story is much better (to someone who hasn't read the book) if he doesn't attract any attention until the end. It's the reverse of the stroke-of-genius casting of Drew Barrymore in Scream, where is was included in the posters and in the top billing, only to be killed in the first few minutes. That was big name actor that turned out to be surprisingly unimportant. We expect big name actors to have significant roles.

Yes, she's like a plump Betty Page.

I'm looking at her Wikipedia page and she has some fun facts!

She's a quarter Irish, three quarters Mexican.

She was in the Broadway versions of The Vagina Monologues, Dreamgirls and Spamalot.

ABC liked her performance in Spamalot so much, she was offered a role on any ABC show she wanted.

She was the voice of Lammy in both UnJammer Lammy and Parappa the Rapper 2.

She was a cop in the first Spider-Man movie.

Going back a dozen posts or so, Robin Williams as Rorschach would have been a fucking atrocity. I know he's done all these "dramatic" roles the last few decades, but I never buy it. It always seems like he's doing a character to me, I never forget that it's Robin Williams pretending. That's not good acting. Don't get me wrong, some of the movies have been great but there is no way in hell he has the chops to play Rorschach.

I would have said the same thing about Jackie Earle Haley ( "wtf...is that the kid from The Bad News Bears?!?" ), but I recently saw Little Children and it totally redeemed him in my eyes. The dude can seriously project some quiet intensity. Incidentally Patrick Wilson is in Little Children too, which is kinda weird.

My only complaint is that I would have liked Dan Dreiberg about 30 lbs schlubbier. Get a little double chin thing going. Like an athlete that hasn't done shit for 15 years.

People keep saying the cast are no names and it's kinda bugging me... I mean, most of them aren't huge, but at least are recognizable.

Billy Crudup at least a lot of people would know from Big Fish and Almost Famous, and Matthew Goode was in Match Point which was pretty big, so he's recognizable from that. A ton of people watch Grey's Anatomy and are gonna know Jeffrey Dean Morgan. Jackie Earle Haley, Patrick Wilson and Malin Akerman are lesser known, but wasn't Haley nominated for an Oscar for Little Children?

I just wouldn't say they pulled a bunch of complete unknowns or anything.

And I totally think Jude Law would've worked. Brilliantly. But fuck Tom Cruise, that would have been awful.

WHy has noone mentioned Supernatural yet? JDM appears every other fucking episode in that because he's the main characters' goddamned father!! Sure it's a terrible show and I doubt anyone wishing to be taken seriously by their internet friends isn't gonna admit it, but it's been an elephant in the room for 3 pages now!

Patric Wilson is in Lakeview Terrace and that's renting like crazy. I completely agree that they aren't unknowns for the most part. I also agree with being completely unaware of the Supernatural connection. I've never watched that show and I don't care about being taken seriously. I've never watched Grey's Anatomy either. I guess I'm just too damn cool! :D

Or maybe I'm just a filthy liar.

I haven't decided yet.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/40214

The reviews are out, full of spoilers tho. I am totally looking forward to seeing this now.

a qoute, for those of you who don't want to see the spoilers!

you can see Snyder knows this is his one shot to get it absolutely right, a sequel is not going to happen - there will be no room to expand upon themes, or up the ante on action ever again...so he just goes for it. You can almost hear him saying 'fuck it, why not? it's in the book, so it's in here'...and that is something to be applauded.

Archived