Hondo's Bar

Watchmen

So the movie looks at least in visual effects it will closely mirror the comic(your never getting it back nick, revenge is mine!) though I'm not sure I like all the costume choices. I have heard they tried to change the ending and it's been redone a few times, anyone have any info on what changes they made?

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[ spoiler ] use these without the spaces to write your spoiler. [ /spoiler ]

I think the nukes make a lot more sense for the film than the "squid alien thingy". That thing would take too much exposition and set up. Rumor is that in the film, Ozy's plan is to make the nukes look as if they came from Dr. Manhattan, which, I think, is much simpler, tidier and more sensible than the plan from the book. It brings everything full circle, and it adds even more reason for Ozy to discredit Manhattan and push him into exile.

Call it blasphemy if you want, but I think it's exactly the ending Moore would have written if he spent a little more time writing laterally instead of vertically.

[ spoiler ] use these without the spaces to write your spoiler. [ /spoiler ]

I think the nukes make a lot more sense for the film than the "squid alien thingy". That thing would take too much exposition and set up. Rumor is that in the film, Ozy's plan is to make the nukes look as if they came from Dr. Manhattan, which, I think, is much simpler, tidier and more sensible than the plan from the book. It brings everything full circle, and it adds even more reason for Ozy to discredit Manhattan and push him into exile.

Call it blasphemy if you want, but I think it's exactly the ending Moore would have written if he spent a little more time writing laterally instead of vertically.

What do you mean "writing laterally" and "vertically"? Yeah I think that would be a good ending. I mean the trailer looks very faithful to the book (to the point where you can actually pinpoint panels from the book) but a little artistic licence shouldn't upset the fanboys.

• 2 weeks later...

The actual ending to the film adaptation has been revealed

Dr. Manhattan confronts Rorschach in the snow and proposes that they fight crime together every Saturday morning on the "Dr. Manhattan and Rorschach Power-Hour". After an epic battle with the evil alien entity that is possessing Ozymandias, Rorschach disappears in a burst of inky smoke (one of his many powers). Meanwhile Dr. Manhattan causes the earth to spin backwards, thus reversing time (naturally) and saves everyone in New York.

Much better ending imo. Alan Moore is a hack.

What do you mean "writing laterally" and "vertically"?

I mean that, in my opinion, sometimes Moore has a tendency to spend most of his time and effort adding layers of depth into his stories and the forward momentum of the storyline suffers from it. The ending that Snyder and co have come up with is, I think, a lot more efficient and makes a lot more sense with the rest of the story. But having it in the book would have meant leaving out a couple of the layers that Moore loves to have. It worked in the book, but the new ending is much better for a more streamlined film adaptation.

Is that a joke? No seriously is it a joke?

It's a joke. Thank god.

The Watchmen Black Freight DVD, starring the voice of Gerard Butler will come out March 24th.

519EWycTMrL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

As an added bonus, the dvd is also said to contain Under The Hood which, in the universe of the Watchmen film, is a documentary rather than a book.

I mean that, in my opinion, sometimes Moore has a tendency to spend most of his time and effort adding layers of depth into his stories and the forward momentum of the storyline suffers from it. The ending that Snyder and co have come up with is, I think, a lot more efficient and makes a lot more sense with the rest of the story. But having it in the book would have meant leaving out a couple of the layers that Moore loves to have. It worked in the book, but the new ending is much better for a more streamlined film adaptation.

It's a joke. Thank god.

Ah I see what you mean now. Yeah I couldn't agree more.

The extra material looks promising. Good way of handling the depth of the story while not alienating newcomers. Seems we can have our cake and eat it too.

The Black Freighter was a fun element to the story, I wonder if the movie will have the obvious posterized colors and large benday dots that make it look more like a pulp novel. I think it is clever to attach as stand-alone DVD for the fanatics, because the narrative of the Black Freighter might not work in the film.

I honestly as excited to see elements of "Under the Mask" also, I found that most interesting sub-text to the original book.

Oh yes. The text chunks in Watchmen are part of the story, it's the main reason I was so dubious about the movie.

I'm glad to see that they found a way to handle it without just omitting them entirely. Makes me a tad more optimistic.

The computer at work shows that the Watchmen Motion Comics are being released on DVD March 3rd. I've been getting them off xbox live and I highly recommend checking them out. The movement and editing are done quite well, a lot of thought clearly went into the music and sound. My only complaint is that only 1 guy does all the voices.

He does a great job, and god bless him for being so dedicated, but I really would have appreciated at least one actress.

That's a couple of the rumors, sure. John Cusack was also considered for Nite Owl and Simon Pegg for Rorschach. Sigourney Weaver was tapped to play the original Silk Spectre. There was a time when Darren Aronofsky was set to direct, and after that David Hayter was planning to direct the movie himself.

It's good that there are no A-listers on this cast, more money towards production, which Watchmen needs to succeed artistically, I just hope the movie succeeds at the box office despite the lack of star power. That said, I'm not a fan of the actor playing Ozymandias. Too thin. We'll see how he plays it.

The Black Freighter Trailer

I totally forgot it was supposed to be animated! :ohface: It looks really slick and stylised while keeping some of the vivid colourisation. Its doesn't sacrifice any of the charm of the original.

Ozy is the one role I would have liked to have seen an A-lister in. I really loved the idea of having Jude Law play him. Before that, Tom Cruise was linked to the role and I actually think that could have worked really well too.

Blech! Having no A-listers in this movie is a stroke of genius. It lets people appreciate the movie on its own merits and shows the incredible skill of Snyder and the production team in creating intense anticipation and optimism for a movie without any famous faces to parade around.

Would the simple but iconic Watchmen logo look as good with Tom Cruise Jude Law etc over the top of it? Plus it will undoubtedly be a great spawning ground for the A-listers of tomorrow.

Archived