True Romance (by a narrow margin)

Pulp Fiction

Kill Bill Vol. 2

Jackie Brown

From Dusk Till Dawn

Kill Bill Vol. 1

Death Proof

Four Rooms

Natural Born Killers (Like I said though, not his fault)

and yes, Reservoir Dogs is my favorite Tarantino film. What can I say, I enjoy listening to a group of men stand around an empty room yelling and swearing at each other for an hour and a half about awesome events we never actually get to see take place. It's like The Breakfast Club with guns!

eh, tarentino's room was the best one, for me. death proof and believe it or not dusk till dawn rate low on my scale. seeing as how you love Resevoir so, you ever see the asian one, City on Fire? its mostly the ending that inspires it.

didnt he also produce Iron Monkey?

• 2 months later...

No Reviews yet? Let me know if I missed something. Feel free to merge this into the thread where people are reviewing the movie.

Inglorious Basterds, like Tarantino's other work, extrapolates from a group of older films those elements which are most sensational, immediate, and easily digestible. Here we have a group of 9 remorseless Nazi hunters, a gorgeous Jewish survivor out for revenge, and a vicious Nazi Col. nicknamed the "Jew Hunter." It doesn't get more immediately satisfying than that.

The performances are great, Brad Pitt is hilarious and oddly plausible as the lead Basterd. Christoph Waltz easily gives the film's best performance as Col. Hans Landa, and I believe he also has the most screen time, which is great, because he is one of those villains that makes every scene he's in totally gripping. It's funny, because for all the talk about how much of this film comes from other work, and the shots, and the writing and all this, it's this guy's performance that's the #1 reason people will love this. Eli Roth, director of Cabin Fever and Hostel, and a man who has cameos that are chronically bad, surprises with a decent performance as the most brutal Basterd, and Mélanie Laurent plays the female bad ass as tough, capable, and vulnerable.

Most of the movie has you somewhere close to the edge of your seat. Like Pulp Fiction, it's separated into chapters, and the suspense is upped when the events in each one converge. Unlike Pulp Fiction, it's not primarily playing with the order of events.

We get to see each group of characters move into position for a pitch perfect final chapter of payoff. It plays out as if the characters from about 3 different WWII movies had business with the same target and met in a scene directed by Brian De Palma.

There are some lulls though and it's 2 and a half hours definitely aren't perfect. Mostly it's the same problem I have with Death Proof. Tarantino's affinity for characters just hanging out and discussing films he likes just doesn't gel with the film we are actually watching. While I think it's great that everyone in America gets to hear how great a director GW Pabst is, and there are some films where I could just watch the characters sit around for hours, (Casavettes's stuff comes to mind) it feels clunky and awkward here.

That being said, there are only minor flaws and speedbumps here, and while this doesn't have the subtlety of it's influences, there's a lot to be said for giving the audience exactly what they want, and Inglorious Basterds was one of the more entertaining films I've seen in a good while.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

^^im with ASC, Tarentino's most fun flick since uh, Pulp Fiction? (sorry baytor, i dig Jackie Brown too though).

so much to love here, i gotta own this one. Pitt's accent, bear-jews, hitler-with-a-cape...and really, LL nailed it:

this was a giant jewish-fantasy-revenge flick that made you feel so awesome when it came around full circle and did what you didnt think it was gonna.

so, so awesome.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived