Hondo's Bar

Berserk

The NZA

berserk%20-%20v19c05p098-099%20copy.JPG

please note: the thread for the anime based on this book can be found here)

So, after seeing the anime - which, again, is great but leaves you really wanting to know what else happens - I sought out this book, and it's been an ongoing title for years now - its up to volume 30, about 250 issues thus far.

The Band of the Hawks describes Berserk as:

Created By Kentaro Miura, Berserk Is A Gothic Tale Set In The Middle Ages Which Chronicles The Life And Trials Of Gatsu. He Is A Very Strong And Skilled Swordsman. He Fights So That He Can Determine His Own Destiny. Taking Your Destiny Into Your Own Hands And Not Letting Fate Do It For You Is The Constant Theme In This Series.

While this is true - destiny is defintely a central theme - it should be noted this is the darkest, most violent comic/manga i believe I've ever read. Both the sex and the violence (sometimes both) are quite detailed, and the book is outright horrifying at parts. The violence is so commonplace, you almost become numb to it, utnil the envelope is pushed further.

This, however, isnt done entirely for shock value, i believe: the context of the story, and the effects this horror has on Guts/Gatsu are shown as they take their toll, as well as how far he is willing to go to put an end to it. The book can go from a slow character-build of a fairly large, almost RPG-ish cast of characters, to silent action scenes moving the plot at breakneak speed with little warning. Manga being what it is, there's many silent spreads like the one up top, so thought I admit the series is a long one, I've honestly breezed through it in a week or so (im on vol. 28), and though after seeing the anime, I simply wanted resolution quickly, I honestly hope to see a lot more to come. The book is pretty badass, and though most arcs admittedly havent been as eventful as the first one that said anime was taken from, there's been more than enough moving along to keep me really interested.

Fans of dark, gothic action stories with badass heroes and very, very nasty villians will most certainly enjoy this book, but those easily offended or faint of heart should definitely look elsehwere.

Here's to seeing if anyone else has ever given it a try; hopefully ill have copies for Da Cap'n soon enough.

berserk.jpg

berserk---v13c07p153-copy.jpg

• 1 month later...

So, im finally all caught up - vol 30, about issue 256 or so - jesus, the story goes way beyond the anime, and its not even done yet.

bishopcruz thinks it mgiht be in its final arcs soon enough, but....

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

Fuck, wish i had someone to talk to about this one....the torrent for the entire series is prolly harder to find right now, but it all fits on one disc for those interested in reading this (quite large) series, lemme know who's interested.

I could probably use it also as my old copy is on a PC that is dead as dirt right now. Not to mention I htink I only made it it volume like 27.

BTW, anyone who can afford to keep up with the actual Dark Horse manga release, because shit like this deserves to be supported in the US, too often we get generic Shonen or SHojo titles and very rarely to we get stuff as good as Berserk.

True, i intend to buy this down the road somewhere too, just wanting to see how much is left....

I got blank CD's now, so once my midterm next week's over, i should be down for burning copies of this.

Bandofthehawks.org says volume 29 should be ready by the end of this month....

• 2 weeks later...

Read Vol. 1 last night, and I can confidently state that this is some awesome shit. Brilliant artwork, cool story, and Puck and Guts are perfect foils of each other. If you get the time, I'd be obliged to you for that burned CD...otherwise Ima be out've a small fortune for those 30+ volumes.

P.S. I hear the series doesn't really pick up till about Vol. 3 or 4. That about right?

Cool...to be honest rasta, i couldnt qutie say: i skipped much of the early stuff, as the anime leaves you off around vol. 16 or so, i wanna say.

PM me your address, ill see when i can get the series out to you, you should definitely get to read the rest of it.

• 4 months later...

Here it is, the whole series (up to current issue), with some possibly better translations than i sent Whiterasta...

A2298-11.thumbnail.90.jpg12705.jpg10486.jpgberserk_vol26cover.jpg

Gattsu, known as the Black Swordsman, seeks sanctuary from the demonic forces that persue himself and his woman, and also vengeance against the man who branded him as an unholy sacrifice. Aided only by his titanic strength, skill and sword, Gattsu must struggle against his bleak destiny, all the while fighting with a rage that might strip him of his humanity. Berserk is a dark and brooding story of outrageous swordplay and ominous fate, in the theme of Shakespeare's MacBeth.

Guts, the Black Swordsman, wanders around in a mediaeval world slaying demons as they are attracted to a demonic mark on his neck. To his help he has inhuman strength gained from a harsh childhood lived with mercenaries, a gigantic sword, an iron prosthetic left hand and the elf Puck. In his search for vengeance on the one who gave him the mark, he meets many interesting persons and creatures, whom all is affected by him in one way or another.

[ADULT] Berserk vol 1-30 & chp 267

Size: 1.79 GB

Berserk torrent

I got blank CD's now, so once my midterm next week's over, i should be down for burning copies of this.

I can I have a copy. I'll give you a few blanks. still you own me miracleman and a few others now that I think about.

Plus the games go past the anime also. Like the one on the dreamcast.

Actually, im looking to re-download them off that torrent; rasta too noticed the fansub quality drops here & there to bad engrish, im hopin these'll be a bit better. The series is worth it, but once its done, yeah, ill happily toss that & miracleman on a few discs (or 1 dvd) for you.

And yeah, the PS2 game (that im waitin to see ported one day...) is said to pick up around vol 14-29, meaning right after the anime to almost where the book's at now. That's gotta be awesome, cause by the anime's end, you really think there's not too much story left to tell, but its almost like you barely got half of it.

Well, i just finished the set (not sure how many seeders are still on, so if youre interested, now's the time to get it), havent checked to see if the rough spots of translation were improved yet, but most of its by The Hawks and theyre a good group. Its got up to the first issue of vol. 31, which i believe is pretty current.

I skipped the first 12 originally because that's what the anime contains, but looking back over them, there's a lot that's left out, especially the Skull Knight, so im going to read them soon. I plan on making a copy for Apanchalypse/Cap'n, as well as Newtype, but lemme know if anyone else's intereted, i believe Whiterasta enjoyed it.

ps

• 3 weeks later...

Yo IC, just finished up through issue 258, and craving more. I was kinda confused when Serpico went and acted the prick, challenging Guts to a duel and all. His motive wasn't even that clear...was he trying to protect Farney from being hurt by Guts in the event that he lost control of the Berserker armor? Anyways, I thought he'd have more sense than to challenge the black swordsman to a one-on-one.

So this series is still running in Japan, huh? No end in sight? I just hope Miura can pull together a good ending. I'm not expecting anything too happy, this being a gothic fantasy and all, maybe the best I can hope for is a tragedy with some sort of silver lining. 'Course, if I were to write the ending, it would consist of Guts ripping Griffith a new vagina, then proceeding to brutally rape and kill that smiling little Sonia girl that follows Griffith around (god, I hate her), then riding off into the sunset with a fully recovered Caska to live with all the elves. Too optimistic? :2T:

Send me along those improved translations if ya can, I'll replace your blank CD's (got a great big stock). Cheers dude.

P.S. panch, yeah, was thinkin' the same thing about a live-action Berserk. Would hafta be a particular story arc or an offshoot maybe, no way to condense something that epic into a single film. :2T:

• 3 months later...

Alright, so, Compared to the anime that I just finished watching yesterday, and after reading a bit of the manga, I have to admit the manga is just much more gruesome. I love it. THe violence and sexual content is just so mind blowing. Crap! i've never read such horror! I didn't feel "dirty" after watching the anime, I felt dirty after reading some of the manga.

I thought the anime was awesome, until I started to read the manga. (dont' get me wrong, I still enjoyed it!) I was a bit suprised of how much they cut out. Perhaps it was just too sick to animate? I mean that whole scene

Also another thing they seem to have cut out was the Skull Demon Knight guy, which to me was a shocker because he plays a vital role in the series it seems.

Yet another thing that just grossed me out was in Volume 14. They show Caska giving birth to a demonic baby! I dont' know about you guys, but as a chick, that shit is creepy.

I don't know but at one point or another I felt that this whole idea of fate and not having a choice, seemed to somewhat contradict itself. I say this because, take for instance, Griffith who is supposedly fated to be this chosen one, but yet has the choice to become this Demon God or not. Of course he chooses to do so. But where's the fate in there,when in the end he made his choice?

Any fans out there have any thoughts?

Hah, really cool that you liked it, its not something i put out there to everyone cause you do indeed need a strong stomach or at least tolerance for such things.

I stand by the Macbeth analogy, for the first 13 volumes (thats what the anime comes from, but even wikipedia says its only dead-on accurate for about 5-8 or so). I guess i dont see it as contradicting cause, again, Griffith wouldntve made that decision earlier on, but -

Band of the Hawks should have vol. 31 ready in a few months or so, i figure, at the latest. Im surpried Panch hasnt read this yet, but he's up to about vol. 10 or so with the Dark Horse translations. Bishop says he doesnt think it'll go on for much longer, but....there's a lot left to do in the book, and its not racing to there, so i think its got a ways to go, myself. Its just that much more epic when you realize the anime itself was basically a prologue.

On a side note, im gonna be downloading the import PS2 game soon, lookin forward to that - it seems to pick up on "The Black Swordsman" stuff right after the anime ends.

OH MH, you're hands will feel dirty! Enjoy!

I stand by the Macbeth analogy, for the first 13 volumes (thats what the anime comes from, but even wikipedia says its only dead-on accurate for about 5-8 or so). I guess i dont see it as contradicting cause, again, Griffith wouldntve made that decision earlier on, but -

Hmm... you're right being tortured and what not for a year would do that shit to anyone.

Edited by Senshik

No, youre right, it was his choice, just...

MH, ive made copies before, i can fit it all on one DVD and have room for more comics to boot, if youd like. But the anime's prolly an even better intro to the series, its up to you.

No, youre right, it was his choice, just...

Edited by Senshik

MH, ive made copies before, i can fit it all on one DVD and have room for more comics to boot, if youd like. But the anime's prolly an even better intro to the series, its up to you.

oooh enticing... hehe

Cj has the anime, so I'll prolly watch it here soon! start on it within the week hopefully.

I"ll see if I can find it somewhere on the net, but if not, I will (and I PROMISE... not like those other weak promises, ha!) send you something! I'll have Cj compile a list of anime and manga we have and you can tell us what ya want! Hopefully we'll have something you haven't seen yet.

• 3 weeks later...

*I'm so addicted right now to this manga! It's so dark, something totally different. The character volume is incredible. There's so much going on it's no wonder it's taken 10+ yrs to finish!*

On Guts, Griffith, and Fate: