Hondo's Bar

The Walking Dead

Director Frank Darabont (of The Mist and a couple of other swell movies) has been signed up not just to direct a TV series based on Robert Kirkman's zombie-riffic The Walking Dead comic, but also write it. And the best news? It's going to be on AMC. From Variety:

Cabler is close to finalizing one of the richest development deals ever with Darabont to write and direct a series adaptation of the Image Comics graphic novel series "The Walking Dead," penned by Robert Kirkman. Gale Anne Hurd of Valhalla Motion Pictures and David Alpert of Circle of Confusion are also on board to exec produce.

Project is set among a group of zombie survivors of an apocalypse who are led by a police officer, Rick Grimes, in search of a safe place to live. Numerous editions of the "Walking Dead" graphic novels have been published since 2003.

Joel Stillerman, AMC's senior veep of programming, production and original content, said the project appealed to the cabler because of "the quality of the storytelling" in Kirkman's work. The series will stay faithful to the tone of the original novels, he said.

"This is not about zombies popping out of closets," Stillerman said. "This is a story about survival, and the dynamics of what happens when a group is forced to survive under these circumstances. The world (in 'Walking Dead') is portrayed in a smart, sophisticated way."

Whether you like zombies or not, Kirkman does pretty respected work, and for all that AMC airs shit like Crossroads nowadays, the channel's two series -- Mad Man and Breaking Bad -- are two of the best on TV. In all honesty, an AMC TV series of The Walking Dead could end up one of the best nerd things on the planet. I really hope this makes it to fruition.

Damn, they've changed over the years. Better them than one of the ABC, FOX, NBC networks (probably better than SciFi SyFy), but HBO or Showtime'd prorobably be best for this series, wouldn't it?
If it went to HBO we'll never see an ending. Edited by newtype

I'll take real blood and fake tits any day of the week.

Are we dreamcasting this yet?

I say Rutina Wesley would make a pretty good Michonne.

1250268343.jpg

1250277021.jpg

1250247873.jpg

1250285131.jpg

Kinda hard to tell from these pics, but the chick is ripped. I could totally see her swinging a Katana and, besides that weird accent she does, she's pretty good in True Blood.

This is great news!!

Good call on Erick Lindsay!

If it went to HBO we'll never see an ending.

Wasnt that the whole idea since the beginning???

51tmLC9i9DL._SS500_.jpg

A continuing story of survival horror

(Im just jokng with you... I know what you mean by that...)

Edited by Boogie

• 8 months later...

not who LL would've cast, but not bad?

andrelincoln%20grimes.jpg

I admit, Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead comic is one of the holes in my nerd education. I'll have to correct this now that AMC has ordered six episodes of its Walking Dead TV series, which is coming along swimmingly enough that they've cast the lead: British actor Andrew Lincoln -- who was in a show called Teachers and got to make out with Keira Knightley in Love Actually -- will be ex-cop Rick Grimes. I don't have any strong feelings about this, but Robert Kirkman seems pleased (from the press release):

"Andrew Lincoln, wow--what an amazing find this guy is. Writing Rick Grimes month after month in the comic series, I had no idea he was an actual living breathing human being and yet here he is. I couldn't be more thrilled with how this show is coming together," said Kirkman.

See? If he's good enough for Kirkman, he's good enough for you.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Thar be zombies in them thar hills! Locked for at least six episodes. Guess this means I'll need to re-read that first arc or two of the series.

On Wed., Jun. 2 production began in Atlanta for AMC's adaptation of the Robert Kirkman comic The Walking Dead. The six-episode first season -- written, produced and directed by three-time Academy Award-nominee Frank Darabont (The Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile) -- follows a group of survivors, led by police officer Rick Grimes, traveling in search of a safe and secure home after a zombie apocalypse.

To whet your appetite for this tale of the living and the undead, AMCtv.com is pleased to present this exclusive first sneak peek at the Walkers -- the series' titular flesh-eating creatures.

The zombies are looking pretty cool. I'm psyched this is in the hands of Frank Darabont.